Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best Beginners Bolt Action Rifle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RNE228
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 2458

    Good points.

    The OP should consider hitting the ranges where he might shoot "long range" and see what people are doing and using.

    In my area, Sac Valley has a number of different opportunities for shooting longer ranges on paper and on the steel silhouette. They have monthly shoots by a number of clubs.

    Check the local ranges and clubs. Go to a few shoots. That would be a good start point for the OP

    Originally posted by DArBad
    I understand what you are saying, Sig.

    But the OP has not given any qualifier when he mentioned " Long range ". He has not indicated whether he has done any shooting at all. And so, I have no clue how knowledgeable or not the OP is with regards to actual distance perception. Reading his initial OP, it is indicative that he is a newbie at this.

    I am advising the OP from this vantage point, so to speak. Your knowledge and Randall's about the subject matter of " Long Range " is solid, encyclopedic even.

    Since there was no qualifier of yardage or range from the OP, I said what I said. It is like saying " I want to get into car racing, and I want to get a FAST car ". So, how fast are we talking here??? NASCAR fast? Formula 1 car fast? Street fast? Nurburgring fast? etc.

    Many a times, a new person to long range shooting or who wants to delve into long range shooting would speak of " long range " but would be surprise at the actual distance perception--------this happened to me because I was new then.

    Comment

    • Preston-CLB
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2018
      • 4357

      I wonder what the OP wound up getting, assuming he did make the leap.

      He has only 9 posts, so hasn't been active here.

      So, OP: How about an update?
      -P
      ? "If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper."

      Comment

      • DArBad
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 3002

        Originally posted by Preston-CLB
        I wonder what the OP wound up getting, assuming he did make the leap.

        He has only 9 posts, so hasn't been active here.

        So, OP: How about an update?
        -P
        Damn, I failed to notice that. After all the things I posted.... I am embarassed to admit I must have wasted my effort thinking of a good advise or at least, I think was a good advise

        Comment

        • BigBoyPinoy
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 1909

          Originally posted by DArBad
          Damn, I failed to notice that. After all the things I posted.... I am embarassed to admit I must have wasted my effort thinking of a good advise or at least, I think was a good advise
          Maybe OP no longer needs the advise, someone new to LD shooting may benefit from this thread 😁
          sigpic
          Handguns/Shotguns/Rifles

          Comment

          • Cowboy T
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2010
            • 5725

            ^^ Yeah, possibly. So, for those who come along looking for this kind of information, the biggest thing is to improve your marksmanship skills. Virtually any decently made rifle will outshoot you. First, learn good marksmanship, which means you don't have to spend a lot of money on gear. Get your good habits in place. You can get a fine setup for this purpose for about US $700, easily. I know, 'cause I've done it several times. My $700 rifle setup rings the 18"x24" gong at 1,000 yards with satisfying consistency.

            It does not take a lot of money to get proficient at marksmanship!
            "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
            F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
            http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
            http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
            http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
            ----------------------------------------------------
            To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

            Comment

            • divingin
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2015
              • 2522

              Originally posted by yacko
              Your gear HAS to be better than you, or you can not improve to match it.
              Very good.

              A shooter can very rarely shoot a firearm to it's full potential. A shooter can never shoot a firearm better than it's potential.

              I will make one other observation: Having something that you know shoots really well means you don't need to worry about IDing where the problem lies: it's you. Makes it easier to figure out what you need to work on.

              Comment

              • W.R.Buchanan
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 3401

                Since everybody's got an opinion on what is best, I'll give you mine.

                Since you know nothing about Rifles you need to learn about them before you go down the road of the most complicated shooting discipline there is.

                First I would recommend going with a Bolt Action Rifle in .308 caliber. There are many to choose from and Lynn suggested a Rem 700 which would be a good choice I'd suggest a Ruger American just because they are inexpensive and work very well.

                As far as an Optic, Vortex, or Leupold are good options that won't break the bank, and yet still deliver excellent images..

                A Ruger American and a Vortex scope will get you in the door. < $800

                But there is something else you will need to learn how to do. Reload your own Ammo!!! Shooting factory ammo is only good for amassing a stash of Brass to reload.

                Every gun is different and each one has preferences as to what it likes to shoot best. Usually that is NOT Factory Loaded Ammunition!.

