Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

The caliber cycle (Not caliber war)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MCM
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 553

    The caliber cycle (Not caliber war)

    No intention of having another caliber war thread.
    (What's better / just as good etc. thread) There is no winner.

    This one is to point out what goes in and out of fashion, and why?

    38 Special / .45, then.357 mag = king of the hill. 44 Special / no longer special. Dirty Harry 44 mag. .9mm a bit more common here in the early 80's. 10mm V.S. 40. V.S. .45. (The FBI days) 357 SIG to concur the world, 10mm fades away with the 357 Sig. .40 has a solid 15 year run, 9mm takes back over. Now it looks like they are making a run / renewing interest in 10mm. (Who saw that coming?) Its always had a core following after the initial push, but I have a feeling they want us to start buying it again in the near future.

    I cant think of anything I do not have fun shooting. Not picking a winner or choosing sides. It just amazing how the community of shooters is herded around, then back again now and then. If you have only been into it for a few years, this post wont make much sense. But if you have been somewhat involved 2-3-4+ decades. You might get it. And smile.

    I remember feeling a bit un sure buying a 9mm Belgium Browning HiPower in 1984 asking if finding ammo could be a problem?
    (In a world of 38's and .45's) I also remember ammo feeling much hotter
    back then,
    Will find out what they are telling me I need for 2015 at the SHOT SHOW.
    Am guessing its a 10mm this year. Will find out real soon.

    Just something to talk about.
  • #2
    Dingusmalarky
    Banned
    • Jan 2015
    • 178

    I'd be pretty excited if 10mm made a comeback

    I've wanted a 10mm revolver since I heard about the S&W that they stopped making

    Comment

    • #3
      himurax13
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2009
      • 3895

      I believe the 10mm will remain an obscure round. I don't see anyone other than enthusiasts who will use it.

      I am sure 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP will continue to be the most popular center fire pistol cartridges.
      Originally posted by Bumslie
      HK - the best 600 dollar gun, 900 dollars can buy.
      Originally posted by Sleighter
      Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

      Lifetime NRA member.

      Comment

      • #4
        liamettocs
        Member
        • Jun 2014
        • 308

        They already make a 10mm revolver, but they call it a .41 magnum.

        Comment

        • #5
          RR.44
          CGSSA Leader
          • Mar 2012
          • 1933

          Originally posted by liamettocs
          They already make a 10mm revolver, but they call it a .41 magnum.
          Yeah, and the ammo costs about the same.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            MCM
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 553

            Agree. CCW brought the .380 back. Not sure what they will use for the 10mm.
            Man and beast defense? No idea.

            Comment

            • #7
              Carcassonne
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 4897

              I think movies, videos, TV, and the news has a lot to do with what calibers are popular. Most people are "monkey see - monkey do" types. The Beretta 92 was popular when the US military chose it as its sidearm, and it was seen in movies. The 1911 was popular because of all the WWII, Korean, and Vietnam war movies. Magnum PI also used a 1911. The 44 Mag was popular when Dirty Harry came out. People also buy waht they are familiar with. 30-06 was popular after the World Wars because people were familiar with that cartridge in the war. The AR became popular because of Vietnam and the Gulf War(s).



              .
              .
              Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

              In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

              I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

              Comment

              • #8
                chuckdc
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 1919

