Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Weatherby Magnum, any thoughts.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • USMCM16A2
    Banned
    • Jul 2006
    • 4941

    Weatherby Magnum, any thoughts.

    Folks,


    Any thoughts on the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum? What a rocket ship, 3600fps with 127gr Barnes LRX. About 3500ft/lbs impact energy, what say you? A2
  • #2
    scotty99
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 1184

    Comment

    • #3
      2Stroke
      Member
      • Jan 2017
      • 308

      Significantly over-bore. I prefer something that's enjoyable to shoot, and has barrel life measured in 3 digits or more.

      Comment

      • #4
        Divernhunter
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 8753

        I have one and like it. The recoil is not bad. Accuracy is excellent. Will I shoot 5000 rounds out of it at paper targets? No but it will last a very long time for some paper shooting and more game shooting. BESIDES all these snowflakes make a big deal out of the cost of a new barrel. It is not that bad. I have had 4 rifles rebarreled and the cost was about 380 each for excellent SS barrels. Hell I shot out a 223 varmint barrel on a Rem700, my daughter shot out a 257R barrel(and that is hard to do). I had a well used 7mmREm mag barreled to a 264win mag that I like even more and a friend had a 30-06 M70 redone.
        I have taken game with mine in Texas and Utah with excellent results. The 257W is over-bored also but I like mine and have taken a lot of animals with it. IF I shoot the barrel out of either of my Weatherby rifles(or any other non-Weatherby) I will just put a new and probably better barrel on them.
        A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
        NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
        SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

        Comment

        • #5
          tsmithson
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2016
          • 1580

          Comment

          • #6
            MongooseV8
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 4426

            For hunting?

            Comment

            • #7
              Juniork5
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2014
              • 884

              I love my .300wby

              Comment

              • #8
                elk hunter
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2014
                • 2122

                I'm sure it would make a excellent 1,000 yard cartridge if your into long range shooting or if your into shooting at animals that far away. I'm not so for me I don't need one, Anything beyond 500 yards is pretty much "off limits" to myself. Not that I can't shoot that far and hit what I want but I don't want to. I would rather pass on the shot or work to get closer. Call around to the pawn shops and look for a good one I have see at least two of the Weatherby's sold and pawned right after hunting season 2019 and cheap to, both went for around 300-350 and if I remember right they were both Vangards and in very nice shape. I'm thinking of getting a Tika in 7mm Rem Mag and it's another good caliber I probably don't need.

                Comment

                • #9
                  sigstroker
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 19897

                  Yeah, I bet used .300 Weatherbys in great shape are easy to find. The thief bastid that stole mine only shot 3 rounds out of it (cops recovered my ammo) before he'd had enough.

                  7mm Rem is probably a good choice. It would be fairly easy to convert to 6.5 PRC or a SAUM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Calif Hunter
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • 3326

                    I have a .257 Wthby Vanguard that I like very much. I put a MacMillan Edge stock on it to lighten it up a bit. I don't plan on shooting anything over 400 yards away, but I appreciate the flat trajectory.

                    I also had a .300 Wthby Model 700 that I took most of my elk with. A .300 Win would have worked as well, or even a .30-06 since none of them were shot that far off. I now use a .300 Win Tikka T3 or .30-06 '03 Springfield for the most part.
                    Last edited by Calif Hunter; 01-13-2020, 10:24 AM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      elk hunter
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2014
                      • 2122

                      It becomes more and more important when driving a bullet faster and faster to be sure to use a well constructed bullet designed for those velocity's. Some people simply don't think of that fact and trundle out into the hills giving it no thought.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        LynnJr
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 7958

                        I think you will see after a couple years of the all lead ban in California that hunters will have two decisions to make.
                        They can switch to faster chamberings to retain there current lead bullet ballistics or they will need to replace there existing barrels to take advantage of the high BC solids.
                        The difference between a 0.450 BC bullet and a 0.600 BC bullet is about 300 FPS with exceptions as always.
                        A 123 Warner Flatline at 3500 has a point blank range at 430 yards which is extremely flat.
                        Last edited by LynnJr; 01-13-2020, 1:05 PM.
                        Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                        Southwest Regional Director
                        Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                        www.unlimitedrange.org
                        Not a commercial business.
                        URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          edgerly779
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 19871

                          Just have to handload to afford the ammo.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            870classic
                            Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 460

                            Sounds like a .264 Winchester Magnum to me. Go for it.

                            Best regards,
                            870classic.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Divernhunter
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2010
                              • 8753

                              I have a 264win mag and the 6.5X300W and there is a difference. The 6.5X300W is quite a bit faster.
                              I also have a 6.5X55 and the comparison of the 264 to the 6.5X300 is much like comparing the 6.5X55 to the 264
                              A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                              NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                              SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1