                Since you probably don't want to set up an entire Reloading facility at your house, I Highly Recommend a Buchanan Precision Machine Portable Hand Reloading Press. available here www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

                The gun will get you started so you can figure out what you really want down the road if you decide to continue in the Discipline. If you don't you can easily resell it for what you've got in it. The Reloading Press will load any Brass Cartridge below .50 BMG, so if you keep shooting it will work for you for the rest of your life. I have never seen a used one for sale yet.

                My .02 on this subject.

                Randy.
                Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-21-2021, 3:10 PM.
                Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
                Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
                Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
                Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

                It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
                www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

                Comment

                • Dvrjon
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Nov 2012
                  • 11370

                  Originally posted by FishnHunt
                  What did the OP get?
                  Bored? Stunned? Buried in detail? Paralysis by Analysis? I'm late to the party, but let's review....
                  Originally posted by Dandy04
                  Hi all,

                  I'm looking at getting into rifles soon for long range. The longer the better. I have a good eye and would really like to test it.

                  I currently don't own any rifles of any type.
                  This is a novice who may think that long range with open sights is "long range". A "good eye" seems irrelevant with a $4k scope. Regardless of the scope, if you can't dope wind, heat risers and mirage, your scope won't help.
                  Originally posted by Dandy04
                  Are there any rifles you would recommend for someone just getting into the hobby? Ideally I'm looking for something that is reasonably priced but will last awhile and that I won't have to replace for a better version within a year.
                  IMLTHO, any novice getting into a sport with a limited understanding of the prospects of their enjoyment will either wind up with an initial purchase sitting in the safe or upgrades every year to meet the hunger to improve when they outshoot their equipment. I have 2 athlete daughters, and 5 grandkids. I know about sport escalation...and I don't want to contemplate what I've got lying around in diving equipment after over 50 years in that "sport".

                  Randy's pretty close to my opinion on this, except reloading comes last. If you can't shoot, perfect ammo won't help.
                  Originally posted by Dandy04
                  Or, if there are any great threads or websites you can recommend that I can read and research, that would be a great help, too!
                  Kudos to the folks who suggested joining them or referred them to clubs or shooting programs where the OP could possibly try things out before handing over the credit card.

                  In this regard, Lynn Jr. comes forward and offers to let the OP shoot his guns with his ammo at ~2 miles. That kind of openness makes me want to grab my Dad's 40-yr old Rem .308 and factory ammo and join up in NORCAL with his crew. I'm 70 and won't hit much other than the ground (gravity helps), but that's a guy, and by extension a group of guys, I wouldn't mind knowing before I'm dead.

                  Best.
                  Last edited by Dvrjon; 09-22-2021, 2:52 PM.

                  Comment

                  • sigstroker
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 19903

                    Here's the thing - you can get a cartridge and rifle capable of shooting well at long range, but you don't HAVE to shoot it at long range. You can shoot it at short range while you learn. When you're ready to shoot at long range, voila! You already have the gun and cartridge for it.

                    Comment

                    • LynnJr
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 7958

                      Originally posted by Dvrjon
                      Bored? Stunned? Buried in detail? Paralysis by Analysis? I'm late to the party, but let's review....

                      This is a novice who may think that long range with open sights is "long range". A "good eye" seems irrelevant with a $4k scope. Regardless of the scope, if you can't dope wind, heat risers and mirage, your scope won't help.
                      IMLTHO, any novice getting into a sport with a limited understanding of the prospects of their enjoyment will either wind up with an initial purchase sitting in the safe or upgrades every year to meet the hunger to improve when they outshoot their equipment. I have 2 athlete daughters, and 5 grandkids. I know about sport escalation...and I don't want to contemplate what I've got lying around in diving equipment after over 50 years in that "sport".

                      Randy's pretty close to my opinion on this, except reloading comes last. If you can't shoot, perfect ammo won't help.
                      Kudos to the folks who suggested joining them or referred them to clubs or shooting programs where the OP could possibly try things out before handing over the credit card.

