Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Winchester 94 US VS Japan

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rangem4
    Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 407

    Winchester 94 US VS Japan

    I purchased a Winchester 94AE right before the Connecticut plant shut down. The MSRP on the Winchester web site was $479. This was probably Fall of 2006.
    I noticed on their web site now the same rifle is $1,229. Now, I know these are made in Japan but what makes them worth so much more money? Is there a difference in quality?
    My rifle is a beautiful example of American craftsmanship and I am proud to own it.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Last edited by Rangem4; 11-06-2017, 2:17 PM.
    sigpicA well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
  • #2
    -hanko
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2002
    • 14174

    Originally posted by Rangem4
    I purchased a Winchester 94AE right before the Connecticut plant shut down. The MSRP on the Winchester web site was $479. This was probably Fall of 2006.

    I noticed on their web site now the same rifle is $1,229. Now, I know these are made in Japan but what makes them worth so much more money? Is there a difference in quality?
    My rifle is a beautiful example of American craftsmanship and I am proud to own it.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Your Winchester msrp was 11 years ago...I think that would account for the increase

    Miroku guns are also "beautiful examples" of craftsmanship. You'd probably need to look at your gun and a newer Miroku gun to quantify what you perceive as to differences in quality.
    True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

    Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

    A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

    Comment

    • #3
      Jimmy's
      Veteran Member
      • May 2016
      • 2600

      Better quality comes from afar.

      Comment

      • #4
        Rangem4
        Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 407

        I know it's been 11 years but I can rattle off many models and manufacturers that have remained the same or have come down in price in the last decade.
        The Japanese manufactured rifles are of better quality? How so?
        Have there been issues with the late model American made 94's?
        I think demand on lever actions is off. I pulled that opinion out of the darker regions.
        I rarely post because somebody always makes me look like an idiot. We are just having a light discussion here.
        sigpicA well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

        Comment

        • #5
          Jimmy's
          Veteran Member
          • May 2016
          • 2600

          Miroku has been making Top notch high quality forearms from day one. How is quality better. The people making them are not greedy and just want a paycheck. They take pride in their work all of it and it shows they are probably lucky just to have a job.

          Comment

          • #6
            Milsurp Collector
            Calguns Addict
            CGN Contributor
            • Jan 2009
            • 5884

            Originally posted by Rangem4
            Have there been issues with the late model American made 94's?
            Model 94's and other Winchester arms are often divided into pre-1964 production and 1964 and later (USA) production. Winchester made several cost-cutting changes in 1964 in how they made firearms.

            Some collectors even prefer pre-1952 Model 94's to the 1952 to 1963 models. When I got my first 94 I got this one made in 1946.



            My second one is a Model 1894 made in 1898.

            I have read nothing but good things about the quality of Japanese-made Winchesters.

            .
            Revolvers are not pistols

            pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
            Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

            ExitCalifornia.org

            Comment

            • #7
              pennstater
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 4671

              I dunno, but, looking at Jeff's first pic, that '94 looks pretty damn nice.

              Comment

              • #8
                -hanko
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jul 2002
                • 14174

                Originally posted by Rangem4
                I know it's been 11 years but I can rattle off many models and manufacturers that have remained the same or have come down in price in the last decade.

                The Japanese manufactured rifles are of better quality? How so?

                Have there been issues with the late model American made 94's?

                I think demand on lever actions is off. I pulled that opinion out of the darker regions.

                I rarely post because somebody always makes me look like an idiot. We are just having a light discussion here.
                You may rattle off many guns, some have gone up in price, some down, some remain the same.

                Take a look at a Miroku shotgun or rifle and you will understand. Many years ago, my college roommates Dad flew for the Flying Tigers. He "imported" a few Miroku shotguns. Mine still looks good after being shot a lot over the years.

                I'm not aware of "issues" with more recent Winchester 94s...I think that's more of a Marlin / Remington debacle.

                Lever actions are still popular as shorter range deer guns, probably more so east of the Mississippi River than west.

                I hope that wasn't too heavy of a discussion.
                True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                Comment

                • #9
                  Rangem4
                  Member
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 407

                  Surely Winchester wouldn't fall on it's face and make some short sighted cost cutting change to their model 94? I found this article, I apologize I did not document the source and I couldn't find it, I hope I don't get in trouble. I think it speaks well of Winchester in 1967.
                  "The rifle -length Model 94 was discontinued in 1924 and through the years various changes were made to the carbine. But the most dramatic occurred in 1964, when , in what is now recognized as an ill-advised move, manufacturing procedures were modified to reduce costs. Thankfully, by 1967 the company realized it had done something terribly wrong and steps were gradually taken to restore the Model 94 to it's former glory. Nonetheless, that chapter in the Model 94s history has provided collectors with the designations of "pre-64" and "post-64" Winchesters. But in many ways the revitalized Model 94 today is a better gun than before."

                  I have read some more about the Japanese made 94's and they all seem to have some engraving. The quality to fit and finish is outstanding with few exceptions. With a price tag of >$1,300 I would think sales are sluggish. But it's only money.
                  Thank you all for the discussion. I love these classics and Winchester is certainly one of the greatest names in the business. Too bad Japan is enjoying the production.
                  sigpicA well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cuda440
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 3289

                    Miroku does indeed make very nice weapons, but I would expect the last decade of inflation as well as import costs to be a factor in the price as well.

                    FWIW I bought my 94 from Big 5 in 2003, when msrp was $479 but they would have sales pretty often where I grabbed it for $299. Never had a single issue and the fit, finish, and quality has alway been more than acceptable to me.


                    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

                    Thomas Jefferson

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dan_Eastvale
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Apr 2013
                      • 10763

                      My Chinese 56S-1 and SKSs are of superb quality and are not of American origin. I wouldn't even want an American made AK. Historically inaccurate.

                      My two pre-64 94s are American classics and it just wouldn't feel right having one made in Japan or any other country regardless of quality.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        splithoof
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2015
                        • 6031

                        I own a number of USA Winchester rifles that were produced at different times, both pre-1900, pre-64, and post 1964, a few from the 1960's -90's. I will not hesitate to state that IMO the Miroku products are vastly superior in every way possible, to ANYTHING ever produced domestically. That may inflame the purists, so be it. It is what it is.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          smittty
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 6269

                          Originally posted by Cuda440
                          I would expect the last decade of inflation as well as import costs to be a factor in the price as well.
                          I don't know about that. I bought my first glock about 15 years ago for around $499 and today I can still buy another one for $499.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Kingair001
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2015
                            • 2357

                            Originally posted by smittty
                            I don't know about that. I bought my first glock about 15 years ago for around $499 and today I can still buy another one for $499.
                            So they are cheaper these days !
                            WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Jimmy's
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2016
                              • 2600

                              Originally posted by smittty
                              I don't know about that. I bought my first glock about 15 years ago for around $499 and today I can still buy another one for $499.
                              That's all they are or ever will be worth.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1