Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looks like it's gonna shoot........

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigBamBoo
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2008
    • 5215

    Looks like it's gonna shoot........

    I have not been active in much rifle shooting the last year or so. Been busy with work (self employed...work 6-7 days a week) and life. I have been mainly shooting pistol...USPSA, steel shoots, etc.

    But my friend is very heavy into PRS and is hosting a PRS shoot at our range so I thought I should actually shoot my "long range rifle" that has been collecting dust and get ready for the match.

    So I put some ammo together yesterday and hit the range this morning to shoot the rifle for the first time.

    Conditions at the range were not ideal...cold and windy. 10-15 mph wind, but blowing pretty much right at me.

    Using a rear bag and bipod, I was able to see what I can expect from this rig. So far, it looks like it is going to shoot.

    All groups are different powder charges and all shoot pretty well. I am showing no pressure signs, so I plan on bumping the charge up a bit more.


    Now for the rifle:

    Surgeon Scalpel in 6XC 26" 1:7.5 twist.
    Steiner T5Xi 5-25X scope...yep...read all the problems the early models had, but did not have the funds (large tax liability this year) right now for a different scope and got a HECK of a deal on this one. So far I am pretty impressed with this scope.
    Atlas bi-pod
    homemade rear bean bag.
    Trigger Tech trigger



    how to take a screenshot on a pc

    image sharing sites
    Bring hay for my horse....wine for my men....and mud for my turtle!

    What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    - Sigmund Freud

    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    It makes it bigger and longer.
  • #2
    200Apples
    -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2011
    • 7217

    .
    Jeff Cooper once said, "if [that rifle] were half as accurate as it is, it would still be twice as accurate as it need be."

    What ranges? You didn't say...

    That said, the targets speak for themselves, considering. Nice shooting.
    .
    "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

    NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

    Comment

    • #3
      longrange1
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2015
      • 1032

      NICE!!

      shooting 107s?

      Comment

      • #4
        BigBamBoo
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2008
        • 5215

        Thanks. Yep...107's and groups shot at 100 yards.

        Again...just starting load work. Have a couple to play with now and will go up in charge weight and see what we see.


        .
        Bring hay for my horse....wine for my men....and mud for my turtle!

        What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

        "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
        - Sigmund Freud

        Originally posted by ar15barrels
        It makes it bigger and longer.

        Comment

        • #5
          longrange1
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2015
          • 1032

          Nice...looking forward to seeing some groups when you get it dialed in....gotta love how easy 6mm load development is.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • #6
            Sir Toast
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2012
            • 3140

            That is one sweet rig.

            Comment

            • #7
              BigBamBoo
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2008
              • 5215

              Thank you.

              Yep...I love 6mm rounds...6BR, Dasher, .243, 6mmSLR, 6XC, 6CM, etc., etc. All great rounds for long(er) range shooting.

              I am hoping to get back to the range this week and finish dialing it in and get my dope card out to 1000 together.

              Will post up results as I can.


              .
              Bring hay for my horse....wine for my men....and mud for my turtle!

              What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

              "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
              - Sigmund Freud

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              It makes it bigger and longer.

              Comment

              • #8
                hj_S14
                Calgunner
                CGN Contributor
                • Jun 2013
                • 1288

                Beautiful , not sure why people complain about Steiner, I have one and never had issue. Maybe because it the M model? But nice rig and nice shooting overall

                Comment

                • #9
                  BigBamBoo
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 5215

                  The first run of the T series had some turret issues as well as a few reported canted reticles.
                  They (Steiner) were quick to address the problem and the later production runs have been GTG from what I can find.

                  I have a friend has in word the first ones and has had zero problem with it.

                  But, once you get a few bad "reviews" online, it is hard to get past that. Because if anyone doing a search for info on it, that is the first thing they find.

                  Anyways....for the price I paid for it, I think it is a good scope. Would I pay normal street price ($2000.00) for it when there are a lot of other scopes in that price range? Probably not.
                  But if you shop around, you can find them for $1500-1600 and that is a good deal IMHO.

                  .
                  Bring hay for my horse....wine for my men....and mud for my turtle!

                  What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

                  "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
                  - Sigmund Freud

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  It makes it bigger and longer.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mute
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 8590

                    Nice setup.
                    NRA Benefactor Life Member
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


                    American Marksman Training Group
                    Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      BigBamBoo
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 5215

                      Thank you. I have had good luck with Surgeon rifles and actions.

                      Here are a couple of my old rigs shooting at 1000 yards....hope to get a video of this rifle doing the same up soon.




                      Bring hay for my horse....wine for my men....and mud for my turtle!

                      What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

                      "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
                      - Sigmund Freud

                      Originally posted by ar15barrels
                      It makes it bigger and longer.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mute
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 8590

                        I got one back when they first came out. It was one of my favorite rifles.
                        NRA Benefactor Life Member
                        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


                        American Marksman Training Group
                        Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1