Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1903 firing spring stiff....solved but do they make a lighter spring?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Geofois
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 1609

    1903 firing spring stiff....solved but do they make a lighter spring?

    Googled and read a couple posts. One referred to a discussion on the cmp forums about removing some coils. I put my brother's 1903 next to mine to compare and his is easier. I took both bolts apart to make sure no burs or pits or anything rough but both looks good. I put on the 'handle' thingy and for sure my spring was stiffer. They both had 35 coils so correct. His coils maybe seemed thinner but his were shiny metal and mine were OD green so probably just an illusion. I did as someone suggested on the cmp forum and removed 3/4"of coils and it seems exactly the same as my brothers now. I just wondering if they sell aftermarket springs for hunting maybe that are designed to be lighter. I didn't see anything when I googled. Maybe I'll check where I bought my XD springs now.

    Edit: well what da yah know. They are 4 different striker springs. 20 24 26 and 30 lbs.. Stock is 16 lbs =/ so they only make heavier springs. Oh well no biggie. I'm sure it will be fine. Worse case buy a used worn in one that is also smooth in case mine has issues.
    Last edited by Geofois; 10-12-2020, 10:51 PM.
  • #2
    highpower790
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2013
    • 3481

    Cut 4coils .
    Keep it simple!

    Comment

    • #3
      Geofois
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 1609

      Took it out yesterday and it went bang every-time. So much easier to cock on open now. I'll do what someone else said and polish the surface area of the bolt that is the cocking surface. I think it's that 45 degree section. The 2nd operation is what I'd like to do. I'd like to see it done first or if there were pictures.

      This was copied from the cmp forums:
      1st operation smoothing extracting cam: Remove firing pin assembly, plug muzzle & chamber, clamp barreled receiver in a vise, apply abrasive compound to primary extracting cam (left rear of receiver), insert bolt, apply abrasive to bolt extractor cam. With forward pressure on bolt rotate it back and forth. Continue until a smooth regular surface is obtained.

      2nd operation smoothing cocking cam: reassemble firing pin, apply abrasive to cocking cam surfaces of both bolt and cocking piece. Insert and close bolt. Tie trigger back and with forward pressure on bolt raise and lower bolt handle. Continue until a smooth regular surface is obtained.

      3rd operation freeing extractor collar: This one requires special fixtures made of hardwood and brass. I will not attempt to paraphrase it here.

      This is what competitors did back when the M1903 was the service rifle.
      Last edited by Geofois; 10-19-2020, 4:49 PM.

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1