Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ARC Barloc VS WTO Switch Lug

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    NorCalFocus
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 3913

    Originally posted by bug_eyedmonster
    Because it's easier to carry two barrels and two types of ammo with one rifle, vs two rifles and to types of ammo.
    Okay I'll give you that. I can see where if someone was flying into a hunt/shoot and space/weight was the issue.

    But as long as I'm driving, I'll take two rifles. My second rifle is ready to go, setup and zero'd just the same as my first rifle. Pus if I have a mechanical failure outside of the barrel/ammo, my second rifle still works. If your one scope/trigger/stock gets trashed you now have two useless barrels and ammo for them.

    I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just playing devils advocate more than anything.

    Comment

    • #17
      sigstroker
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2009
      • 19872

      I definitely see the appeal. You only have to buy one chassis and one scope, both really expensive items. You can just write down zeroing information for the scope and diddle the knobs after you switch barrels.

      Comment

      • #18
        bug_eyedmonster
        • Oct 2007
        • 3639

        Originally posted by NorCalFocus
        Okay I'll give you that. I can see where if someone was flying into a hunt/shoot and space/weight was the issue.

        But as long as I'm driving, I'll take two rifles. My second rifle is ready to go, setup and zero'd just the same as my first rifle. Pus if I have a mechanical failure outside of the barrel/ammo, my second rifle still works. If your one scope/trigger/stock gets trashed you now have two useless barrels and ammo for them.

        I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just playing devils advocate more than anything.
        In any event, this would be a bad day and most likely require a trip back to town anyway. But yes, there's always that chance to take.

        Originally posted by sigstroker
        I definitely see the appeal. You only have to buy one chassis and one scope, both really expensive items. You can just write down zeroing information for the scope and diddle the knobs after you switch barrels.
        Between what you've noted, and the weight of lugging one rifle compared to two, make it an easier choice to go this route. Now... just need to see which option is better to go with.


        Jerry
        The inconvenience of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a good bargain.

        Comment

        • #19
          sigstroker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 19872

          Oh yeah, you don't have to buy two actions either, lol.

          After some research into the WTO setup, it looks like they don't always return to exact zero, so verifying zero is necessary anyway. Recording scope info would get you close at any rate.

          I can see where you might have a 15 pound PRS-type rifle in a 6mm somethingorother, remove chassis weights and drop in a carbon wrapped barrel in a cartridge completely unsuitable for PRS but great for elk, and take it hunting. It would still be a little heavy, but manageable.

          If you're going to go for it, consider if an action with replaceable bolt heads could be used in order to accommodate a really wide variety of cartridges.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1