Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Un-sporterizing an m1917 in .30-06?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MissiontoMars
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 1544

    Un-sporterizing an m1917 in .30-06?

  • #2
    CartridgeCalls
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2016
    • 1389

    Weight saving and versatility
    Cartridge Calls, Predator, Duck and Big game calls made from real brass cartridges. 100% Disabled Veteran Owned and operated Small Business.
    www.cartridgecalls.com
    Get them in close, Get the job done!

    Comment

    • #3
      dfletcher
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2006
      • 14811

      I would go with Numrich or SARCO. Apex, Northridge too. So long as the metal is intact, no one ground off the rear sight wings and left the permanent parts as is, should be pretty straightforward.

      Sporterizing military rifles was a common way of getting a good hunting rifle on the cheap.
      GOA Member & SAF Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        echo1
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 3932

        I've got one that salvageable. I picked up the furniture first, from an estate sale, then looked for a good candidate. PAX

        You need a crew

        "A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

        Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

        Comment

        • #5
          LynnJr
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2013
          • 7958

          If the ears have been ground off and the hole in the receiver has been welded up I don't think you can unsporterize it.
          Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
          Southwest Regional Director
          Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
          www.unlimitedrange.org
          Not a commercial business.
          URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

          Comment

          • #6
            echo1
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 3932

            Originally posted by LynnJr
            If the ears have been ground off and the hole in the receiver has been welded up I don't think you can unsporterize it.
            If you're talking about mine (the above rifle), the metal is unmolested, or I wouldn't have gone for it. PAX
            You need a crew

            "A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

            Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

            Comment

            • #7
              MissiontoMars
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 1544

              Definitely modified. Looks like maybe a diopter rear sight was mounted in place of the stock peep?
              A4DD2347-3A06-47B7-9033-D5D832C198DC.jpg

              Comment

              • #8
                LynnJr
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7958

                Echo 1
                Yours is not sporterized like the gun belonging to MissionfromMars.
                It was common to unbolt everything from the receiver then using a bench grinder you would remove most of the ears then you finish it off with a file. Once that is done there is almost a circular hole left in the top of the receivers that they would then weld in or plug using silver solder or braze.
                Once that is done it is all but impossible to replace. I will post a picture of mine after I eat some chocolate cream pie.
                Last edited by LynnJr; 12-28-2022, 2:44 PM.
                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                Southwest Regional Director
                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                www.unlimitedrange.org
                Not a commercial business.
                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                Comment

                • #9
                  MissiontoMars
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 1544

                  Originally posted by LynnJr
                  If the ears have been ground off and the hole in the receiver has been welded up I don't think you can unsporterize it.
                  Thats what i was thinking. Thanks for confirming.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MasterChief
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 642

                    Speaking only for myself...I would first evaluate the rifle in its present sate.
                    Is it a low-end Bubba job or a high-end gunsmith conversion?
                    Some of the period sporter conversions are potentially more valuable than a well meaning desporterization.
                    Could you post detailed images of the rifle in question? Thanks.
                    Best wishes. Dave

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MissiontoMars
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 1544

                      Originally posted by MasterChief
                      Speaking only for myself...I would first evaluate the rifle in its present sate.
                      Is it a low-end Bubba job or a high-end gunsmith conversion?
                      Some of the period sporter conversions are potentially more valuable than a well meaning desporterization.
                      Could you post detailed images of the rifle in question? Thanks.
                      Best wishes. Dave

                      Thanks, Dave. Only pic i have at the moment:

                      53C30CE0-1714-4951-9BD1-6CF893F270A8.jpg
                      Last edited by MissiontoMars; 12-25-2022, 8:50 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mojaveman
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 1177

                        Can I find stocks on eBay?
                        Did an M1917 Enfield project about a year ago.

                        There are still a lot of parts out there.
                        "Any honest and hardworking man is made better yet by a large bowl of good chili."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Kerplow
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 8875

                          I kinda like the period correct bare bones sporters. I’d rather have an unmolested example, but I think they’re neat in their own right.
                          Originally posted by MelvinoelGreat**
                          My friend, your Chargers sure are looking good tonight. They are only losing by 14 at the half, not to bad my friend.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            highpower
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2012
                            • 5334

                            From the extremely small pics posted, I would say that it is not going to be possible to restore that rifle. Save your money and just buy the best unmolested example you can find.

                            As a rule of thumb, once the sight ears have been removed, the front sight replaced with a ramp sight and the receiver has been drilled, the rifle is beyond saving.
                            MLC member.

                            Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

                            Dumocraps suck balls.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jigenax
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2010
                              • 1107

                              Restoration isn't possible with yours. The ears and original sights are gone. It also looks like the barrel was shortened. Best leave it as an example of that era of sporterized milsurps.
                              USMC 1985-93 0331/32 & 0341
                              NRA Endowment Life Member
                              CRPA & SASS Life Member

                              Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
                              Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1