Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

2,200 yards with an "ordinary" cartridge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sigstroker
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2009
    • 19863

    2,200 yards with an "ordinary" cartridge

    By "ordinary" I mean not a .375 or bigger blaster. The 7mm SAUM can really reach out there.

  • #2
    compshell
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 571

    Idk, while it does take skill to shoot out that far, he wasn't able to replicate the hit. 18 rounds and 1 hit. 3rd shot did it followed by 15 non hits. Still it's impressive, once he figures out the load he might be able to replicate better. Also not sure how bad the cross wind is where he was shooting, it can shift left to right then from right to left.

    Comment

    • #3
      craneman
      • Jan 2010
      • 1329

      When shooting in the ULSA matches I had quite a few back to back hits at 2086 yards with a normal .338 Lapua cartridge. I consider that a "normal" cartridge. Certainly more "normal" than a 375 Cheytac.

      I just used the 300grn Lapua brand ammo only, and just shot it to use the brass for the improved chamber that the rifle has.

      The factory Lapua round was considerably slower than the reloads I was doing, but the accuracy was really good at the shorter 2086 yard distances. 3000 yards not so much. That's when the more powerful "improved chamber" round and monolithic solid projectile did better.
      sigpic

      Stupid people don't know they are stupid. Because they are stupid. They will follow evil geniuses and do their bidding, because they are stupid.

      Really super stupid people look up to, and follow stupid people like they were geniuses, because to them, they are. Unfortunately the reality of it is, that doesn't make stupid people any smarter.

      That right there is the root cause to most problems in the world.

      Comment

      • #4
        diver160651
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 1764

        Last edited by diver160651; 05-18-2019, 1:51 PM.
        D.I.Y. a Target Cam for ELR
        NOTE: images not all working correctly due to limitations on the site

        D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

        Comment

        • #5
          Meety Peety
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 3216

          Well at least he didn't just end the video after the 3rd round impact, kudos for his honesty.
          "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

          Comment

          • #6
            rm1911
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 4073

            NRA Life Member since 1990

            They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

            Comment

            • #7
              sigstroker
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2009
              • 19863

              I doubt it was that much. MDT chassis are among the cheaper ones on the market and the action is a Tikka T3x. I believe he's still using the trigger that came on the Tikka with a Yobob spring. The scope is under $1300.

              The owner of the channel is not a rich guy.

              Comment

              • #8
                LynnJr
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7958

                Craneman good hearing from you.

                At one of our URSA matches Trevor hit 7 out of 10 shots at 2054 yards using his BillyGoat Machine 7 SAUM prone and made it look easy.

                Holding 26 minutes in the scope is a disaster in waiting.
                Last edited by LynnJr; 05-19-2019, 8:29 AM.
                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                Southwest Regional Director
                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                www.unlimitedrange.org
                Not a commercial business.
                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                Comment

                • #9
                  sigstroker
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 19863

                  To me, that's fantastic. Something like .338 Lapua costs a crap-ton more to shoot, between the powder use and bullets. Not to mention barrel life.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    LynnJr
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 7958

                    Sigstroker
                    Barrels last about 12 pounds of powder.
                    If your way overbore they don't last as long and if your silly underbore they last longer.
                    A 30 carbine will last longer than a 30-378 Weatherby.
                    I doubt there is much barrel life difference between the two chamberings.
                    Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                    Southwest Regional Director
                    Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                    www.unlimitedrange.org
                    Not a commercial business.
                    URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1