Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Oh yeah, the lever fever...Updated, Post #48

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Revhendo
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 521

    Oh yeah, the lever fever...Updated, Post #48

    So, I have been looking for a lever gun for some time now. I like the '73s, was really hunting for a '92 and came across this pre-64 94.
    It was on consignment at Real World Shooting in HB. The owner is a retired LB motor cop who didn't have anyone to pass the rifle on to so he's giving the proceeds to the widows and orphans fund. I'm the motor mechanic for my city and can appreciate his sentiments and the donation. I like the connection and this is a rifle I can hand down to my kids.
    Sorry for the cell phone pics, I'll try and do better when I get it home. At least I didn't get MY feet in the pics.
    20190824_164632.jpg

    20190824_164650.jpg
    Last edited by Revhendo; 09-23-2019, 5:39 PM.
    Rev.

    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    W.T. Sherman
  • #2
    pennstater
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 4671

    That looks to be in very nice condition. Good find and good cause. You'll enjoy that one.

    MLC

    Comment

    • #3
      870classic
      Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 460

      Welcome aboard. Great story and looks like a great rifle.

      Comment

      • #4
        plumbum
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 5394

        Awesome story - let that beauty continue to serve!
        Originally posted by ysr_racer
        Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

        Comment

        • #5
          golfish
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2013
          • 10124

          Oh yeah, the lever fever...

          Your screwed now, I see a .357/38sp lever gun in your future...

          Good choice on the 94, that gun will out live us all.
          It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
          Happiness is a warm gun.

          MLC, First 3

          Comment

          • #6
            BOBGBA
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2010
            • 2400

            Originally posted by Revhendo
            ...At least I didn't get MY feet in the pics.
            Are you sure? There's a few toes in the picture with pink toe nail polish on them.

            Congrats on the new lever gun.
            God Bless America - My iTrader rating - https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...2-transactions

            Comment

            • #7
              hambam105
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2013
              • 7083

              Too bad it's in an obsolete caliber.

              Comment

              • #8
                Revhendo
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2014
                • 521

                Thanks for the replies. I am actually pretty stoked. I hate that ten day wait, though.
                And...
                Bob, My wife appreciates you noticing her nails,
                Golfish, Yes, still looking for a pistol caliber lever
                Annnddd....
                Hamy, I do feel bad about the obsolete caliber, but I'll do my best to get over it.
                Rev.

                "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
                W.T. Sherman

                Comment

                • #9
                  200Apples
                  -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 7217

                  I don't think .30-30 is an obsolete caliber (even though hambamuloid may have said that in jest) when it's still for sale everywhere you can purchase ammunition.

                  It's a handloader's dream with inexpensive cast bo0lits. For me, though, there's not enough range for the recoil, and I might as well use .44 Mag from a rifle. Too, I'm not enamored of the Win '94 action.

                  I have 7.62 X 39 in a bolt carbine, the caliber most often directly compared to the ballistics of the .30 WCF/.30-30. I have a .308 Scout rifle as well.

                  All of my five lever carbines are revolver caliber. Two in .357 Magnum, one in .41 Magnum and two in .44 Magnum. I handload for the .41 and .44 and soon for the .357, all in either Marlin 1894s and in Win 92 designs.

                  Yeehaw.
                  .
                  "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                  NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    hambam105
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 7083

                    Am I totally convinced that any cartridge developed 100 years ago can not possibly be any good today.

                    I watch television therefor I know these things.

                    Straight razors and straight bourbon just don't work anymore.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Revhendo
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2014
                      • 521

                      Originally posted by hambam105
                      Am I totally convinced that any cartridge developed 100 years ago can not possibly be any good today.

                      I watch television therefor I know these things.

                      Straight razors and straight bourbon just don't work anymore.
                      I found the answer to your problem on the internet!
                      Quit shaving and switch to Scotch.





                      Rev.

                      "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
                      W.T. Sherman

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MJB
                        CGSSA Associate
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 5925

                        Nice toes!
                        One life so don't blow it......Always die with your boots on!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          DueceMcGurk
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2016
                          • 884

                          Rev, nice find and a great back story to go with it.

                          My favorite handgun was designed at the turn of the century and hand loads with a powder that was formulated in 1928. With that as background, I love shooting classic (some consider obsolete) weapons. Where else can you hold history in your hands?

                          I bought a 38 Super 1911 to make a 9mm range practice pistol. Obsolete round. While waiting for the 9mm conversion parts, I reloaded a bunch of 38 Super -- and fell in love. It makes the old 1911 a poor man's semi-auto 357 magnum. Obsolete to some is heaven to others. Less judging/labeling, more shooting.

                          Enjoy your lever.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            splithoof
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2015
                            • 6034

                            Beautiful classic American workhorse. I think Apples summed it up well about the caliber. Once you try it, the .30-30 (.30WCF) will stick on you. It is far from obsolete, and will continue to harvest game like it has since it's inception.
                            My wife has an old '92 in .25-20; while ammunition is hard to find, it's still a classic, works well, and like your rifle has an important connection.
                            Enjoy it, you have scored!
                            Last edited by splithoof; 08-30-2019, 8:12 AM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Revhendo
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2014
                              • 521

                              Thanks again everyone.
                              Silly question, what type of wood is the stock, and what's the best way to care for it?
                              Rev.

                              "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
                              W.T. Sherman

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1