Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 Broken & Shipping Handgun Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LECTRIKHED
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 793

    1911 Broken & Shipping Handgun Question

    My Armscor 1911 barrel link broke. The manufacturer was very nice and sent me a new replacement barrel link and pin. Here is my problem.

    1. The Barrel link pin is stuck in the barrel. I absolutely cannot remove it. Does anyone have any advice for removing it?

    2. They offered to repair it for me and were concerned that the head spacing might be incorrect and need to be fixed. They also volunteered to polish the feed ramp and clean it up while they had it. All of this for free. Except I have to ship it to them. How do I ship a handgun? What is the best way?

    3. I checked UPS next day air and it would be $53. Any recommendations. Would the $53 be cheaper than taking the gun to a local gunsmith?

    Has anyone else had this problem.
  • #2
    KimoBBZ
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 600

    send it...

    I say SEND it. Local 'smith is gonna cost you at LEAST that much just for the repair, add the ramp work and headspace check and you'd be $100 in for sure. In my experience manufacturers will most times "make good" if given the chance and you'll be getting "serviced by the dealer", they will probably do a complete workup on the thing to make sure it's "right" before they send it back to you.

    I only ever had to send 3 handguns in to the manufacturer for repairs/work:

    1. A 2nd hand S&W 38 Bodyguard that had a timing problem, which they did free of charge plus they cleaned it up too as it came back just "pristine". 1992

    2. Consignment Ruger P345, they wanted almost as much as I paid for it to "tighen everything up". It can't hold the 8-ring on a B-27 from 7 yards... 1995

    3. Used Kimber Series I Pro CDP, thumb safety wasn't as "sharp" as I like it, they did it for free and cleaned it up as well. 2008

    I've used local smiths for custom work like installing a new barrel on a 10/22 and fitting it to a new stock... installing 1911 sights (until I bought my own rigs) and the like.
    Numbers to LIVE by... 22, 38, 9, 357, 44, 45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 12

    Comment

    • #3
      LECTRIKHED
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2006
      • 793

      Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping it.

      Comment

      • #4
        BTF/PTM
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 612

        That 53 bucks sounds about right if you're paying for shipping both ways. The only time I shipped a gun on my own dime was when my Steyr M9A1 went back for an upgrade to their new extractor; I paid to ship it to them for somewhere around 22 bucks, and it was shipped back to me for free after the repair was done.

        There aren't any options other than UPS, they're the only authorized firearm shipping organization we got. I think one option they will allow you to use is to ship as an "antique or collectible" so it's treated carefully and it's a bit cheaper than a marked firearm box. Just make sure you give them the gun in its proper case with no ammo anywhere near it and you'll be just fine.
        Originally posted by DocSkinner
        Vote pro 2A, whatever affiliation.
        SO tired of people that seem intelligent and capable of rational thought blowing that image by somehow not thinking and being a blind, party-line voter, and somehow that is good.
        Originally posted by Bizcuits
        Reading an entire thread before posting is like listening to your spouses opinion during an argument. Who the hell would do that..

        Comment

        • #5
          dfletcher
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Dec 2006
          • 14810

          Did they offer to pay for shipping? If you can get them to pay for shipping, they'll probably send you a UPS paid label, pretty sure you can then go to a UPS hub & mail it off. I don't think you can mail it from one of their UPS stores though.

          So far as removing the barrel link from the barrel, a hammer and steel punch is about it. remove from left to right.

          I don't know that headspace is the concern, but if your replacement link is too short it doesn't help accuracy, if it's too long the locking lugs on the top of the barrel won't drop out of the corresponding cuts in the slide before it begins to recoil. That can batter the front of the locking lugs & slide. In general, if you replace the link and have a bit of up & down play in the hood area of the barrel when the gun is in battery you're probably OK.
          Last edited by dfletcher; 10-23-2008, 9:02 PM.
          GOA Member & SAF Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            BTF/PTM
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 612

            That 53 bucks sounds about right if you're paying for shipping both ways. The only time I shipped a gun on my own dime was when my Steyr M9A1 went back for an upgrade to their new extractor; I paid to ship it to them for somewhere around 22 bucks, and it was shipped back to me for free after the repair was done.

