Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.38 special in a lever gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bakerloo
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 1725

    .38 special in a lever gun

    Gentlemen, I have ordered a Winchester 1873 in .357/.38.
    Can you tell me what .38 ammo works well in lever guns? I like the cost of .38 vs .357...
    Thanks in advance.
    ...while the buffoon in the White House prances around celebrating butt sex.
  • #2
    bodger
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2009
    • 6016

    I have shot just about any kind of .38 special through mine, including range reloads, and never had a problem. I did have to be sure to clean the chamber where the brass seats after shooting a lot of .38 through it, because the residue build-up would prevent the longer .357 round from seating properly.

    No big deal, just kept a cleaning brush around when I was shooting.

    Comment

    • #3
      Kings River Kid
      Junior Member
      • May 2008
      • 47

      Any round nose .38 will work fine. Levers of this design are not overly OAl sensitive. They can be a little bit sensitive on bullet shape but as long as you don't try SWC it should do fine.

      Comment

      • #4
        eman_308
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 1014

        I use lead round nose and semi wadcutters .38SPL in my '73
        -the frontline is everywhere...

        Comment

        • #5
          larkja
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2013
          • 1362

          I use flatnose in my Uberti '73. No probs.

          Comment

          • #6
            Ugly Hombre
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2014
            • 1191

            my Rossi 92 will feed and cycle any 38 specials of any type- I have fed it so far.

            Comment

            • #7
              Barbarosa
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 2166

              I picked up a Commemorative Winchester '73 last year. It is a great gun; very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I have tried several different varieties of ammo and haven't noticed any difference. For target and plinking I use whatever is on sale. Primarily that has been either Remington or Winchester FMJ 130 gr. For giggles I ran a box of JHP Federal 180 gr .357 - really didn't notice much of a kick since it is a pretty heavy gun.

              Comment

              • #8
                sigfan91
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jun 2009
                • 12317

                I use only jacketed bullets. I hate cleaning lead out of a barrel. It's also better because I don't want to breathe in air borne lead particles when I shoot...or any other time.

                Comment

                • #9
                  PoorRichRichard
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 3309

                  You'll save money, and get better accuracy if you build reloads specificly meant for your rifle. And congrats on the purchase.
                  1A - 2A = -1A
                  Originally posted by Wherryj
                  If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
                  ...I'd have $0.10.
                  Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
                  --- Dan Bongino
                  Originally posted by EM2
                  Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
                  Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Garv the innocent
                    RSG Minion, Senior
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 9075

                    I use round nose and TC (tapered cone).

                    The flat-nosed lead bullets sometimes catch and deform on my Rossi.
                    Originally posted by Kestryll:
                    It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Kokopelli
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 3444

                      From my JM Marlin 1894C, Remington 38 Specials work great. The 125 JHP +P is very accurate and a good HD load. I can easily lob the 158gr LRN Remington onto a paper plate at 200.
                      If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. - Ronald Reagan

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Kings River Kid
                        Junior Member
                        • May 2008
                        • 47

                        Originally posted by PoorRichRichard
                        You'll save money, and get better accuracy if you build reloads specificly meant for your rifle. And congrats on the purchase.
                        That's true, I used to use these little 105gr "Rattler John" bullets for Cowboy Shooting that were just plain awesome. accurate as all get out and it had the recoil of a .22

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          golfish
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Mar 2013
                          • 10124

                          I've been lucky with my two 38/357 Rossi's, both feed anything I have thrown at em (now). I like the green and white box UMC in either 38 or 357 for my two. The 125 grain .357 packs more punch than just about any other factory 357 I have shot.

                          You going to post up some pix when you get it (please) I just bought my first Winchester, its a 94AE with a cross bolt safety. I want a 73, I'm a little jelly, okay, a lot jelly
                          It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
                          Happiness is a warm gun.

                          MLC, First 3

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Air
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2005
                            • 1640

                            I have a Rossi 92 and it functions fine, but I have never ran factory ammo through it...Just my own reloads. I haven't shot the thing a lot, but it seems to eat up everything regardless of OAL. Mostly 158 grain Lead FP's and 125 grain Plated FP's. I think I fed it some Jacketed RN bullets and it did fine. 38's fyi.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Bakerloo
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 1725

                              Originally posted by golfish

                              You going to post up some pix when you get it (please) I just bought my first Winchester, its a 94AE with a cross bolt safety. I want a 73, I'm a little jelly, okay, a lot jelly
                              I will post pics as soon as I get it. I had a small windfall of $$ and figured this would be a good way to spend it.
                              ...while the buffoon in the White House prances around celebrating butt sex.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1