Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rail and ring recommendations for my new 5r

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • boyguan
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2016
    • 751

    Rail and ring recommendations for my new 5r

    Just got a 5r. Looking to get a rail and rings to mount my scope

    I see many people use the weaver and it's so much better price than others. Is there really a benefit of spending 3x as much?

    I'm hoping to push this out to 600 yards one day
  • #2
    smoothy8500
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 3846

    Originally posted by boyguan

    I see many people use the weaver and it's so much better price than others.
    It's what I use on both my Midrange rifles. You could spend 3x more but don't need to. Both these rifles regularly shoot 600yd matches.

    My F-T/R rifle:


    Midrange prone rifle with Warner sight on Lipski base with Weaver rail. Comes off and goes back on with less than 1MOA shift.
    Last edited by smoothy8500; 07-09-2017, 1:52 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Flatassbroke
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2017
      • 91

      Knightforce rail. Seekins rings. Get out to 600, no problem with my Remington 700 R5. Seekins rings look really sharp. Not too pricey.

      Comment

      • #4
        smoothy8500
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 3846

        Who is "Knightforce"? Chinese knock-off?

        Comment

        • #5
          LynnJr
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2013
          • 7958

          Some shooters feel they need a 3 pound chunk of steel for a rail held in place with 8-10 half inch bolts.
          Look at the threads that hold your front scope lense in place and don't fret over the latest craze.
          Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
          Southwest Regional Director
          Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
          www.unlimitedrange.org
          Not a commercial business.
          URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

          Comment

          • #6
            boyguan
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2016
            • 751

            Sounds good

            Comment

            • #7
              jimmykan
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 3103

              Originally posted by boyguan
              Just got a 5r. Looking to get a rail and rings to mount my scope

              I see many people use the weaver and it's so much better price than others. Is there really a benefit of spending 3x as much?

              I'm hoping to push this out to 600 yards one day
              You are referring to this scope base?




              I have four different Remington 700s with this rail.

              I think they are a great value for about $30-$40. They are made from good material, the rail dimensions are made to picatinny specification, they include a recoil lug and come in 20MOA tapered versions.

              What's not to like?

              Well, there is one thing: Since the rear bridge of the Remington 700 receiver is not precision-machined, i.e. I believe it is finished at the factory using a sanding belt or something, the height and contour of the rear bridge varies between different samples of 700 actions.

              The weaver rail is made to fit the higher end of the tolerance for the action's rear bridge height.

              So out of my four 700 actions, only one fit perfectly and did not need epoxy bedding. The three other actions exhibited a 0.020 - 0.040" gap, so I bedded those with Devcon Plastic Steel Putty (A).

              I don't know if this step was necessary, but I used a Dremel engraver to knock off the anodizing (which I might add was a REALLY tough finish on the Weaver rail, felt tougher to knock off than the anodizing on a mil-spec AR-15 receiver, which is supposed to be Type III hard anodizing too) from the rear of the rail to prep the surface and facilitate epoxy adhesion.

              I plugged up the rear base screw holes on the receiver and the base with non-drying modeling clay, then coated the receiver in a thin film of Kiwi neutral shoe polish.

              Used acetone to clean off the prepped rear base area, masked off the sides with masking tape, mixed and applied a thick layer of Devcon, and then attached the rail to the action using just the front screws, making sure that the rail's recoil lug was making firm contact with the action.

              Then I used a thin strip of the clear packaging that the Weaver rail comes in to scrape away the excess Devcon that oozes out from the sides (it's best to wait about 10 minutes before scraping, to allow the epoxy to set a little bit, otherwise you'll drag out some of the epoxy that is supposed to stay underneath the rail.

              Once the epoxy was almost solid, I cleaned up the remaining excess epoxy with acetone soaked Q-tips and let it cure overnight.

              Comment

              • #8
                jimmykan
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 3103

                The one that fit perfect


                The one that needed the most bedding

                Comment

                • #9
                  tiechshlime
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 1032

                  Tps rings and base.
                  "When government fears the people, there is liberty.
                  When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

                  Thomas Jefferson

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Meety Peety
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 3216

                    I have had good results with seekins base and seekins rings. I had a bad experience with a pair of ARC rings so I personally will not recommend them. I know there are many people that do like them, wish I could have been one of them.
                    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      damon1272
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 4857

                      I really like Warne rings and bases and tend to run them on most of my rifles. They are not overly expensive and look better than most on the market.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Chromebonez
                        Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • 216

                        I like Seekins Precision base and rings, they are made of 7075 Aluminum and the base features a recoil lug which adds to the ease of mind.

                        The website states the rings do not require lapping, and I found this to be true with the rings I received. I tested with a lapping bar and alignment was perfect, the scope seemed to make around 80% contact with the rings.

                        Overall very satisfied with the Seekins, especially for the price I paid and seems like almost everyone has had good experiences with them from what I've read.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          DrewN
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 1887

                          Originally posted by damon1272
                          I really like Warne rings and bases and tend to run them on most of my rifles. They are not overly expensive and look better than most on the market.
                          I think Warnes are easier to torque down (across?) evenly myself. I rarely need to fiddle. That said, rings don't wear out and mine stay attached to the optics usually, so i prefer a one piece. GG&G QR bolt action height is the one I liked. Then I just added a scout rail for AR's. For hunting rifles I like the Warnes, but i have a few sets of Leupold and they work swell.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Don the savage
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 2094

                            On mine i put a leupold mark 4, 15 moa rail and warne maxima medium rings. Total cost on amazon was less than $100
                            They work pretty well, picture is a 4 shot group i had yesterday at 100 yards from a bench, bipod front no support on rear. Rail fit perfectly.
                            Attached Files
                            I support peace through superior firepower.
                            "Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

                            Originally posted by rsrocket1
                            Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              boyguan
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • 751

                              Interesting guys. I heard about the warne but the weaver had the recoil lug which I thought was a good idea.

                              0 or 20 moa base? I have a crossfire 2 4-12 scope I'll be using temporarily till I can get some better glass. Not sure I'll have enough moa to zero at 100 if I get a 20 base.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1