Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I Inherited a couple rifles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MountainMike
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 674

    I Inherited a couple rifles

    My dad is up there in age and he hasn't shot them in decades so he gifted his Remington 700 in 30-06 and Winchester model 70 in .300 Weatherby Mag. Fortunately he had dies for them but even then I don't think I'll shoot them much. As a kid I just remember them hurting. For game I use a .308 but maybe its time to expand the toolbox. What say you calguns? Safe queens? or carry on the legacy and fill the freezer with "dads guns?"
  • #2
    pennstater
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 4671

    You were gifted two damn nice rifles. I'd load for those and keep the legacy alive. No doubt. Alaska? Work on that Mod 70 in .300 Weatherby mag. Two fine rifles you have there.

    MLC

    Comment

    • #3
      Blue
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 8072

      Use them! My youngest son shot his first pig with his great grandfathers 30-06. Make some memories!
      Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
      Let my aim be true and my hand faster
      than those who would seek to destroy me.
      Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
      Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
      And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
      sigpic
      NRA Member

      Comment

      • #4
        Steve45-70
        Member
        • May 2022
        • 158

        Originally posted by MountainMike
        My dad is up there in age and he hasn't shot them in decades so he gifted his Remington 700 in 30-06 and Winchester model 70 in .300 Weatherby Mag. Fortunately he had dies for them but even then I don't think I'll shoot them much. As a kid I just remember them hurting. For game I use a .308 but maybe its time to expand the toolbox. What say you calguns? Safe queens? or carry on the legacy and fill the freezer with "dads guns?"
        Okay I learned something. I did not know that the Winchester was chambered in the Weatherby Mag. Had to do a quick check. I do have a Weatherby that is in the 7mm Rem Mag so I guess they went both ways.

        I love my 700 Remington's. That 30-06 would be great for most anything. The 300 may kick a little. Might want to add a brake, depending on the age.

        I would definitely keep them. I have a my Dad's Model 70 30-06, he bought in the late 50's. Don't shoot it much but will never get rid of it.

        Comment

        • #5
          200Apples
          -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Dec 2011
          • 7217

          Prior to reading Blue's fine suggestion, I was going to suggest keeping the .300 Weatherby Magnum and selling the aught-six, since .308 will do most of what the -six will do, barring a bullet heavier (longer) than 180 grains (typically).

          That is if you don't have the room for both of them in your armory. Too, why not wait awhile and in the meantime give the matter some further thought...
          .
          "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

          NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

          Comment

          • #6
            200Apples
            -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2011
            • 7217

            Then Steve lobbed one in there... dagnabbit. Now I vote to keep both.

            .
            "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

            NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

            Comment

            • #7
              theduracellbigd
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2011
              • 1139

              Load them and hunt with them. One of my favorite whitetail hunts was getting to carry my late down granddad's rifle.

              Comment

              • #8
                Blue
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2005
                • 8072

                I also don’t know how big your family is, but someone else might appreciate one of grandpas guns at some point even if you’re not into them. Good way to let legacies live.
                Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
                Let my aim be true and my hand faster
                than those who would seek to destroy me.
                Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
                Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
                And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
                sigpic
                NRA Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  MountainMike
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 674

                  Originally posted by Steve45-70
                  Okay I learned something. I did not know that the Winchester was chambered in the Weatherby Mag. Had to do a quick check. I do have a Weatherby that is in the 7mm Rem Mag so I guess they went both ways.

                  I love my 700 Remington's. That 30-06 would be great for most anything. The 300 may kick a little. Might want to add a brake, depending on the age.

                  I would definitely keep them. I have a my Dad's Model 70 30-06, he bought in the late 50's. Don't shoot it much but will never get rid of it.
                  They're both late 80s production and the 300 is mag-na-ported. Selling was never an option. My dad is an unsentimental capitalist and would not be offended by their sale but the thought is distasteful to me so it would have to be a ridiculous figure for me to reconsider.

                  Regarding room in the safe... I was already over capacity so that not a problem.

                  But you guys have helped me decide. They're built for hunting, and that's what they'll continue to do.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Steve45-70
                    Member
                    • May 2022
                    • 158

                    Originally posted by MountainMike
                    They're both late 80s production and the 300 is mag-na-ported. Selling was never an option. My dad is an unsentimental capitalist and would not be offended by their sale but the thought is distasteful to me so it would have to be a ridiculous figure for me to reconsider.

                    Regarding room in the safe... I was already over capacity so that not a problem.

                    But you guys have helped me decide. They're built for hunting, and that's what they'll continue to do.
                    Heck did not see you were in Alaska. Those will be perfect for there.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JTROKS
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 13093

                      I wish my dad gave me something. You got some nice rifles take them out to the range. If your dad can still ride to the range why not take him to hear his rifles roar.
                      The wise man said just find your place
                      In the eye of the storm
                      Seek the roses along the way
                      Just beware of the thorns...
                      K. Meine

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        JackEllis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • 2731

                        I'm pretty sure you won't want to fit either rifle with a recoil pad but you could wear a shoulder pad. The rifles will still push but the pad will keep you from getting bruised.

                        I have a Winchester 670 in .30-06. Not a collector's item so I had a recoil pad fitted. It made all the difference.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          divingin
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2015
                          • 2522

                          You're probably a bit bigger than you were when they hurt you. Recoil in an -06 is sort of substantial, but not unmanageable.

                          You could always have a smith put a 308 barrel on it, and hang on to the .30-06 barrel to return it to original configuration should you desire.

                          No comment on the Wby Mag.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MountainMike
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 674

                            The 300 will likely get new glass. I wouldn't call either of them collectors items so I'm not above mounting a thicker recoil pad.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Kevin11mee
                              Member
                              • Feb 2021
                              • 179

                              I say hunt with them. Both are nice rifles and both cartridges are a nice step up in performance from the .308. Another option would be to build on the Remington 700, the long action of the .30-06 gives you lots of options if you want something with good ballistics and less recoil.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1