                      In this regard, Lynn Jr. comes forward and offers to let the OP shoot his guns with his ammo at ~2 miles. That kind of openness makes me want to grab my Dad's 40-yr old Rem .308 and factory ammo and join up in NORCAL with his crew. I'm 70 and won't hit much other than the ground (gravity helps), but that's a guy, and by extension a group of guys, I wouldn't mind knowing before I'm dead.

                      Best.

                      We are holding our first start up match the 3rd Sunday in October and you are welcome to shoot my rifle chambered in 338 Lapua Ackley Improved at that match with plenty of high quality ammunition free of charge and no pit duty.
                      The idea is to promote the shooting sports and not to keep everything a big secret.
                      The rifle in question will be a Remington 700 because it is the best base rifle you can build from and the tolerances on this rifle are tighter than most custom actions.
                      If you join us you will be shooting a true up 700 with an aftermarket bolt put together by Billy Goat Machine in a Manners folder topped with a 7-35 atacr shooting 256 warner flatline bullets in Virgin 338 Lapua brass. The rifle has around 20 rounds downrange and has taken one pig at 110 yards and will be deer hunting until this Sunday.

                      The advantage to a new shooter is the 700 can be used to shoot any cartridge under the cheytac class and do it cheaply.
                      If you decide shooting isn't your cup of tea selling a 700 is simple and you don't lose a pile of money. Due to the 700 having a round receiver most competent gunsmiths can true one up and add modifications as money allows so a new shooter isn't forking out $1500 on a custom at one time.
                      For Joe average shooter there isn't a better place to start even if out of the box brand xyz costs $100 less.

                      My contact # is 707-791-8147 for anyone who is interested in actually shooting or just to observe.
                      Last edited by LynnJr; 09-22-2021, 1:33 PM.
                      Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                      Southwest Regional Director
                      Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                      www.unlimitedrange.org
                      Not a commercial business.
                      URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                      Comment

                      • Dvrjon
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Nov 2012
                        • 11370

                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        Your quoting is all screwed up in the post above.
                        You are attributing the OP's text to fishnhunt.
                        Thanks...fixed...that was interesting.

                        Comment

                        • Flouncer
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 1309

                          Originally posted by TMB 1
                          91/30 Mosin Nagant
                          I was going to say the same thing. Learn iron sights.
                          A Nation of Sheep Will Beget a Government of Wolves

                          Comment

                          • ilaw
                            Member
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 154

                            Originally posted by BigBoyPinoy
                            Maybe OP no longer needs the advise, someone new to LD shooting may benefit from this thread 😁
                            Very true. I have found it quite informative.

                            Comment

                            • bigbossman
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 11281

                              Man, what a generous offer. Sure wish I was close enough to participate!


                              Originally posted by LynnJr
                              We are holding our first start up match the 3rd Sunday in October and you are welcome to shoot my rifle chambered in 338 Lapua Ackley Improved at that match with plenty of high quality ammunition free of charge and no pit duty.
                              The idea is to promote the shooting sports and not to keep everything a big secret.
                              The rifle in question will be a Remington 700 because it is the best base rifle you can build from and the tolerances on this rifle are tighter than most custom actions.
                              If you join us you will be shooting a true up 700 with an aftermarket bolt put together by Billy Goat Machine in a Manners folder topped with a 7-35 atacr shooting 256 warner flatline bullets in Virgin 338 Lapua brass. The rifle has around 20 rounds downrange and has taken one pig at 110 yards and will be deer hunting until this Sunday.

                              The advantage to a new shooter is the 700 can be used to shoot any cartridge under the cheytac class and do it cheaply.
                              If you decide shooting isn't your cup of tea selling a 700 is simple and you don't lose a pile of money. Due to the 700 having a round receiver most competent gunsmiths can true one up and add modifications as money allows so a new shooter isn't forking out $1500 on a custom at one time.
                              For Joe average shooter there isn't a better place to start even if out of the box brand xyz costs $100 less.

                              My contact # is 707-791-8147 for anyone who is interested in actually shooting or just to observe.
                              Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                              "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                              Comment

                              • LynnJr
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 7958

                                Bigbossman
                                I think we are holding the 2022 3K match in Southern California if that is closer?
                                You are welcome to join us and the offer is the same as above.
                                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                                Southwest Regional Director
                                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                                www.unlimitedrange.org
                                Not a commercial business.
                                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1