Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Savage XP vs Axis

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    LoneWolf_052713
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 14

    I completely rebuilt a Savage Axis SR. in 308. They're great little rifles. Here's the rig I run.





    Parts list:

    Savage Axis SR .308 Base
    SSS Axis Pro Tac Stock
    McGowan 26in SS 1 in 10 twist Varmint Contour
    Rifle Basix SAV-1 Trigger @ 1.5lbs
    SWFA SS 10x42 in SWFA Low Rings
    EGW 20MOA Rail
    D.D. Ross Tactical Bolt Knob
    Custom 10Rds Magazine
    Harris 9-13" SLM Notched Leg Bipod (6-9 knock off in pic)
    Rattle Can Camo Job by me.

    If you have any questions about it let me know. I've played with just about everything on the rifle.

    Comment

    • #17
      2shotjoe
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2011
      • 26702

      Originally posted by LoneWolf_052713
      I completely rebuilt a Savage Axis SR. in 308. They're great little rifles. Here's the rig I run.





      Parts list:

      Savage Axis SR .308 Base
      SSS Axis Pro Tac Stock
      McGowan 26in SS 1 in 10 twist Varmint Contour
      Rifle Basix SAV-1 Trigger @ 1.5lbs
      SWFA SS 10x42 in SWFA Low Rings
      EGW 20MOA Rail
      D.D. Ross Tactical Bolt Knob
      Custom 10Rds Magazine
      Harris 9-13" SLM Notched Leg Bipod (6-9 knock off in pic)
      Rattle Can Camo Job by me.

      If you have any questions about it let me know. I've played with just about everything on the rifle.
      That's really nice.

      Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Kestryll
      ..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...
      Originally posted by Libertarian777
      ...Don't pick either side....

      Comment

      • #18
        LoneWolf_052713
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2013
        • 14

        Originally posted by rm1911
        only comment on the axis is this: overall very nice shooters but the trigger leaves much to be desired. sad because otherwise a very accurate gun. there are some vids on youtube that show how to cut some of the spring and lighten it, but it's still not great. I think the ruger american has a pretty decent trigger. also, the marlin X7 is really nice. I just PPT'd a marlin recently and haven't gotten to the range yet with it, but firing snap caps at home, it's a nice clean crisp trigger. and adjustable too, kinda like the savage accu-trig.

        if you're set on savage, a great choice, look at the next model up. the ones with the accu-trigger. probably worth the extra $$.
        Had my first experience with a Ruger American back on October 18th. It's factory Stock is twice as bad as the Axis's Factory stock! I couldn't even get it to zero because of how much flex it had in the forearm for the guy. I think he took it back and got a Savage, but I agree the trigger is better.

        Thanks Bloodhawke, I put a lot of personal time into getting it just right! I'm still thinking about painting the barrel with a flat grey grill paint to cut down the shine.
        Last edited by LoneWolf_052713; 11-02-2013, 1:16 PM.

        Comment

        • #19
          Masterdebater
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 1095

          my buddy has one in 243, stock form leaves much to be desired. after much polishing and an in depth trigger job, down to about 2lbs maybe less havent actually had it checked, you can blow on the trigger and itll go off and made it somewhat adjustable. if u get one get it in 243, its an AWESOME setup for the money. he uses it for coyote with handloaded ntx bullets and nosler 55gr that thing is money at 200 yards. drops a coyote with little to no pelt damage and 105gr loaded for deer

          Comment

          • #20
            SOAR79
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 2944

            I have an Axis XP, great rifle!

            Comment

            • #21
              Masterdebater
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2009
              • 1095

              got my eye on a doohickey to measure trigger pulls now that i have a few customers lined up, im sure this non accu trigger setup i did is much better than an accu trigger lol

              Comment

              • #22
                NorCalFocus
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2013
                • 3913

                Well I pulled the trigger on it today. I looked around and found Bass Pro had the best price, so its in jail now. I went ahead and got the .243. I'm also planning on getting her a Boyds stock and upgrading the bolt knob.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Model94Guy
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2012
                  • 669

                  The biggest difference is the XP comes with an adjustable trigger. Last week i bought a 111 XP in 7mm Rem. Mag.. Just posted a thread about bedding a Boyd's stock.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Masterdebater
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 1095

                    good choice norcal you ont be disappointed, wish you were closer to work my magic on the trigger for ya!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      cantcme
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 1772

                      Wildsports in Orangevale has them for 299.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        NorCalFocus
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2013
                        • 3913

                        Originally posted by Masterdebater
                        good choice norcal you ont be disappointed, wish you were closer to work my magic on the trigger for ya!
                        My little brother says he can do it. So we'll see. I might even have it done before I give it to my wife for Christmas.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          MKT
                          Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 118

                          I picked up a Savage Axis XP Youth in .243 for my 15 yo daughter. Got a smoking deal on it at just under $400 out the door for a new rifle and the youth rifle comes with a 50% off coupon for an adult stock, valid for 5 years from date of purchase. Not sure we'll need it unless she grows again and the rifle fits her fine now.

                          While waiting through the ten days I loaded some trial ammo, 100 grainers with varying charges of 4895. Sighted in with factory and ran a few of each load over the chrono then she shot for group. That little youth rifle found two loads it liked with her posting 3/4" groups. I have since built several loadings between to two loads the rifle liked to see it we can dial it in a little tighter.

                          Also while waiting for the 10 day lunacy she completed the online portion of her CA Hunter Safety course and will finish up the last 4 hour block early next month.

                          The nice thing with the .243 is for those who reload several calibers, you don't need another shell holder. .243, .270, 30-06, .308 all share the same holder.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            NorCalFocus
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2013
                            • 3913

                            I have the entire Lee Shellholder kit, it was only $20 lol, but that is good knowing it uses the same one.

                            I got to get dies and brass now. My dad said he would donate some 85g soft tips he has for his 6mm. I already have Varget, so I'm going to stick with that.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1