Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Brand new model Ruger Precision Rifle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Litespeeds
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2015
    • 3260

    Brand new model Ruger Precision Rifle

    I was at a shop today picking up my Wilson Combat Recon SR when I asked about the Ruger Precision Rifle. Sure enough, they had a brand new one that is the newest model and offered it to me for $1,599. It seems the prices have gone up on these and he told me Ruger only makes 3 of these each day so it is very hard for shops to keep up with demand. I was so tempted to buy it as they just got it in. There are a few changes from the old model. Since I am not familiar with these rifles, I don't exactly know all the differences other than the hand rail being smaller. Probably should have bought it but figured I'd leave it for someone who really wants one.
  • #2
    killshot44
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 4072

    Re; 3 per day

    He's either a liar or ignorant, neither are want you want to deal with.

    Comment

    • #3
      Sutcliffe
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2003
      • 6792

      Probably just a salesman

      Originally posted by killshot44
      Re; 3 per day

      He's either a liar or ignorant, neither are want you want to deal with.
      Three per day would be what, around a thousand per year?
      Yeah, Ruger probably allocates three a day per gun shop is more likely.

      Comment

      • #4
        kengotit
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 938

        made me laugh
        Keep Calm and Carry On

        Check out the BAY AREA sub-forum
        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=304

        Comment

        • #5
          MarkG35
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 580

          Originally posted by killshot44
          Re; 3 per day

          He's either a liar or ignorant, neither are want you want to deal with.
          Kinda sounds like how many of the regular version they make per day.

          Comment

          • #6
            M1NM
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2011
            • 7966

            Ruger doesn't make 3 of anything per day. If they did take that much time their quality control wouldn't be as bad as it is. Ruger is just an assembly line anymore. A bunch of non gun types sticking their assigned part in the right spot and sending it on down the line to the next guy. Since the bean counters took over the bottom line is make it faster and cheaper. The 10-22 is a prime example painted instead of anodized receiver, plastic trigger group, plastic barrel band, sloppy fitting stock on the take down model. They "re-engineered" their top of the line Red Label shotguns to make them easier/cheaper to produce (even thought they still wanted the bg money for them) and there were so many complaints about them not working that Ruger scrapped the whole idea in less than 6 months - of course everybody that bought one is stuck with it. Bottom line don't buy a Ruger product unless it's at least 5 years old.

            Comment

            • #7
              Sir Toast
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2012
              • 3140

              Prices will drop. I wouldn't pay $1600 for a Ruger precision rifle. I don't think its a rip off, but I think $1600 is better spent on other rifles.

              Comment

              • #8
                Litespeeds
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2015
                • 3260

                Luckily I didn't fall for his sales pitch.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Whiterabbit
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 7599

                  Originally posted by Litespeeds
                  I was at a shop today picking up my Wilson Combat Recon SR when I asked about the Ruger Precision Rifle. Sure enough, they had a brand new one that is the newest model and offered it to me for $1,599. It seems the prices have gone up on these and he told me Ruger only makes 3 of these each day so it is very hard for shops to keep up with demand. I was so tempted to buy it as they just got it in. There are a few changes from the old model. Since I am not familiar with these rifles, I don't exactly know all the differences other than the hand rail being smaller. Probably should have bought it but figured I'd leave it for someone who really wants one.
                  SF bay area? I wouldn't mind a visitation.

                  A local shop to me in San Jose has an RPR in 243. They also wouldn't budge from $1399 for the price. I gave them a number I would have payed on the spot (that is higher than Big5 would charge if you ordered it from them) and they just wouldn't budge. No biggie of course! Shop has the right to do what they want, and this hsop here is first on the block.

                  But still, I'd like to see the new rail. Where in Norcal are you?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    russ69
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 9348

                    Well there are new models, check it out:

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mcisniper
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 532

                      I was told the same thing by one of my distributors but he said 5 a day. Theoretically Ruger will keep making the "old" PR until they run out of parts and them focus solely on the "new" version. Yes, wholesale price went up so up goes retail.
                      sigpic
                      01 FFL, Chula Vista, CA
                      www.westcoastsurvivalarms.com
                      info@westcoastsurvivalarms.com

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mayor McRifle
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2013
                        • 7771

                        Originally posted by Litespeeds
                        I was at a shop today picking up my Wilson Combat Recon SR when I asked about the Ruger Precision Rifle. Sure enough, they had a brand new one that is the newest model and offered it to me for $1,599.
                        $1,599.00 is the MSRP on the new "enhanced" versions of the Ruger Precision Rifles. If a gun shop tried to charge me MSRP for anything, I'd walk out and find a new gun shop.
                        Anchors Aweigh

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JMP
                          Internet Warrior
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 17056

                          That sounds about right; I think he meant 3-5 containers, not 3-5 rifles.

                          I thought that the rifle made sense for some at ~$1,000, but $1,599 seems quite steep for what you are getting. You are getting close to the price of what you can get with a custom barrel.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CobraRed
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2012
                            • 1018

                            An off the shelf 700 action + custom barrel + labor + B&C stock is what $1300-1500?

                            vs an off the self Ruger?

                            I've held one of these, can someone fill me in the mysticism i'm missing? Low manufacturing capability = quality?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              killshot44
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 4072

                              Cobra, you'll have to wade through the 1,955 posts in the original RPR thread to discern that.

                              PM me if you find the answer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1