Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question about the 1903 Springfield

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AR352
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2018
    • 9

    Question about the 1903 Springfield

    I have a question about the 1903 Springfield it may sound like a dumb question but I'm new to firearms in general and I recently bought a 1903. A couple days ago I was looking at the chamber of the rifle and found a groove that was scratched into the chamber possibly by this rail of some sort where the extractor rides on in the bolt face. I wanted to know if this is something common with 1903 Springfield's or if this an issue that I need to address immediately?
    Last edited by AR352; 02-08-2019, 6:56 PM.
  • #2
    socal m1 shooter
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 1947

    Originally posted by AR352
    I have a question about the 1903 Springfield it may sound like a dumb question but I'm new to firearms in general and I recently bought a 1903. A couple days ago I was looking at the chamber of the rifle and found a groove that was scratched into the chamber possibly by this rail of some sort where the extractor rides on in the bolt face. I wanted to know if this is something common with 1903 Springfield's or if this an issue that I need to address immediately?
    A groove scratched into the chamber surface, or on the breech itself? A picture can be worth a thousand words. Pic(s)?
    iTrader under old CalGuns

    Comment

    • #3
      AR352
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2018
      • 9

      Sorry about the lack of photos I hope these will help with explaining my question.20190208_202719.jpg20190208_202535.jpg20190208_202515.jpg

      Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        LynnJr
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2013
        • 7958

        The scratch is on the tenon not in the chamber itself so you have no worries there.
        There should be 0.005 to 0.010 clearance from the boltface to that part of the tenon or recess.
        A tight extracting round might have allowed the extractor to scratch it.
        Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
        Southwest Regional Director
        Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
        www.unlimitedrange.org
        Not a commercial business.
        URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

        Comment

        • #5
          kendog4570
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2008
          • 5180

          That mark is from the bolt nose rubbing on the breech cone when the bolt is turned on an empty chamber. No worries.
          As stated earlier, a properly headspaced round in a properly headspaced chamber will hold the bolt away from this area.

          Comment

          • #6
            dfletcher
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Dec 2006
            • 14811

            Originally posted by AR352
            Sorry about the lack of photos I hope these will help with explaining my question.[ATTACH]776691[/ATTACH][ATTACH]776692[/ATTACH][ATTACH]776693[/ATTACH]

            Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
            As mentioned that's not an issue. Not to travel too far afield from the original question, but seeing the finger grooved stock, handguard and rear sight captured incidentally in the photo you may want to check the serial # and read up on "low serial number" 1903s. It may or may not be, easy to check and important to know.
            GOA Member & SAF Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              pacrat
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2014
              • 10285

              A tight extracting round might have allowed the extractor to scratch it.
              Not a possibility. Since the extractor doesn't "turn". Just slides forward/back in the receiver.

              Comment

              • #8
                AR352
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2018
                • 9

                Thank you for all the responses to my question I really appreciate, my biggest concern was that my rifle was unsafe to fire. Thankfully I was wrong and I'll probably be able to finally take it out to the gun range this weekend.

                Comment

                • #9
                  THBailey
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 737

                  Originally posted by dfletcher
                  As mentioned that's not an issue. Not to travel too far afield from the original question, but seeing the finger grooved stock, handguard and rear sight captured incidentally in the photo you may want to check the serial # and read up on "low serial number" 1903s. It may or may not be, easy to check and important to know.
                  Check this issue out before you shoot the gun. Though a subject of much debate, the early 1903 rifles may be subject to catastrophic failure due to improper heat treatment.
                  THBailey


                  As Will Rogers once said:
                  "Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    hambam105
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 7083

                    Stand back. I'll be glad to fire the first couple hundred 1940s real GI ball ammo thru that rifle. Just in case.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1