            There aren't any options other than UPS, they're the only authorized firearm shipping organization we got. I think one option they will allow you to use is to ship as an "antique or collectible" so it's treated carefully and it's a bit cheaper than a marked firearm box. Just make sure you give them the gun in its proper case with no ammo anywhere near it and you'll be just fine.
            Originally posted by DocSkinner
            Vote pro 2A, whatever affiliation.
            SO tired of people that seem intelligent and capable of rational thought blowing that image by somehow not thinking and being a blind, party-line voter, and somehow that is good.
            Originally posted by Bizcuits
            Reading an entire thread before posting is like listening to your spouses opinion during an argument. Who the hell would do that..

            Comment

            • #7
              KimoBBZ
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 600

              really?

              Originally posted by BTF/PTM
              ...There aren't any options other than UPS, they're the only authorized firearm shipping organization we got...
              I thought as long as it was overnight and signature required. I sent a piece to Novak's awhile back and I'm prety sure I used FedEx. Something change?
              Numbers to LIVE by... 22, 38, 9, 357, 44, 45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 12

              Comment

              • #8
                paul0660
                In Memoriam
                • Jul 2007
                • 15669

                Fedex can do it. Call the manufacturer and see if you can get a Fedex account number so you don't have to pay the shipping. And if they won't pay for the shipping, tell them they lost a potential customer..............ME.
                *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                Comment

                • #9
                  mike452
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 1510

                  People, $53 UPS Next Day Air is one way! Is Armscor paying for return shipping?

                  Fedex would be cheaper if you create an online account and use it.

                  If you are eating both shipping charges, I would fix it locally.
                  ======

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JTROKS
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 13093

                    I hope you didn't try to punch the pin the wrong way... I'd say ship it to them. A broken link might mean a very bad barrel fit, like upon cycling after a round is fired the barrel is stopping it's rearward travel via the link instead of the lower lugs agains the frame. A 1911 that is fitted like that will break the link in a couple of hundred of rounds. If they throw in the ramp and polish job it's worth the $53.
                    The wise man said just find your place
                    In the eye of the storm
                    Seek the roses along the way
                    Just beware of the thorns...
                    K. Meine

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Splinter
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • 513

                      53 bucks is nothing for a complete go through. If the barrel is efd up, they will put a better barrel in it as well. I say go for it!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BTF/PTM
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 612

                        I didn't overnight my Steyr when I shipped it, it just went standard. Then again, I believe it went under the name of "antique or collectible" as I mentioned above, so I think maybe the shipper bent the rules a bit.

                        I didn't know we could use FedEx as well, I was told that UPS was it. Learn somethin' new every day
                        Originally posted by DocSkinner
                        Vote pro 2A, whatever affiliation.
                        SO tired of people that seem intelligent and capable of rational thought blowing that image by somehow not thinking and being a blind, party-line voter, and somehow that is good.
                        Originally posted by Bizcuits
                        Reading an entire thread before posting is like listening to your spouses opinion during an argument. Who the hell would do that..

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          big50_1
                          Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • 478

                          For security reasons (employees steal guns) UPS policy is to overnight handguns so it costs that much. Long guns can go ground and is in the $15-25 dollar range to ship. Several months ago I sent a used Ruger Police Service Six back for a tech check and it cost me $56 dollars UPS one way. Ruger picked up the return and any parts replacement. They are great about that! Personally I would check with the company if $53 for sending it to them is the only outlay but I think you will be miles ahead to have the manufacturing company check over their own product. I've always been pleased when the original company does. They usually really "go over" it.
                          Last edited by big50_1; 10-24-2008, 8:40 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dgey
                            Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 431

                            pick a service and overnight it. go to a hub and not an UPS store or fedex store. Insure the package and good to go...
                            Doug

                            The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals...[I]t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.
                            --- Oct 7, 1789, Hist. Soc.-A.G. Papers, 2

                            support your local gun dealer in CA as they are a rare breed and subject to nonexistence...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              LECTRIKHED
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 793

                              Thank you guys for all of your advice. The $53 was one way. I need to call them and make sure that they will pick up the return shipping.

                              As for it breaking. I bought the gun used. Don't really know how old it is. However, it looks to be in great condition. I put a few hundred rounds through it before the barrel link broke.

                              I have to say I was absolutely surprised how helpful Armscor Precision was. I was not expecting that from them. I'm going to spend the money and ship it back to them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1