Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Savage 338 Lapua Magnum

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dfletcher
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2006
    • 14810

    Savage 338 Lapua Magnum

    I have a Remington MLR in 338 LM and find the rifle is overall just a bit too light for me. I shoot off a bench only and the HS stock, the barrel profile and fairly small brake just don't work well for me, so off to the gun store it goes. I'm looking at the Savage with the conventional HS stock with the high, straight comb. Does anyone have one, how does it shoot, etc?
    GOA Member & SAF Life Member
  • #2
    Whiterabbit
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2010
    • 7595

    I had the LRH which might or might not be close enough to what you are looking for with respect to information. That being said:

    It's light. REALLY light. That HS stock will have to be pretty heavy to make a dent in that desire for a heavy rifle.

    The brake is REALLY effective though. Obnoxious and loud, but effective. makes it a joy to shoot with respect to recoil, and a pain to shoot with respect to noise.

    Mine was a tack driver. It was not uncommon to actually stack bullets into the same hole at 50 or 100 yards. My vertical groups at 300 yards were 1.5" tall. Roughly. These are all low-number roundcount groups because the barrel gets really, really hot fast. Lots of cool time needed for lots of shooting.

    Comment

    • #3
      Clever
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 591

      Look into a TRG 42 338 Lapua Mag. It will cost you but the engineering is 1st class. You will never question anything, the recoil is like a 260 Remington. Been shooting this caliber since 2009 through a TRG...
      There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for.

      Comment

      • #4
        LynnJr
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2013
        • 7958

        I've got one that was a 338 Lapua that was converted to a improved 338 norma case in Santa Rosa.Were abouts do you shoot and on what day of the week?
        It is deer season right now but if we are not hunting you can shoot it for yourself and see what you think.
        It is light.
        Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
        Southwest Regional Director
        Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
        www.unlimitedrange.org
        Not a commercial business.
        URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

        Comment

        • #5
          DPmax
          Member
          • Sep 2012
          • 330

          If you want a tank, the Savage 110BA can't be beat for the price and weight, big brake as well. While not as refined as a TRG 42, they are sub-moa capable.
          Never follow the advice of Calguns Addicts,
          They clearly don't know what they are talking about.

          Comment

          • #6
            ryno066
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2007
            • 1275

            Shot a 110ba today. I really like the gun. Buddy hit a 5" steel target at 150yards standing. So the muzzle break so r is really well to. The trigger is butter too. Hope this helps a litte.

            Comment

            • #7
              Clever
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 591

              TRG 42 338 Lapua Magnum

              Originally posted by DPmax
              If you want a tank, the Savage 110BA can't be beat for the price and weight, big brake as well. While not as refined as a TRG 42, they are sub-moa capable.
              Only use Lapua brass.. Hornady and others will make your bolt stick.
              There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for.

              Comment

              • #8
                dfletcher
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Dec 2006
                • 14810

                Originally posted by Clever
                Look into a TRG 42 338 Lapua Mag. It will cost you but the engineering is 1st class. You will never question anything, the recoil is like a 260 Remington. Been shooting this caliber since 2009 through a TRG...
                I've been looking "up market" as well. Since I dropped off the Remington 700 MLR (shameless plug - at Krausewerks in San Mateo for a mere $1,600.00 "flexible" ... ) I've looked at the TRG. Always liked it and may go that way. A bit pricey but I know it's all quality and a nice set up. I have an HS Precision HRT in 378 Weatherby Magnum and have been looking at the same set up in the 338 LM.
                GOA Member & SAF Life Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  Whiterabbit
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 7595

                  Originally posted by Clever
                  Only use Lapua brass.. Hornady and others will make your bolt stick.
                  how funny. I used PPU brass and military surplus brass. Both shot incredibly accurate.

                  And both made my bolt stick. Not the whole way. nice and loose till the very very top of the bolt lift.

                  I thought it was just me.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Clever
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 591

                    savage

                    Originally posted by Whiterabbit
                    how funny. I used PPU brass and military surplus brass. Both shot incredibly accurate.

                    And both made my bolt stick. Not the whole way. nice and loose till the very very top of the bolt lift.

                    I thought it was just me.
                    How could it be you? If the brass is on he softer side it will fire form into the chamber. Now Savage is known for having this problem, My Brother has one and it shoots well. We had the bolt lock with 90.3gr of Retumbo, I thought the rifle was faulty, needed a rubber mallet to pry that ***** open.. It turned out to be the brass and the bad workmanship of Savage. As per our gunsmith the interior of the action was rough and unlike anything he had seen..I guess Savage is ok. I have been shooting the TRG 42 since early 2009 and will not settle on anything else, not even custom.
                    There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Whiterabbit
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 7595

                      Originally posted by Clever
                      How could it be you? If the brass is on he softer side it will fire form into the chamber. Now Savage is known for having this problem, My Brother has one and it shoots well. We had the bolt lock with 90.3gr of Retumbo, I thought the rifle was faulty, needed a rubber mallet to pry that ***** open.. It turned out to be the brass and the bad workmanship of Savage. As per our gunsmith the interior of the action was rough and unlike anything he had seen..I guess Savage is ok. I have been shooting the TRG 42 since early 2009 and will not settle on anything else, not even custom.
                      could have been my load, my bullet choice, loading practices, outside temp, gun, etc. lots of factors that could have made it "just be me". Besides, the bolt lifted easily. Just that last little click at the end. From what you said it could have been easily polished out.

                      Most important was how it shot. Which was amazing. Frankly, if I ever want to build a heavy long range rifle, I will probably start with that action again. I have no reservations about the strength or capability of that action, and that it fits a 378 Bee out of the box is a happy bonus.

                      Only reason I sold it was that it wasnt the right action to make a safari rifle from, and there was nothing I could do to fix that. The savage is a GREAT rifle.
                      Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-05-2013, 8:27 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        DPmax
                        Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 330

                        Originally posted by Clever
                        Only use Lapua brass.. Hornady and others will make your bolt stick.
                        Yep, Lapua all the way.
                        And as for the Savage's sticking, I've found the camming action to be a bit odd. If you do not go fully up before making a back motion their bolts stick, every other bolt rifle I've used doesn't require such an overly crisp/deliberate motion.

                        The 100BA is a nice shooter at a great price.
                        Never follow the advice of Calguns Addicts,
                        They clearly don't know what they are talking about.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1