Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone noticing lots of scammers going through our WTB section?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Geofois
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 1609

    Anyone noticing lots of scammers going through our WTB section?

    This probably isn't the right forum but I put a WTB for 1903 front sight blades and someone that joined June 2021 with zero posts etc says he has some to spare. Me having a large magnifying glass and excellent investigative skillz thought maybe it's a scam =P. I should post another WTB and see.
  • #2
    SanDiego619
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2013
    • 14210

    Yep, tons of them, and they are still scamming people even those who should know better.
    Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

    Comment

    • #3
      Geofois
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 1609

      When I would get new peeps asking to buy ammo I started screening who I respond to or deal with.

      Comment

      • #4
        BOBGBA
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Sep 2010
        • 2400

        Two different people PM'd me (probably on different items) and said a friend of theirs had whatever I was looking for and I could call them at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Both from new users.

        Deleted the PMs and went on my way.

        Op - It's hard to tell from your post. Ask the guy where he's located, what's his phone number and how much he wants.

        You'll get a better idea if it's a scam or not.
        God Bless America - My iTrader rating - https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...2-transactions

        Comment

        • #5
          Geofois
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 1609

          Good idea. He doesn't have a location either show up but can't hurt to ask.

          Comment

          • #6
            JackEllis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2015
            • 2731

            I had a new user with IIRC 1 post ask to buy some brass I was suspicious but it turned out the individual in question had a friend or a contact listed somewhere on this web site so I reached out to them. In that case the buyer was legit.

            Remember the old cliche: Trust, but verify.

            Comment

            • #7
              Supersapper
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2014
              • 1230

              location not showing

              Originally posted by Geofois
              Good idea. He doesn't have a location either show up but can't hurt to ask.
              I've noticed this too. Someone once mentioned that this has a way of happening when you set everything up via a smartphone or something. Tech issue? Maybe, but it seems consistant.
              --Magazines for Sig Sauer P6
              --Walther P-38. Prefer Pre 1945
              --Luger P08

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.

              Comment

              • #8
                ar15barrels
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 57175

                Originally posted by Geofois
                Good idea. He doesn't have a location either show up but can't hurt to ask.
                After you get his number, post it on reddit in one of the scammer revenge threads so the guys that enjoy messing with scammers can play...
                Randall Rausch

                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                Comment

                • #9
                  plymouth
                  Junior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 35

                  Beware of the certified check scam. Common on Craigslist. Works like this:
                  1. Buyer is hot to claim seller's item and offers full price plus 20% to hold it until their certified check gets to seller and is deposited. It will be cleared initially.
                  2. Before shipping, buyer claims a sudden change of fortune due to some unforseen event and requests return of sale basis minus the earnest fee.
                  3. Seller thinks 20% is easy money for not even shipping the item and returns the principal amount to buyer.
                  4. Weeks later the cashier's check is found to be fraudulent and seller's bank withdraws funds from sellers account.
                  5. Seller doesn't get to keep the 20% and is now out the full sale price.

                  Some people fall for this thinking cashier's checks are guaranteed funds and are further lulled into a sense of security because of the delay in proving the checks fake.

                  Oddly, there was a WTS on a much in-demand item in a long-guns-for-sale thread last few months that stated "only cashiers checks will be accepted." Can't figure that one out...scam or invitation?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Scratch705
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2009
                    • 12537

                    I would say for new users just dont do any sale that isnt face to face and cash in hand.

                    That usually stops most scammers. There will be a very small percent of dedicated scammers that may still continue but a face meeting you can suss them out
                    Originally posted by leelaw
                    Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                    Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                    Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                    Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                    Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Geofois
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 1609

                      He had responded that he can't send a picture because of his new account, then I asked if he can text and he said the same generic response that he can't text because of his account is too new =/. Then I said texting uses a phone number then he asked for my number. I didn't care to go back and forth since it's obviously a scammer. Just googled Connelly66 and saw a calgun post and he is banned. He responded to someone else's WTB and offered something for $120.75 USD. Hehe, of course people will noticed that sounds like he's in another country.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        peppermintman
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 1943

                        Why not post a wtb on CMP ? That’s where I look ��

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Supersapper
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2014
                          • 1230

                          Originally posted by Scratch705
                          I would say for new users just dont do any sale that isnt face to face and cash in hand.

                          That usually stops most scammers. There will be a very small percent of dedicated scammers that may still continue but a face meeting you can suss them out
                          This for the win. I will permit two things if not cash, especially on something where both of us are far enough apart that driving is impractical:

                          ---Postal money order. Buyer has to fully out the cash to get the money order and when I get the money order, I then cash it right at the post office. While I am there, i send off the item for sale.

                          ---Personal check drawn on a local bank. Similar item, but I will go to the bank, verify funds, cash it on the spot, then mail the item. Yes...most banks charge a cashing fee, but the buyer pays that. I typically don't recommend that on any order or purchase from me less than $150.

                          It's a little more work, but it really helps prevent scamming for me and the stuff I'm selling.
                          --Magazines for Sig Sauer P6
                          --Walther P-38. Prefer Pre 1945
                          --Luger P08

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            drkphibr
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2010
                            • 2462

                            I recently posted in WTB for a specific rifle/caliber and received the following PM:
                            Hi Buddy, If you are still looking to purchase the xxxxxxx Rifle in xxxxxxx, I have one I'm looking to sell, kindly reach out to me on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com.

                            Thanks.

                            I had a feeling right away this was a scam, but wanted to validate my suspicions, so I replied with:
                            Responding to the PM you sent me regarding the xxxxxxx Rifle in xxxxxxx.

                            Seller's response:
                            Hello xxxxxxxxxxx,
                            I have here an excellent xxxxxxx Rifle in xxxxxxx. I will take $350 (Paypal F&F) including FFL Fees and Insured Shipping and I will be shipping from Montana. Let me know your interest in it.
                            Thanks.

                            My reply
                            Sorry, PayPal and firearms don't mix well. Plus that magazine is a no-no in CA, so not compliant. Thanks anyway.

                            Seller's follow up:
                            My final reply:
                            I'll pass...not my first time either.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bigbossman
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 11280

                              Originally posted by BOBGBA
                              Two different people PM'd me (probably on different items) and said a friend of theirs had whatever I was looking for and I could call them at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Both from new users.

                              Deleted the PMs and went on my way.

                              Op - It's hard to tell from your post. Ask the guy where he's located, what's his phone number and how much he wants.

                              You'll get a better idea if it's a scam or not.
                              I've gotten those.... pretty common. In my case, a quick Google of the username found several instances of that username on several forums as a new user.
                              Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                              "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1