                While the 10mm is a really cool round, it is probably not going to be in the top-tier of popularity for the same reasons it didn't get there the first time. It's too long to fit in most platforms that fit just-about-everyone's hands. I have small-ish hands and I have troubles with trigger reach on things like the 10mm/.45 frame Glocks, and so on, I can still use them but not easily or well. Lots of others have the same issue. It was one of the main reasons why the 10 failed with the FBI (along with the CF of a design that they inflicted on the S&W guns that worked before they made them change them) The grip size issue also affected recoil control and perceived recoil, even when thy down-loaded the 10. The .40 came about less for the power level ( it's equal to the downloaded 10) than for the fact that it physically fit into existing 9mm frame envelopes.With a few tweaks due to the pressure and power level differences, the "high-cap" 9 became a slightly-less cap .40. The 9 has come back more because of improved bullet design that has improved what a 9 can do. It may also be a realization that the differences between effectiveness of handgun rounds is really just tinkering at the margins for a few percent, and people who don't practice A lot shoot 9's better, which makes more differnce than a small edge in terminal performance of the bullet.
                I like the 10, I like and have shot thousands of .40 rounds. Right now I carry a 9 most of the times I carry, because it gets me more rounds in an easy to conceal package. I think all the rounds mentioned are pretty good at what they do (except the .45 GAP. Don't see much use for that one!)

                Embrace diversity! Own some of each!
                "Mr. Rat, I have a writ here that says you are to stop eating Chen Lee's cornmeal forthwith. Now, It's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of same!"

                Comment

                • #9
                  heidad01
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 4902

                  Originally posted by Carcassonne
                  I think movies, videos, TV, and the news has a lot to do with what calibers are popular. Most people are "monkey see - monkey do" types. The Beretta 92 was popular when the US military chose it as its sidearm, and it was seen in movies. The 1911 was popular because of all the WWII, Korean, and Vietnam war movies. Magnum PI also used a 1911. The 44 Mag was popular when Dirty Harry came out. People also buy waht they are familiar with. 30-06 was popular after the World Wars because people were familiar with that cartridge in the war. The AR became popular because of Vietnam and the Gulf War(s).
                  .
                  .
                  ^^^ that just about covers it all.
                  I just hope the bell bottom pants and the long side burns do not ever come back.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    claimjumper86
                    Junior Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 75

                    I really believe that major changes adopted by the military or major LE such as FBI greatly influences caliber choice trends. There does seem to be ALOT of SIG enthusiasts waiting for their 10mm to hit the market.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JohnCCW
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 1307

                      Originally posted by MCM
                      Agree. CCW brought the .380 back. Not sure what they will use for the 10mm.
                      Man and beast defense? No idea.
                      Yes- works for me...
                      sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
                      Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        JohnCCW
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 1307

                        Originally posted by claimjumper86
                        I really believe that major changes adopted by the military or major LE such as FBI greatly influences caliber choice trends. There does seem to be ALOT of SIG enthusiasts waiting for their 10mm to hit the market.
                        How will you be able to buy that pistol in CA?
                        If the roster lives, you are limited to a Kimber 1911, or a Glock configuration.
                        Last edited by JohnCCW; 01-11-2015, 12:45 PM.
                        sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
                        Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          claimjumper86
                          Junior Member
                          • Apr 2013
                          • 75

                          Yeah, I hear ya. Hope that future see's our infamous "Roster" to be declared unconstitutional.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            k1dude
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2009
                            • 15973

                            Whatever the US military and police uses seems to be the most popular. 12 ga and .22 LR always hang in there regardless of era.

                            WWI Era = .30-06, .38 Spl, .45 ACP.

                            WWII Era = .30-06, .38 Spl, .45 ACP, .357 Mag.

                            Korean Era = .30-06, .45 ACP, .357 Mag.

                            Vietnam Era = 5.56, .308, .45 ACP, .357 Mag.

                            Desert Storm/GWOT Era = 5.56, 9mm, .40, .308

                            I'm speaking of cartridge sales volume being the equivalent of most popular. Sure stuff like the 10mm, .44 Mag, 20 ga, .270, 7.62 x 39, and 30-30 were/are popular choices at times, but not in comparative total cartridge sales volume.
                            "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                            "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              BigPimping
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 21487

                              Originally posted by himurax13
                              I believe the 10mm will remain an obscure round. I don't see anyone other than enthusiasts who will use it.

                              I am sure 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP will continue to be the most popular center fire pistol cartridges.


                              I would agree with this statement. Most rounds used by LE will be readily available.
                              sigpic

                              PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                              When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                              Don't let your history be a mystery

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1