Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

223 Bolt Action Rifle Gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • paramud
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2016
    • 75

    223 Bolt Action Rifle Gun

    I am looking for a bolt action rifle. I am looking to buy one tomorrow for 2 weekends for now. My goal is to do 600ft and closer. I have a budget of $700 and $400 for a scope.

    223 because I would like to keep the same caliber as my AR and to make it a bit cheaper.

    I am not planning on doing any hunting, just bench rest and punching holes in paper/ clanking metal .

    I have looked at the Savage Arms Trophy Hunter Package and Tikka T3 Lite. Most of these are made for hunting and I am not sure if they will work for me. Any recommendations or should I go with the Savage Arms 223?
  • #2
    green grunt
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 1637

    Mossberg MVP , in the price range and will use the same Mags as your AR...
    Semper Fi.

    Comment

    • #3
      NOTABIKER
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2012
      • 7635

      Savage in 223. nail driver with a cheap scope

      Comment

      • #4
        edgerly779
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Aug 2009
        • 19871

        Where are you located? i have one in sfv . PM me if nearby

        Comment

        • #5
          paramud
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2016
          • 75

          I am in Orange County/Riverside area. A bit to far with the freaking traffic.

          NOTABIKE

          Are you talking about this?

          I would take that scope and upgrade one of my 22s scope.

          I am going to a local range the weekend before fathers day and I want to bring one, that is the reason for the semi-rush.

          Comment

          • #6
            Buzzle
            Banned
            • May 2016
            • 46

            Remington 700 or Savage

            Comment

            • #7
              paramud
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2016
              • 75

              Originally posted by Buzzle
              Remington 700 or Savage
              Looking at videos of 700 SPS 223. Looks cool, so does Savage. I really hate all the options. The MVP looks sweet also.

              Comment

              • #8
                smle-man
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2007
                • 10605

                I really like my Ruger Scout .223. I've spent some money on it and upgraded an all aluminum trigger guard/magazine housing.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57177

                  Originally posted by paramud
                  I am looking for a bolt action rifle.
                  I am looking to buy one tomorrow for 2 weekends for now.
                  My goal is to do 600ft and closer.
                  I have a budget of $700 and $400 for a scope.

                  223 because I would like to keep the same caliber as my AR and to make it a bit cheaper.

                  I am not planning on doing any hunting, just bench rest and punching holes in paper/ clanking metal .
                  Remington 700 SPS tactical.
                  A heavy barrel what you want for bench shooting.
                  Skinny barrels like the Tikka T3 Lite has are more for hunting.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57177

                    Originally posted by paramud
                    Looking at videos of 700 SPS 223. Looks cool, so does Savage. I really hate all the options. The MVP looks sweet also.
                    If you do NOT want any options for future customizing, the Mossberg is what you want.
                    Savage will be next in line, but they have a lot of stuff available for them.
                    Remington 700's have the LARGEST selection of aftermarket parts.
                    There are so many 700 parts that you can build a 700 pattern rifle without a single remington part on it.
                    Remington 700 receivers are THE design that the majority of high end aftermarket receivers are using.
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      baih777
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 5680

                      Remington 700 SPS tactical.
                      Howa with heavy barrel.
                      Don't get one with a thin barrel.
                      Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                      I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                      I'm Back.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Monster
                        Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 463

                        Tikka, Howa, Vanguard all offered with heavy barrels if desired and NO needs for modifications to make them shoot well. Also detach mags are available.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          paramud
                          Junior Member
                          • Mar 2016
                          • 75

                          Originally posted by Monster
                          Tikka, Howa, Vanguard all offered with heavy barrels if desired and NO needs for modifications to make them shoot well. Also detach mags are available.
                          Visiting around, I have only ran into Howa with a heavy barrel. Can't find tikka anywhere with the heavy barrel.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Monster
                            Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 463

                            Order one from Davidsons gun genie. hou'L Have It at your Dealer in two to three days.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57177

                              Originally posted by paramud
                              Visiting around, I have only ran into Howa with a heavy barrel. Can't find tikka anywhere with the heavy barrel.
                              Heavy barrel Tikkas are not available in your stated price range.
                              Watch out for barrel twist rates VERY carefully.
                              A lot of heavy barrelled 223's come with 1:12" twist which are perfect for 40-50gr varmint bullets, but no good for the longer 75gr target bullets you would want to use if you want to shoot at longer distances.
                              You want at barrel with a 1:9" or 1:8" twist to shoot the more common target bullets.

                              The Remington SPS tactical comes with a 1:9" twist barrel.
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1