Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

A Savage 340 in .222

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gatling
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 80

    A Savage 340 in .222

    This was a great find...a good condition 340D in .222 Remington...





    Gatling
  • #2
    Calif Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • 3323

    I have one in .30-30 that I picked up years ago at a gun show for $125, I believe. I found a side mount for a scope and some extra mags at Sportsmans Guide of all places. I put a cheap Tasco scope on it just to see what it would do, and it shot several 5/8 inch groups at 100 yards with Remington 170 Corelokts over IMR-4064 powder, a load I had on hand for my Model 94. I tried a bunch of spritzer bullet loads, but pointed bullets of 150 gr were often too long for the magazine and could not be seated any deeper. I tried 125 gr Sierras and 130 gr Hornady's but never could get quite the accuracy of the 150 or 170 gr RN bullets.

    It is a very light and handy carbine - almost like toting a .22 rifle. I will replace the scope and send it off to my oldest grandson in VA where it will be a fine whitetail rifle.

    Comment

    • #3
      john myers
      Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 414

      Ive had a Monkey Wards 30/30 version for years nice shooter
      CIMG2341.jpg

      Comment

      • #4
        TMB 1
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2012
        • 7153

        I like the 340 have two a 222 with scope and 30/30 with peep sight.
        Last edited by TMB 1; 03-20-2019, 1:11 PM.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          pennstater
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 4671

          What are the bases you guys are using for a scope? A buddy has a 340 and would like to scope it. Thanks.

          Comment

          • #6
            arrowshooter
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2013
            • 724

            Originally posted by pennstater
            What are the bases you guys are using for a scope? A buddy has a 340 and would like to scope it. Thanks.
            This:

            Check out the deal on Scope Mount w/ Rings, Side Mount, 1", Blued (Includes Rings & Screws) at Numrich Gun Parts


            There is not much space between the rings so you need to be picky about scope choice. Older is better.

            Comment

            • #7
              TMB 1
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2012
              • 7153

              Originally posted by pennstater
              What are the bases you guys are using for a scope? A buddy has a 340 and would like to scope it. Thanks.
              This Weaver base is the type mine has. Scopes with turret mounts that wraps all the way around scope will not work with this type and as arrowshooter said older scopes are better.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                pennstater
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 4671

                Excellent! I'll let him know. Thank you.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1