Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

DTA SRS in .223; anyone try it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Kwikvette
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2015
    • 3704

    DTA SRS in .223; anyone try it?

    Wondering if anyone's bought and shot this conversion?



    I shoot .223 a lot and rather than taking 2 rifles to the range, this would mean I'd only take 1 to shoot 2 calibers of my choice.
    Originally posted by longrange1
    my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
    Originally posted by XDJYo
    Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
  • #2
    Sandro
    Banned
    • Dec 2015
    • 532

    hard to understand the gain. Is it going to shoot the same in terms of POI. No need to re-sight the rifle?
    The kit costs more than a dedicated rifle? Do i get it correctly?
    Last edited by Sandro; 12-09-2017, 12:02 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      ar15barrels
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 57180

      Originally posted by Sandro
      hard to understand the gain. Are the going to shoot the same in terms of POI. No need to re-sight the rifle?
      Each barrel will have it's own zero.
      If you use a ballistic calculator that supports multiple gun profiles, you can store the scope zero offsets for each barrel in the app or just write the offsets on the barrel so you have the necessary adjustment right there on the barrel.
      Randall Rausch

      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

      Comment

      • #4
        Kwikvette
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2015
        • 3704

        Originally posted by Sandro
        hard to understand the gain. Is it going to shoot the same in terms of POI. No need to re-sight the rifle?
        The kit costs more than a dedicated rifle? Do i get it correctly?
        Randall covered it, but I'll add that the biggest benefits are;

        1. Stupidly accurate

        2. Overall, much shorter than other rifles with the same barrel length

        3. Very well balanced due to its bull-pup design

        4. Stupidly accurate, emphasis on this

        5. 1 rifle, 1 optic, multiple calibers

        When you have 3+ calibers on one DTA, the overall cost is less than 3 separate rifles

        A. 1 DTA ($3.2k), 3 calibers ($4.5k) assuming you only need 2 bolts total, 1 optic ($2k)

        B. 3 rifles with work done on them IE truing, bedding, barrels, etc. ($5.4k), 3 optics ($6k)
        Originally posted by longrange1
        my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
        Originally posted by XDJYo
        Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

        Comment

        • #5
          Troutzilla
          Member
          • Jan 2014
          • 240

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57180

            Originally posted by Troutzilla
            I fully supportive and get the multi caliber concept. But would love to know where you can get a DTA SRS for $3.2k instead of the $5k I’ve seen them selling for.
            From the gun fairies.
            Or used.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              Californio
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 4169

              Chassis is 3.2 + 1 conversion kit = $5K




              "The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

              Comment

              • #8
                Kwikvette
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2015
                • 3704

                It's funny how the only feedback received is from those balking at the cost

                Really wanting feedback from those that own the .223 conversion

                Don't worry about costs, it's not your money I'm spending!
                Originally posted by longrange1
                my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
                Originally posted by XDJYo
                Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Target Plinker
                  Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 307

                  I have a SRS on order and curious about the 223 conversion as well but i wonder if its actually worth the cost of the conversion. How often will you actually be shooting 223 for accuracy when 308 and 6.5 ammo is considerably cheaper for plinkjng vs 300WM and 338 LM

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Kwikvette
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2015
                    • 3704

                    Originally posted by Target Plinker
                    I have a SRS on order and curious about the 223 conversion as well but i wonder if its actually worth the cost of the conversion. How often will you actually be shooting 223 for accuracy when 308 and 6.5 ammo is considerably cheaper for plinkjng vs 300WM and 338 LM
                    I reload and shoot .223 quite often so the cost is pretty low vs the cost of .308 and .300wm. Accuracy can be had as long as you keep it short to mid range, just wondering if those that own the system;

                    Have the standard chamber they offer or longer and what ammo they're reloading IE 80gr A Max, etc.

                    As for other calibers I have a ton of match ammo as well as brass, powder, bullets, and primers to reload for .308 so that's my second go to caliber. With that being said, I'd only like to use it when I need to reach out a bit farther.

                    My long range caliber, for the few times I would need it, is .300wm which my DTA is already chambered for.

                    I've made the mental decision to buy the .308 caliber in the near future, just undecisive about the .223 conversion.
                    Originally posted by longrange1
                    my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
                    Originally posted by XDJYo
                    Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57180

                      Originally posted by Kwikvette
                      I've made the mental decision to buy the .308 caliber in the near future, just undecisive about the .223 conversion.
                      223 loaded to 2.5"+ OAL with 90gr bullets can do any target shooting task that you might use the 308 for.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Kwikvette
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2015
                        • 3704

                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        223 loaded to 2.5"+ OAL with 90gr bullets can do any target shooting task that you might use the 308 for.
                        Damn, glad I posted my intent.

                        I take it said bullets would require a 1:6.5 twist rate?
                        Originally posted by longrange1
                        my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
                        Originally posted by XDJYo
                        Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57180

                          Originally posted by Kwikvette
                          I take it said bullets would require a 1:6.5 twist rate?
                          I would do a 24" long 1:7 twist and I bet it would be fine.
                          Make sure your mags will allow you to reach about 2.7" OAL for the berger 90's and you should be good.

                          Another option is to do a 6x223 and shoot the 95gr SMK's.
                          They will make the same velocity as a 175SMK from a 308 and they have the same BC.
                          Your dope and windage will be identical to a 175gr 308, bullets are cheaper and barrel life is better than a 223 barrel due to the larger bore.
                          Recoil is lighter and they are cheaper to shoot than a 308 as they burn about half the powder.
                          Last edited by ar15barrels; 12-10-2017, 11:01 PM.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Kwikvette
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2015
                            • 3704

                            Originally posted by ar15barrels
                            I would do a 24" long 1:7 twist and I bet it would be fine.
                            Make sure your mags will allow you to reach about 2.7" OAL for the berger 90's and you should be good.
                            That was going to be my question to Short Action Customs; I have to single load ammo for my gas guns because my handloads don't fit in my mags
                            Originally posted by longrange1
                            my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
                            Originally posted by XDJYo
                            Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57180

                              Originally posted by Kwikvette
                              I have to single load ammo for my gas guns because my handloads don't fit in my mags
                              That should not be an issue in bolt actions as they typically have magazines that will do 2.5" to 2.8" OAL.
                              Call DT and ask what length their 223 mags will support.
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1