Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Double Rifles?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    smle-man
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2007
    • 10606

    Originally posted by 1911ShooterPhil
    1911ShooterPhil

    Are the barrels regulated to the sights on the Pedersoli?

    Comment

    • #17
      Bigyates
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 572

      Absolutely no better gun than a period made English double or as addictive. You might find the older English BP double rifles more affordable and just as well made.

      Comment

      • #18
        gdr_11
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 2572

        Originally posted by Bigyates
        Absolutely no better gun than a period made English double or as addictive.
        I agree.....there is something about English doubles that combines quality, handling and mystique. I remember the first time I shouldered a Purdy shotgun; it had a completely different feeling than the Brownings, Ithacas, and L.C. Smith shotguns I had experienced before.

        Reminds me of the time my friend loaned me his 1955 Jag roadster.
        In an emergency, always dial 1911.

        Comment

        • #19
          1911ShooterPhil
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 1037

          They are regulated...

          Originally posted by smle-man
          Are the barrels regulated to the sights on the Pedersoli?
          The Pedersoli Kodiak MK IV is regulated at 100 yards using the fixed rear sight for 405 GR bullets. Then, there are two folding sights you can use for each individual barrel.

          --1911ShooterPhil
          "A gun is a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane (1953)

          Comment

          • #20
            Fjold
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Oct 2005
            • 23064

            I have a Remington (Baikal) double in 45.70 but it's not regulated at all. It's got an adjustment mechanism that doesn't work worth a crap and I'm trying to decide on whether to send it off to a gunsmith friend of mine to get it modified and spend more money on it than it's worth.

            Frank

            One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




            Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

            Comment

            • #21
              dpr
              Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 372

              I've had 5 DR's. love em'. I shot a Cape buffalo in Zimbabwe with a Merkel in 9.3x74 in Zimbabwe in 09'. I still have the Merkel, the rest have sadly gone away. You can still pick up a nice used Chapius or Merkel for 4-6K.

              Comment

              • #22
                Darto
                CGN Contributor
                • Apr 2012
                • 6731

                The Remington Baikals are under a grand (or at least they used to be) on Gunbroker new. 30-06 or 45/70. I hear they kick (recoil) somewhat more than expected.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Darto
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 6731

                  And Pedersoli makes a double barrel percussion, definitely traditional, and under $2000. Big bore guns, and they are often around $1000 used.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    smle-man
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2007
                    • 10606

                    Originally posted by Fjold
                    I have a Remington (Baikal) double in 45.70 but it's not regulated at all. It's got an adjustment mechanism that doesn't work worth a crap and I'm trying to decide on whether to send it off to a gunsmith friend of mine to get it modified and spend more money on it than it's worth.

                    Sure looks nice! I've read that in some cases double rifles are only regulated using a specific load and bullet weight. Otherwise they shoot to different points.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Fjold
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 23064

                      Originally posted by smle-man
                      Sure looks nice! I've read that in some cases double rifles are only regulated using a specific load and bullet weight. Otherwise they shoot to different points.
                      Double rifles are regulated for one specific load, Baikals have a loose collar around the right barrel and an adjustment screw in between the barrels to move the right barrel and match it up to the left barrel's point of impact. My right barrel hits between 6" and 10" higher than the left barrel with every load that I've tried.
                      Frank

                      One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                      Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Divernhunter
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2010
                        • 8753

                        I always thought that one in 470 would be great to have.
                        A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                        NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                        SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          smle-man
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 10606

                          Originally posted by Fjold
                          Double rifles are regulated for one specific load, Baikals have a loose collar around the right barrel and an adjustment screw in between the barrels to move the right barrel and match it up to the left barrel's point of impact. My right barrel hits between 6" and 10" higher than the left barrel with every load that I've tried.
                          Guess the right barrel is for long distance shooting!

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            smittty
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 6273

                            Originally posted by Fjold
                            Double rifles are regulated for one specific load, Baikals have a loose collar around the right barrel and an adjustment screw in between the barrels to move the right barrel and match it up to the left barrel's point of impact. My right barrel hits between 6" and 10" higher than the left barrel with every load that I've tried.
                            I researched those rifles and that is consistent with everything I found. I found one while traveling in Canada and the dealer said he's had complaints with every one he sold. He had one left and wasn't going to order any more.

                            The gun was rough as is expected from Baikal which I could live with but unregulated barrels was a deal breaker for me. I gave up my search for a affordable double rifle.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1