Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

6.5 PRC Next build ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • baih777
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2011
    • 5680

    6.5 PRC Next build ?

    Was thinking about building a 6.5 PRC.
    dont want to use the std action with detachable mag without the binder plate. thinking that would still limit me using the long bullets.

    do i use a Defiance XM action ?
    or just use a Defiance Long Action mag bolt face with the std mag DBM.
    if i use the long action. will it still feed with the extra length in the mag being too long.

    if the brass 6.5 PRC becomes obsolete, i can still build a 300 WSM.
    but am i limited to just these two cartridges ?
    Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
    I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
    I'm Back.
  • #2
    Kevin11mee
    Member
    • Feb 2021
    • 179

    You will need either the Defiance XM or a long action with a magnum bolt face for the PRC. The long action would mean you could potentially build 300wm, 7mm mag etc in the future. If you go with the Xm (medium length) you could probably do .300 WSM, 7SAUM, 6.5 SAUM in the future. The long action will feed the PRC fine, but short fat cartridges like the PRC sometimes don't feed as smooth as standard size cases (.270, .30-06, etc.). The 6.5 x 284 is another option that you can build on a long action. Ballistically the same as the PRC and much more available in terms of brass.
    Last edited by Kevin11mee; 12-25-2021, 11:01 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      RNE228
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2013
      • 2458

      6.5-284 is a good option. Been around for years. Very successful long range match round with tons of reload data available.

      Pro's
      - Crazy accurate
      - Long time established cartridge
      - Mild recoil
      - Lots of load data
      - Works in short action with short to medium length bullets

      Cons
      - Limited expensive ammo if you don't reload

      Got my last three Wyoming deer with one; definitely a fan.

      Comment

      • #4
        DDRH
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2008
        • 2756

        Most short actions will work. I've got 2 6.5 PRC on Nucleus actions. Only small issue, is when ejecting a full cartridge, the ejection port is too short. Have to release the mag and push the cartridge down away from extractor (CRF). Mine are loaded coal~2.97". Some SA will have enough port length to eject a full cartridge.

        Medium (XM) or long action will work as well. I would say medium (XM) would be best. You can load the cartridge out to 3.2".

        Zermatt/Big Horn is about to release a medium action. I believe it's similar to defiance's XM length actions.

        Tooless bolt head changes. So if you wanna switch to, say 6.5-284, just need new bbl and 308 (.473) bolt.



        Edit: looks like it the same as Lone Peaks medium action length.
        Last edited by DDRH; 12-27-2021, 3:21 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          sigstroker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 19872

          Reportedly an Accurate mag without binder plate can fit a 2.96" cartridge, I assume with a short action magazine. I don't have any 6.5 loading gear, so I can't verify. But I think you can load an effective cartridge with that combo.

          What bullets do you load at 2.97"?

          Comment

          • #6
            DDRH
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2008
            • 2756

            Originally posted by sigstroker
            Reportedly an Accurate mag without binder plate can fit a 2.96" cartridge, I assume with a short action magazine. I don't have any 6.5 loading gear, so I can't verify. But I think you can load an effective cartridge with that combo.

            What bullets do you load at 2.97"?
            Accurate-Mag 300WSM Mags without binder. 308 without binder will work, but will need to open feed lips a bit. Holds 7 rnds. It's actually slightly longer than the 2.96".

            I load the 147 ELD at around that length. Some will load it out further ~3"+ (Single feed for SA length)

            At 2.96 the bearing surface is passed the neck and into the shoulder. At ~3"+ you don't have to worry about donuts, but not sure on this, never loaded it that long before.
            Last edited by DDRH; 01-01-2022, 1:26 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              tladues
              Member
              • Apr 2006
              • 165

              Built a 6.5 PRC on a BigHorn Origin, pretty slick action, their bolt faces are easily swapped.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #8
                sigstroker
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2009
                • 19872

                Originally posted by DDRH
                Accurate-Mag 300WSM Mags without binder. 308 without binder will work, but will need to open feed lips a bit. Holds 7 rnds. It's actually slightly longer than the 2.96".

                I load the 147 ELD at around that length. Some will load it out further ~3"+

                At 2.96 the bearing surface is passed the neck and into the shoulder. At ~3"+ you don't have to worry about donuts, but not sure on this, never loaded it that long before.
                Oy, so a 153 would really be stuffed down in the case.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57179

                  Originally posted by sigstroker
                  Oy, so a 153 would really be stuffed down in the case.
                  Which is why it's better to chamber 6.5PRC or 6.5x284 or most of the SAUMs and WSM's you want to use with long pointy bullets in long actions.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1