Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First bolt action: Ruger American Ranch 5.56

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Elshauno
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2019
    • 59

    First bolt action: Ruger American Ranch 5.56

    Attached Files
  • #2
    FNGGlock
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2020
    • 1289

    Congrats!! I have been looking at these, but will probably wait a while and see if I still want it. I love the ability to use AR Mags and ammo, so no need to get new mags or case ammo with these. Waiting for my RARF (rimfire version) in 22LR to get out of jail, uses the same mags as my 10/22. Love the shared mags and ammo with these bolt rifles. I got a 4-12x40 scope for my 22, looking to do 100yds mostly.

    You probably want a bit more magnification than 4x for 150-200 yds. Maybe look at 3-9x or similar.

    Comment

    • #3
      Squidward
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2006
      • 1779

      Keep it light ; fixed 4x

      Comment

      • #4
        RNE228
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2013
        • 2458

        This. It's a compact lightweight carbine. A compact 4x or 1-4x would be a great fit, and work well for a 200 yard rifle.

        Originally posted by Squidward
        Keep it light ; fixed 4x

        Comment

        • #5
          newbutold
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2017
          • 1952

          The extended mag would get in my way, have fun.
          Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Robert J. Hanlon

          No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

          The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21

          Comment

          • #6
            sigstroker
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2009
            • 19859

            Originally posted by Squidward
            Keep it light ; fixed 4x
            That's what I was thinking. You don't want a 1-4x because they have a small objective, usually 24mm.

            Comment

            • #7
              Elshauno
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2019
              • 59

              Originally posted by newbutold
              The extended mag would get in my way, have fun.
              The 30 rd mag was just for fun lol

              Comment

              • #8
                Elshauno
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2019
                • 59

                Originally posted by sigstroker
                That's what I was thinking. You don't want a 1-4x because they have a small objective, usually 24mm.
                Would the small objective matter as much if the scope has an illuminated reticle?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Imageview
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2018
                  • 1629

                  The Leupold 1-4x vx freedom is very light and pretty nice for a very small objective. I have one on a rifle and considering picking up a second. Very handy and easy to get on target.

                  If your primary purpose is punching paper, personally I'd go a little more magnification. I like a 3-9 to make seeing the bullet holes a bit easier.

                  Another fun choice would be a 1-6, primary arms has one that's well regarded and reasonably priced. Or if you want spend more, there are a ton of great options.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Divernhunter
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2010
                    • 8753

                    I put a 3X9X40 duplex reticle Leupold Non-AO on mine and it works great.
                    IF you just plan to target shoot with it a 4X12X40 would also be a good choice. It would work well for some hunting/shooting conditions also such as squirrel shooting.

                    The rifle is a great little rifle and does not need a muzzle brake. It is a bit loud with the short barrel so I suggest using ear protection
                    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      RNE228
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2013
                      • 2458

                      For 22 caliber, I've found a spotting scope works better. Especially past 100 yards. I have an older Redfield 15-60x60.

                      Originally posted by Imageview
                      I like a 3-9 to make seeing the bullet holes a bit easier.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sigstroker
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 19859

                        Originally posted by Elshauno
                        Would the small objective matter as much if the scope has an illuminated reticle?
                        Yes, because the bigger the objective, the more light it lets in and the better image you get.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          smittty
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 6264

                          4x is not enough!

                          Look at this ultralight scope, 2.5-10x with bdc reticle, it's perfect for that rifle.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Fatcat
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 1299

                            I have a Leupold VX-2 2-7x on my American Range 7.62x39. I find it a good match for size, weight, magnification for the rifle and ballistics of the round.
                            Bright scope having a 33mm objective. Unfortunately they don’t make them any more. I know there’s one being sold on the Marketplace.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Lurch762
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 962

                              I got a RAR in 5.56mm as a warranty replacement from Ruger for a non-repairable 10/22. It's the older model before they came out with the AR mag version. I put a 3-9x40 Nikon scope on it & it shoots quite well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1