Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Scope and rifle reunited...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mustang
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2007
    • 5075

    Scope and rifle reunited...

    Years ago I won a wonderful old target rifle at an estate sale of the estate of a WWII vet who had been an avid target shooter. That man's name was James A Norton. The rifle was set up for an old style long tube target scope, but one was not included. It did come with a very nice target sight. Amazingly, I recently saw James Norton's target scope at another online auction. I bid on the scope and won it.

    Here is Mr. Norton's obituary.



    Here's the rifle...





    And here is the scope..



    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
  • #2
    Sir Toast
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 3140

    Love these threads OP. Awesome.

    Sorry for Mr. Norton's passing, but cool starry bra.

    Comment

    • #3
      Citadelgrad87
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Mar 2007
      • 16980

      Oh, man, that is awesome.
      Originally posted by tony270
      It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
      Originally posted by repubconserv
      Print it out and frame it for all I care
      Originally posted by el chivo
      I don't need to think at all..
      Originally posted by pjsig
      You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        pl411
        Member
        • May 2017
        • 156

        Very, very cool story. Thank you for sharing.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment

        • #5
          hambam105
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2013
          • 7083

          Excellent story. Thanks, Mustang.

          Comment

          • #6
            1recluse
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2010
            • 432

            That is amazing. I too like to hear stories like this. I am hunter of esoteric stuff and this is an awesome hunt!

            Comment

            • #7
              Mustang
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2007
              • 5075

              Thanks, guys!

              I won the rifle back in June of 2013, not long after Mr. Norton passed. I was looking back through some old posts and discovered a thread that I started on this forum, in which I lamented not having a long tube scope for the rifle.



              Here is the recent auction listing for the scope...

              ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

              Comment

              • #8
                Mustang
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2007
                • 5075

                Back together again...

                The scope arrived yesterday.

                Good news: It is in great condition. Bad news: one of the scope mounting blocks is boogered up. I could not mount the scope.

                I've already put in a call to Steve Earle for a replacement set.





                ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                Comment

                • #9
                  stormvet
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 12681

                  Great post, so glad Mr. Norton’s rifle and scope are now both in good hands.

                  Makes you wonder how many Japanese troops where in his rifle sights when he was a soldier fighting in the Philippians, doubt he missed much.
                  Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CBR_rider
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 2755

                    Have you been eye balling that particular type of scope and found the listing, did you just stumble upon it, or..?

                    Glad you were able to find it and get it back with the rifle.
                    Originally posted by bwiese
                    [BTW, I have no problem seeing DEA Agents and drug cops hanging from ropes, but that's a separate political issue.]
                    Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      USMCM16A2
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2006
                      • 4941

                      Mustang,


                      Great story, can you tell us a bit about the rifle? Action, caliber, barrel etc. A2

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mustang
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Aug 2007
                        • 5075

                        Originally posted by CBR_rider
                        Have you been eye balling that particular type of scope and found the listing, did you just stumble upon it, or..?

                        Glad you were able to find it and get it back with the rifle.
                        Thanks, CBR

                        I have been looking for an old long tube scope for my Griffin and Howe bull gun for sometime and spied it at an online auction.

                        ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mustang
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 5075

                          Originally posted by USMCM16A2
                          Mustang,


                          Great story, can you tell us a bit about the rifle? Action, caliber, barrel etc. A2
                          Thanks USMC.

                          The rifle is a Winchester 70, with a Jewell trigger and a 29" Hart barrel.
                          ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mr. Beretta
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 6614

                            Outstanding post.

                            Great story.

                            Thank you for sharing it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mustang
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 5075

                              Thanks, sv. Wish I knew more about Mr. Norton.
                              ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1