Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Twist rate on Model 70 supergrade .308?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • threeperreaper
    Member
    • Jan 2017
    • 146

    Twist rate on Model 70 supergrade .308?

  • #2
    pennstater
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 4674

    My Mod 70 Featherweight was 1/12 twist.
    My Mod 700 was 1/10. Heavy, 24" barrel.

    Comment

    • #3
      NorCalFocus
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 3913

      -Insert a cleaning rod with a patch or brush on it.
      -Make a flag on the handle at the back of the rod with a piece of tape.
      -Mark the rod where the back of the action is.
      -Slowly insert rod slowly until the flag make one full rotation.
      -Mark the rod again where it sits at the back of the action.
      -Measure the distance between the two marks. That will.be your twist rate.

      Comment

      • #4
        threeperreaper
        Member
        • Jan 2017
        • 146

        Wow, I’m a loser...
        Not sure how I missed it.
        The website shows 1:12 twist...

        Now wondering which bullet weight to use?

        Comment

        • #5
          pennstater
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 4674

          Naw, just an oversight. What will be the main purpose of your .308?

          Comment

          • #6
            elk hunter
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2014
            • 2122

            Is your super grade a light weight or a standard?

            Comment

            • #7
              threeperreaper
              Member
              • Jan 2017
              • 146

              Standard.
              Purpose for general plinking and deer hunting, which I don’t do much of...
              Some may say too nice of a rifle to deer hunt with but I could care less if it had a scratch if thee.
              I just like the supergrades much better than the festherweights

              Comment

              • #8
                buffybuster
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 2615

                Anything up to 200grs will be fine, but the .308Win works best with bullets <180grs.
                Luck favors the prepared.

                The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

                "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

                Comment

                • #9
                  pennstater
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 4674

                  If mostly for plinking/range use, go with 150's. Cheaper. When you go to a hunting load, people here will help out. Remember tho, hunting ammo in Ca MUST be non-lead starting 7/1/2019. Statewide.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    threeperreaper
                    Member
                    • Jan 2017
                    • 146

                    From what I’ve read, the 1:12 twists don’t always do too well with anything heavier than 175 grains.
                    I’m going to buy a few boxes of 150 and 168 and see which one it likes better.
                    I’m hoping it likes the 150s for the slightly better trajectory.
                    I don’t believe the 168s will be any more effective in deer (realistically)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      200Apples
                      -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 7217

                      From what I’ve read, the 1:12 twists don’t always do too well with anything heavier than 175 grains.

                      As buffybuster and/or pennstater has already mentioned, as well as from my own experience, bullets heavier than 180 grain aren't the .308 Winchester's forte. You're on the mark with 150 and 168 grain fare, 175 grain if shooting 1000 yds target.

                      There's a recent thread here in this sub asking about non-lead/copper projectiles in caliber .308... Check it out. In it is suggested that pure-copper spitzers like the Barnes can act as a heavier bullet on game since they don't shed weight on and after impact. In that case, a 150 grain Barnes TSX would be all you'd need for deer. Save the 165/168 copper for heavier game.
                      Last edited by 200Apples; 01-02-2019, 7:55 AM.
                      .
                      "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                      NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Russ661
                        Junior Member
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 94

                        I bought a Shot Show special maple stocked 308 Super Grade model #535218220 and the Winchester website says the twist rate is 1:9.5 so it looks like the best thing for the OP to do is measure it himself because they are all over the map.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sigstroker
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 19900

                          Those things are gorgeous, aren't they?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1