Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

9mm HD ammo recommendations.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Raptor3000
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 2837

    9mm HD ammo recommendations.

    Hi Guys,

    Please recommend some good home defense 9mm ammo.

    thanks
  • #2
    davidb
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 1769

    I like hornady xtp and ftx

    Comment

    • #3
      HK416
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 1466

      Federal HST

      Comment

      • #4
        gsxr310
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2013
        • 662

        speer gold dots

        Comment

        • #5
          NATEWA
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2012
          • 5977

          Originally posted by i<3HK
          Federal HST
          This in 124 grain. Also like hornady.

          Comment

          • #6
            calif 15-22
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Jan 2012
            • 6050

            Federal HST 147gr

            End thread . . . Nothing more to see here
            Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
            It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
            Originally posted by Hoooper
            Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              tanks
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2014
              • 4038

              Winchester SXT (aka black Talon) 147gr.
              "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
              "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

              Comment

              • #8
                kszaid
                Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 125

                +1 for Federal HST's. I have them in my Glock and Sig.
                "Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -White Goodman

                Comment

                • #9
                  XDJYo
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 7114

                  Check out tnoutdoors for his youtube videos. Pretty detailed reviews of a lot of ammo including gel tests, velocity testing and a variety of different handguns etc.

                  I am using Gold Dot 124 grain +P (I think). Actually, it's in the wife's Glock 19.

                  I use Gold Dots 230 grain in my 1911.

                  Hope you find what works for you in your pistol.

                  Happy shooting and be safe.
                  Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                  Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                  Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                  M&P 15 (Mine)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    funk_drum
                    Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • 289

                    Can anyone find 147 gr hst? Guessing home defense gun isn't a small one so you don't have to worry about short barrel performance? Hst is nice and critical defense.
                    Last edited by funk_drum; 01-12-2015, 10:56 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mossy Man
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jun 2011
                      • 7641

                      Originally posted by i<3HK
                      Federal HST
                      Originally posted by NATEWA
                      This in 124 grain. Also like hornady.
                      3rd

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        L84CABO
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 8779

                        Originally posted by calif 15-22
                        Federal HST 147gr

                        End thread . . . Nothing more to see here
                        +1...except 124gr is very nice too. And I just got done looking at this because I picked up an XDS 3.3 in 9mm and was concerned about my ammo functioning well in a short barreled pistol. The Federal HST 124gr performed flawlessly in a shorter barrel.

                        Suggest you google the Fed HST. You'll be very impressed with what you find. This will get you started...

                        "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

                        Fighter Pilot

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Visto
                          Member
                          • Oct 2014
                          • 120

                          Federal HST, Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Sabres

                          Cool thing about Critical Defense/Duty and Sabres are you can sometimes find them for .50 cents a round so if you want to stockpile or practice a lot, it might be easier on your wallet. If youre shooting from a 3" barrel you should favor +P but then you have more recoil in a smaller gun, there is always a trade off. There are some standard pressure SD rounds that do fine in short barrels but I haven't been keeping up with the new SD ammo, it might be the 124 HST but I'm not sure on that.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            funk_drum
                            Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • 289

                            Originally posted by L84CABO
                            +1...except 124gr is very nice too. And I just got done looking at this because I picked up an XDS 3.3 in 9mm and was concerned about my ammo functioning well in a short barreled pistol. The Federal HST 124gr performed flawlessly in a shorter barrel.

                            Suggest you google the Fed HST. You'll be very impressed with what you find. This will get you started...

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0
                            There is a guy on youtube testing self defense ammo out of a 3" barrel gun. I was interested because I carry a 3.3 too. The HST was a top performer out of that little barrel. Also the 147 gr Winchester W Defend round. It's part of the train-defend line. The Winchester penetrated a little better than the HST, but the hst opened a bit more on average. He tested Hornady critical defense and critical duty. The duty over-penetrated because it didn't get the velocity to open properly. The critical critical defense was good, but the hst and Winchester W Defend performed better through 4 layers of denim into gel. Search Ammo Quest 9mm on youtube.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Raptor3000
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 2837

                              Thank you guys.

                              Forgot to mention I will be using Glock 34 gen3 for HD.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1