Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I shot myself!!!! (sort of)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • protohyp
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Sep 2014
    • 3349

    I shot myself!!!! (sort of)

    So let me just give you a run down of set up and events.

    9mm AR pistol

    YHM upper
    CMMG 9mmBCG
    Wilson 7.5" barrel
    YHM comp/brake
    Fortis hand guard

    Basically went out to the desert to try my second owner pistol upper in 9mm. Took two shots and on the third shot felt what seemed to be a sting on my left hand that was on the hand guard. I thought it felt like dust being kicked up and didn't think much of it until I noticed blood dripping down my hand. I took a look and noticed a sharp little cut and after a little inspection realized that it was a piece of jacket had fragmented and imbedded in my left hand. It took a bit to dig it out but it was probably about a millimeter square piece of jacket. I decided to take another shot after inspecting the muzzle and didn't see any damage. Sure enough a smaller piece bit in to me again. This time upon inspecting the YHM brake I noticed a clump of grease stuck on one of the holes. I thought well I'll just pack up this rig and inspect it at home. Got the wounds cleaned up and disinfected and thought back to my last tetanus shot and remembered I'm up to date.

    Anyway...got home and took a look and this is what I found



    This is the build up of grease that came out of the barrel. You can hopefully see itin the picture inside one of the brake vents.



    Wiped the grease on a napkin and sure enough it had pieces of jacket in it



    My poor little wound..small but bled quite a bit. Luckily I had my first aid kit and tweezers to pull it out

    Anyway. The previous owner said he never had an issue and before the yahoos say to blame him I fully trust the guy. The brake is threaded on correctly. But may be out of spec. Anyway...I'm gonna take it off and see what happens without it but just curious to what you guys may think. The weirdest thing is the build up of grease. Before I shot it i inspected and cleaned everything and the PO used froglube on the BCG but never saw a build up of grease anywhere. At least not the amount that had stuck itself on the comp. weird...anyway...thoughts?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
    3 kits at 200.00
    4 kits at 250.00


    MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

    DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp
  • #2
    SkyHawk
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2012
    • 23531

    Two thoughts
    1) where did the grease come from if the pistol was inspected and cleaned before you took it to the range?

    2) that is the worst setup for a business end that I have ever seen. You may as well be grabbing on to the brake when you shoot! You need a linear brake, like yesterday.

    If you plan on keeping that brake and that handguard, you better invest in some kevlar+nomex gloves
    Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-29-2015, 10:26 PM.
    Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

    Comment

    • #3
      kenl
      Senior Member
      • May 2012
      • 1723

      Possibly the brake is undersizes, and meant for a .308?
      sigpic

      California, the once-great first world state that is now a corrupt third world socialist cesspool.

      Comment

      • #4
        beanz2
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2008
        • 12032

        Did you remove the brake when cleaning it? Ask the 1st owner if he's ever used any grease on the rifle.
        sigpic
        The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.

        Comment

        • #5
          Devilmonkey89
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2013
          • 1539

          Originally posted by Sky.Hawk
          Two thoughts
          1) where did the grease come from if the pistol was inspected and cleaned before you took it to the range?

          2) that is the worst setup for a business end that I have ever seen. You may as well be grabbing on to the brake when you shoot! You need a linear brake, like yesterday.

          If you plan on keeping that brake and that handguard, you better invest in some kevlar+nomex gloves
          +1
          My 6.8 spc pistol with a brake was just like your setup, got that rail cut back 1.5" no way i was going to have my muzzle brake blast flames into my hands. The grease is really weird, only way it would come out the barrel is if it was *In the barrel or *from the install on the flash hider. Are you threads concentric? That bit of metal jacket is weird. Get a linear brake for sure.
          NRA Lifetime Member

          Comment

          • #6
            sealocan
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2012
            • 9956

            what type & brand ammo were you using?

            Comment

            • #7
              SkyHawk
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2012
              • 23531

              9mm linear comps are hard to find but should solve your problem. Try this - perhaps the only choice in 9mm: http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-par...-flash-can-9mm

              Or the fatter one
              We are a design and full service manufacturing company that specializes in AR-15 parts & AR-10 parts in the firearm industry. Buy your own firearm parts directly or become a dealer to take advantage of exclusive pricing.


              Either that or cut the rail back.

