Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger 77/44 experience?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ch47gunner
    Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 431

    Ruger 77/44 experience?

    Any of you guys have any experience with the Ruger 77/44? It's a bolt action rifle chambered in .44Mag.
    I'd been eyeing a new one here at my local gun store for a couple of years. Pretty pricey but, it'd be nice to have a .44Mag brush gun with the same caliber revolver as back-up.
    I countered his asking price and surprisingly he accepted it. I pick it up on the 29th.
    It's not a World War until France surrenders.

    sigpic
  • #2
    Catch
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1327

    Do you reload? They may have a slightly bigger bore.

    Comment

    • #3
      ch47gunner
      Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 431

      Don't reload - haven't seen anything about a bigger bore on any of the articles I've read tho.
      It's not a World War until France surrenders.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        Catch
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 1327

        Keywords: ruger 77/44 bore size.

        Any factory ammo should be fine.

        Comment

        • #5
          357magnum
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2014
          • 1219

          I have had my 77/44 for several years now.
          Outstanding rifle.
          Nothing but my reloads fired, 44spl. & 44magnum, 200gr and 240gr Hornady XTP.
          No problems ever.
          sigpic"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me."
          -Al Capone-

          Comment

          • #6
            rm1911
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 4073

            Originally posted by ch47gunner
            Pretty pricey
            NRA Life Member since 1990

            They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

            Comment

            • #7
              splithoof
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2015
              • 6028

              It's a lot of fun, and is dynamite on close-in hogs. Makes a great saddle gun, as it's short OAL lends itself to being carried in a well crafted Kydex scabbard.

              Comment

              • #8
                Ki6vsm
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2013
                • 2354

                Originally posted by 357magnum
                I have had my 77/44 for several years now.
                Outstanding rifle.
                Nothing but my reloads fired, 44spl. & 44magnum, 200gr and 240gr Hornady XTP.
                No problems ever.
                FWIW, those bullets are .430", so even if your bore is a little over-sized (like a Marlin's) the rifle would likely still shoot accurately. The problems I've had with my 1894 Marlin have been with the common .429" variety of bullets.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bruss01
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 5336

                  Originally posted by rm1911
                  Be super cool if they made an American version of it. And in 357. I’d be all over it.
                  They did make a .357 but it was discontinued.

                  17 of them on Gunbroker.com this morning.

                  Some have starting bids of $1k. IMHO it is a $500 gun. May account for it being discontinued... too costly to make?
                  Last edited by bruss01; 01-25-2018, 8:44 AM.
                  The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    DesertDave100
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2016
                    • 547

                    The Ruger 77/357 is still cataloged, in stainless. MSRP of $1K

                    My local go-to guy sells them for $730. http://www.mparms.com/search.asp?key...+77%2F357&www=
                    NRA Life Member CRPA Life Member

                    Registration is the first step towards confiscation.

                    I identify as Non-Bidenary

                    Originally posted by Kurgan
                    This is OT where we never let the facts get in the way of a salacious accusation. Especially when it includes the butt.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ch47gunner
                      Member
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 431

                      Thanks for all your replies & comments.

                      I picked up the rifle & have mounted a small 4x scope, bore sighted, cleaned, & range ready.

                      I've a couple more questions -
                      Can I shoot .44Spl as I have a bunch of this?
                      Can I shoot .44Mag+P?
                      It's not a World War until France surrenders.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        357magnum
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2014
                        • 1219

                        Originally posted by ch47gunner
                        Thanks for all your replies & comments.

                        I picked up the rifle & have mounted a small 4x scope, bore sighted, cleaned, & range ready.

                        I've a couple more questions -
                        Can I shoot .44Spl as I have a bunch of this?
                        Can I shoot .44Mag+P?
                        44spl = yes
                        44mag+p - as in Buffalo Bore and Double Tap ammo, I would NOT use.
                        Factory full magnum loads, no problem.
                        Last edited by 357magnum; 02-01-2018, 3:37 PM. Reason: updated
                        sigpic"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me."
                        -Al Capone-

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1