Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help me decide on a scope for my new Rifle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Oceanbob
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jun 2010
    • 12720

    Help me decide on a scope for my new Rifle

    After several attempts to find a Ruger American Ranch Rifle 5.56mm 16" Threaded FDE because it uses AR mags, I finally lucked out with a notification from Riflegear (my favorite) and the rifle is being shipped from the Texas store. This morning. With so many scope options (or dot) what would you put on her..?

    I am thinking about beyond 100 yards. Got any recommendations?
    I have time with free transport from Texas and a 10 day DROS.

    Much appreciated

    Bob



    May the Bridges I burn light the way.

    Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

    Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
  • #2
    jimmykan
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 3103

    Budget?

    I'm thinking a 1-8X like the Vortex Strike Eagle if you don't mind the second focal plane reticle.

    Comment

    • #3
      PoorRichRichard
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 3313

      Same question as Jimmy. Budget? I’m a hunter, so I want to have the ability to get out a little further than x8 power. I really like my vortex diamondback 4x12x40, so much so that I actually just bought a second. You can pick them up for under 200 bucks if you shop around.
      1A - 2A = -1A
      Originally posted by Wherryj
      If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
      ...I'd have $0.10.
      Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
      --- Dan Bongino
      Originally posted by EM2
      Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
      Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.

      Comment

      • #4
        kcstott
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 11796

        there are a bunch of 1-4x, 1-4.5x, 1-6x, 1-8x, and 1-10x scopes.

        as you age more magnification is better. Just be sure to get a decen scope as edge distortion becomes a real issue on LPVO's

        Comment

        • #5
          theduracellbigd
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 1139

          OP, please describe more of your intended purpose for this rifle and that will help. You said, beyond 100 yards. How far beyond and what are you shooting at, targets, steel, coyotes, self-defense application?

          Comment

          • #6
            sigstroker
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2009
            • 19897

            There's an Athlon 2-12 that looks interesting, but it's in the $500 area.

            Comment

            • #7
              Sir Toast
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2012
              • 3140

              I put a Athlon Midas on a Bergara B-14R rimfire rifle. It is an amazing combination. You can't go wrong.

              I've already shot in a benchrest match with it. Did pretty good.


              Comment

              • #8
                Sir Toast
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 3140


                Comment

                • #9
                  baih777
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 5680

                  pics attached.



                  works good for my old eyes.
                  it is second focal plane. i leave it on 20x and shoot 100 yd and 300 yd

                  i also use a bipod with swivel.

                  your going to need a cheek riser.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by baih777; 07-11-2022, 1:32 PM.
                  Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                  I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                  I'm Back.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bigbossman
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 11281

                    For hunting - Leupold 3x9x40 all day, every day.
                    Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                    "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cz74
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2020
                      • 912

                      OP, I have same rifle. I've shot it out to 500 yards up a small hill at San Luis Obispo range, the scope I used is Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50, I also put Area 419 muzzle brake. Ringing steel plates on that hill at 500 yards is amazing with 75-grain BTHP. have fun with this rifle when you get it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Oceanbob
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 12720

                        May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                        Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                        Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ronin6
                          Member
                          • Dec 2021
                          • 321

                          Look at Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            wayno21
                            Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • 354

                            nightforce has awesome glass. i finally gave in and picked one up for my 6.5CM build. I have ran Zeiss, Leopold, Vortex, looking through quality glass is a different beast. Plus you run a few 1301 so you know quality.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              hambam105
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 7083

                              Know how to focus the scope.

                              This time of year in the early 2000s, we had about a dozen dudes with about 30 thousand dollars worth of
                              new rifle scopes all exceeding $500 a piece at our disposal. Lucky for me two guys in the group showed the
                              rest of us yahoos how to focus a rifle scope.

                              It is not about brand, it's about learning how to evaluate rifle scopes.

                              The synergy & group learning curve went parabolic. That was a fun day.

                              Since then manufacturing techniques have raised quality while cost went down even amongst the cheapo scopes.
                              Many of these modern high ticket scopes are Chinese or Russian manufacture.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1