Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Remington 700 - sear spring needed for Timney Trigger?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nidm
    Member
    • Jan 2014
    • 468

    Remington 700 - sear spring needed for Timney Trigger?

    hi, folks

    Simple question, does Timney Trigger need sear spring?

    While following the detail instruction here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkLZnv-n8Gg&t=683s. from the above video
    • 4:25, sear spring was removed when uninstall the original trigger
    • 12:00~15:00, install timney, no mention of the sear spring, and at lower-left corner of 15:00, I can see the sear spring.


    Is Remington use the same X-Mark Pro Trigger for the higher-end 5R and low-end ADL? seems 5R has the adjustable one, and ADL has the non-adjustable?
    Last edited by nidm; 06-30-2020, 3:06 PM.
  • #2
    LynnJr
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2013
    • 7958



    Nidm
    The goofy looking spring is for the bolt release and it's necessary if your using the factory bolt release.

    The tiny little spring that looks like it fits inside a ball point pen lifts the upper lever so it engages the cocking piece.

    A new trigger should have plastic pins so that you can put the trigger inside the action without the tiny spring falling out.

    Jewell triggers are captured so that top lever doesn't fall off when the pins are pulled out. That's why they are so easy to install.

    If that tiny spring has fallen out because the pins got removed the easiest way to get it put together is to use 2 stick matches to hold it together.
    You can use a very sharp knife to cut the matches flush with the trigger.

    Install the trigger and then use the steel pins to push out the stick matches.
    That tiny spring sits inside a square notch and tweezers will help you get in place. In the video the sear spring on the table top at 15.00 minutes is most likely out of the original trigger that got pulled out.
    The new trigger has it in place and you have to have it or the bolt won't cock.
    Last edited by LynnJr; 10-13-2020, 7:24 AM.
    Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
    Southwest Regional Director
    Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
    www.unlimitedrange.org
    Not a commercial business.
    URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

    Comment

    • #3
      nidm
      Member
      • Jan 2014
      • 468

      Lynn

      thanks. the "tiny little spring"/sear spring is the one that I am worried about. I think Timney trigger doesn't need one, right? what I have is a Calvin Elite Stage-2. thanks

      nidm

      Comment

      • #4
        LynnJr
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2013
        • 7958

        Nidm
        Does the Timney come with short plastic or steel pins that hold the top lever from lifting upward?
        If yes there is a spring applying upward pressure and you don't want to push those pins out before installing the trigger in the action or the spring can pop out.
        If I find a Rifle Basic trigger I will post pictures of how the spring gets installed.
        I am running Jewell Bix&Andy and Flavio Fare so I don't have a Timney sitting here for a 700 just Mausers and they are completely different.

        I think Randall posted that the new Timney triggers have the top lever captured like Jewell's so it can't fall off but maybe he will read this and post.
        If you get that spring cock-eyed like on a Rifle-Basix trigger you can bend it.
        That's why I use the stick matches to hold it all together.

        Edit: I just watched a YouTube video on the Calvin Elite and the top lever is captured meaning it won't fall off.
        Last edited by LynnJr; 07-02-2020, 7:59 PM.
        Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
        Southwest Regional Director
        Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
        www.unlimitedrange.org
        Not a commercial business.
        URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

        Comment

        • #5
          nidm
          Member
          • Jan 2014
          • 468

          Originally posted by LynnJr
          ...
          Edit: I just watched a YouTube video on the Calvin Elite and the top lever is captured meaning it won't fall off.
          https://youtu.be/rgOyV3YZQj8
          yeah. I believe mine is the same one as show in this youtube.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57179

            Originally posted by nidm
            hi, folks

            Simple question, does Timney Trigger need sear spring?

            While following the detail instruction here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkLZnv-n8Gg&t=683s. from the above video
            • 4:25, sear spring was removed when uninstall the original trigger
            • 12:00~15:00, install timney, no mention of the sear spring, and at lower-left corner of 15:00, I can see the sear spring.


            Is Remington use the same X-Mark Pro Trigger for the higher-end 5R and low-end ADL? seems 5R has the adjustable one, and ADL has the non-adjustable?
            If the sear won't fall off of the trigger when you knock out the trigger pins, you probably can't lose the sear spring.
            If the sear is captured in the trigger module like all currently manufactured Timney 700 triggers, you don't need to worry about the spring falling out.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              nidm
              Member
              • Jan 2014
              • 468

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              If the sear won't fall off of the trigger when you knock out the trigger pins, you probably can't lose the sear spring.
              If the sear is captured in the trigger module like all currently manufactured Timney 700 triggers, you don't need to worry about the spring falling out.
              ar15barrels, thanks. I guess there is worry here. appreciate.

              BTW, I attached a few pictures of the trigger to close out this thread.
              Attached Files

              Comment

              • #8
                LynnJr
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7958

                That isn't what I call a captured top lever. Notice how it moves with only one end being captured?
                But in looking at it there is no notch for a sear spring so all is well.
                On a Jewell or Bix&Andy the top lever only moves 1/16 of an inch and that is straight down.
                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                Southwest Regional Director
                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                www.unlimitedrange.org
                Not a commercial business.
                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1