Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Remington 700 SPS Tactical RUST

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GREASY357
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 1684

    Remington 700 SPS Tactical RUST

    Howdy y'all, it's been awhile.

    So I'm tired of Remington's Remrust finish (just add atmosphere!) and going to strip it/ cerakote. I'm wondering if I should bother with removing the barrel from the action or just cerakote as one piece.
    War is mostly waiting.
  • #2
    sd joe
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 767

    One piece.

    Comment

    • #3
      Bullets&Whitewalls
      Senior Member
      • May 2012
      • 2380

      The two I did, I did them as one piece. I wasn't able to use my garage oven and had to use the house oven. If you go this route and have a significant other good advice is to do it while they are on an overnight trip so they don't come home and ask why the kitchen smells like a urinal cake.

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57180

        Originally posted by GREASY357
        Howdy y'all, it's been awhile.

        So I'm tired of Remington's Remrust finish (just add atmosphere!) and going to strip it/ cerakote. I'm wondering if I should bother with removing the barrel from the action or just cerakote as one piece.
        Leave the barrel on the action.
        If you remove it, you are likely to damage the finish while reinstalling the barrel.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          WartHog
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 4639

          OP - how old is the rifle?
          Originally posted by Sierra57
          Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
          "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

          Comment

          • #6
            divingin
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2015
            • 2522

            Had the same problem with an SPS Varmint bought in early 2015. I got in the habit of wiping it down with a oiled cloth before storing. No problems since.

            Comment

            • #7
              NorCalFocus
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 3913

              Originally posted by divingin
              Had the same problem with an SPS Varmint bought in early 2015. I got in the habit of wiping it down with a oiled cloth before storing. No problems since.
              I don't think most people understand this.

              The Remington finish on the SPS rifles is not a coating. Its a treatment done to the metal. So in turn you have bare metal exposed to the environment. The treatment Rem uses is designed to hold oil on the metal. With oil on the surface you then prevent rust.

              OP, as far s coating it, you do not need to "strip" the old treatment off. First, strip all the oil off the metal parts. Then make sure to keep them in a dry place if your not going to coat them right away. Second sand the parts to be coated with 800 wet/dry sandpaper. Next, degrease the living hell out of all the parts, then do it again. Now your ready to coat.

              Comment

              • #8
                GREASY357
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2012
                • 1684

                Originally posted by WartHog
                OP - how old is the rifle?
                I bought it around '09-'10
                War is mostly waiting.

                Comment

                • #9
                  BillyGoatMachine
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2886

                  It you paint it as an assembled barrel action be sure to leach out ALL the oils before you coat. Sometimes this can take 1-2 hours in the oven. Nothing worse for any coating if your parts are not clean. I almost always paint every part individually for this reason.
                  Billy Goat Machine
                  07 FFL/SOT Rifle Builder
                  www.billygoatmachine.com
                  .

                  https://www.instagram.com/billygoatmachine/?hl=en
                  .
                  .
                  Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    LWP
                    Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • 172

                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    Leave the barrel on the action.
                    If you remove it, you are likely to damage the finish while reinstalling the barrel.
                    Any recommendations of a good place for cerakote in Southern Ca ?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57180

                      Originally posted by LWP
                      Any recommendations of a good place for cerakote in Southern Ca ?
                      LA Ceracoat
                      Tell Phil I sent you...

                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        GREASY357
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 1684

                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        LA Ceracoat
                        Tell Phil I sent you...

                        www.losangelescerakote.com/
                        How about in the SF bay area? :P

                        I'm going to have someone else do it
                        War is mostly waiting.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57180

                          Originally posted by GREASY357
                          How about in the SF bay area? :P
                          I don't live in the SF bay area so I can't give a referral as I would not have seen their work to base my opinion on.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1