              Check here to see what else can happen when you run a birdcage brake/hider inside a rail: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....lew-up-my-rail
              Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

              Comment

              • #8
                protohyp
                Vendor/Retailer
                • Sep 2014
                • 3349

                Thanks guys especially sky hawk for all that info. I do understand it's not the ideal set up and I'm sure you understand that if I grabbed the rifle at the comp the cuts would be in my palm not on the top of my hand. My hand was well back of the comp (somewhere in the middle of the guard rails about 3" back) which is the reason I was surprised. I had planned on changing the barrel to a 10.5 as to replicate all my 5.56 in 9mm but I thought why not give this thing a dance before I do so.

                On the JSE website it says the comp is sized for 9mm and yes the source of the grease escapes me and obviously I missed something but if grease is the source of the jacket fragmenting then I guess stranger things could have happened.

                Possibly the grease was in the comp vents already and I just missed it. It is the same color as the comp and I may have glossed over it. So in theory the grease may have just caught the fragments and may have done nothing to cause the fragmentation. So yeah I'll admit that I just cleaned the barrel and receiver and BCG and just checked at home to see if rounds loaded properly so I didn't see a reason for rounds to fragment on the way out unless that is normal which I just don't think so.

                I do like the linear comp but if I end up going with a 10.5" barrel it doesn't solve the problem of figuring out why the jacket is fragmenting at the brake or even prior to that. From what I surmised the jacket bounced back after hitting one of the comp vents twice...maybe multiple times as i only got cut twice. I was using reloads but i'll call shenanigans if any bullet snobs say that is the reason right there...it may very well be. I know the comp has some serious coating on it but there is no damage or scratches from the fragments at all. There is also no damage to the inside of the rail from fragments which is the exact rail as the one that blew up in the link above.

                Anyway SkyHawk thanks for the KAK links...it may be something i'll do if I don't end up changing the barrel but I most likely will be going with a 10.5 as soon as I can.

                Anyone want a 7.5" wilson barrel with a really 'cool' comp???
                Last edited by protohyp; 01-30-2015, 7:13 AM.
                MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
                3 kits at 200.00
                4 kits at 250.00


                MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

                DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

                Comment

                • #9
                  curtru
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 1278

                  I do lol. As to why you bleed like a stuffed pig there are many blood vessels and vains close to the surface. Also the angle of the cut for the brake with the grip going past it could be fragments getting shaved off hitting the guard and embedding in your hand.
                  Last edited by curtru; 01-31-2015, 11:10 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    protohyp
                    Vendor/Retailer
                    • Sep 2014
                    • 3349



                    Got the KAK linear comp as suggested and it's awesome! May not go to a 10.5 barrel because the comp looks awesome tucked in the rail


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
                    3 kits at 200.00
                    4 kits at 250.00


                    MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

                    DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SkyHawk
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 23531

                      Looks B.A.! Have you shot it yet - is it better?
                      Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-24-2015, 5:33 PM.
                      Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        viet4lifeOC
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 4888

                        Pull a John Kerry....

                        Purple heart.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          protohyp
                          Vendor/Retailer
                          • Sep 2014
                          • 3349

                          Originally posted by Sky.Hawk
                          Looks B.A.! Have you shot it yet - is it better?

                          Yes it's smooth as butter!


                          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
                          3 kits at 200.00
                          4 kits at 250.00


                          MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

                          DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rkt88edmo
                            Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 10062

                            Either the brake hole is too small or the threads aren't square on the brake or barrel.

                            Can you pass the butt end of a 9mm cartridge through? Can you caliper measure the hole?

                            Does a 9mm generate enough gas to provide much force through the brake?
                            If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                            Use the goog to search calguns

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              protohyp
                              Vendor/Retailer
                              • Sep 2014
                              • 3349

                              Originally posted by rkt88edmo
                              Either the brake hole is too small or the threads aren't square on the brake or barrel.

                              Can you pass the butt end of a 9mm cartridge through? Can you caliper measure the hole?

                              Does a 9mm generate enough gas to provide much force through the brake?
                              I didn't do any of those things because I knew that a brake like that in the hand guard was not a good idea. I only shot it to test it and never expected it to do what it did. Now I don't have to worry about it because it shoots fine.
                              MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
                              3 kits at 200.00
                              4 kits at 250.00


                              MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

                              DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1