Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 Slide Freezing Up

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • penguinofsleep
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 2070

    1911 Slide Freezing Up

    So I've already contacted the manufacturer and they're going to take care of the issue for me. However, in the mean time, I know there are some knowledgeable people here and I'm curious as to what the root cause may be (manufacturer suspects a cause as well too).

    But first and foremost, I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone has tips for shipping. Pre-paid and insured label is for FedEx. I will probably ship from a local FedEx-Office location (or Fedex Kinkos, w/e they are called now) unless someone strongly recommends against it (or a particular location).
    So far I have seen in another thread - Federal law requires you to declare a firearm, multiple shipping labels to make it difficult for an employee to slap their own sticker over it, insure over $1k to get special handling where each handler can be held personally accountable if something goes wrong, and use a bigger box.

    Anyways, the problem is that the slide would lock up on the way forward after firing a shot about half the time. By stuck, I mean stuck enough that I had to hit the back of the slide over and over until it was eventually just pushed back into battery (it wasn't just a tap or whack and then the recoil spring would push it back).
    - Slide only has problems going forwards back into battery during live fire. It cycles perfectly by hand and is not overly tight.
    - There isn't one particular spot on the way forward where the slide gets stuck. It could be all the way back, 1mm away from being in battery, or anywhere in between. Sometimes it'd also happen after pushing down on the slide release (oddly enough this didn't happen with dummy rounds). EDIT: This means lockup can occur before the slide makes any contact with the ammo.
    - Ejector is properly pinned and doesn't wiggle.
    - Can 100% guarantee it isn't magazine or ammo related. It seems like the manufacturer agrees. EDIT: occured even w/o a magazine on several instances.
    - Proper lubrication was used and additional lube didn't help. Small and internal parts fit properly (at least as far as I can tell).
    Last edited by penguinofsleep; 01-08-2015, 1:06 PM.
  • #2
    P5Ret
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2010
    • 6395

    My guess would be a feed ramp or barrel throat issue, but that's just a wild azz guess. I am curious as to why the manufacturer isn't issuing a call tag to return it to them. I've heard that you are probably better off if shipping yourself to take it to a FedEx hub, instead of one of the stores.

    Comment

    • #3
      penguinofsleep
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 2070

      Call tag was an option. Primarily I didn't want to sit around all day waiting for the driver to show up.

      Comment

      • #4
        tbc
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2011
        • 5955

        Full length guide rod?


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment

        • #5
          penguinofsleep
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 2070

          Standard GI guide rod. Is full length more prone to problems?

          Comment

          • #6
            davidb
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2010
            • 1769

            When I had to ship a pistol in for warranty work I was given a prepaid FedEx label. I called my local FedEx corner store and asked if I could ship the gun there, he looked through some rule book and said it was okay.

            I'm pretty sure pistols have to be next day shipped so I wasn't worried about it getting taken in transit, and they aren't allowed to put anything on the box to identify it was a gun.

            Comment

            • #7
              SkyHawk
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2012
              • 23531

              Fedex requires handguns to be shipped overnight - get ready for some serious sticker shock.
              Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

              Comment

              • #8
                Mark49
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 1153

                I have two 1911 Springfields, the mil spec worked flawless, the black stainless upgraded jammed. The tolerances were so tight it was "steel on steel" with the slide. Sent it to springfield and problem resolved free of charge. My point is. The 1911s were build with a fair amount of tolerances, now with us consumers demanding 2" groups @ 50 yards.

                Comment

                • #9
                  tbc
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 5955

                  Originally posted by penguinofsleep
                  Standard GI guide rod. Is full length more prone to problems?

                  When the damn thing bent, yes.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bulletblood
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 753

                    Sounds like some timing issue, barrel lug or link fit.
                    Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Motosurgeon
                      Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 425

                      Originally posted by bulletblood
                      Sounds like some timing issue, barrel lug or link fit.
                      This

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Voo
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 1702

                        Possibly the bore/chamber isn't sized properly.

                        Take your barrel out of the slide and drop a factory round in. See how far it goes. It should drop all the way down and sit flush with the barrel hood without having to push on it.

                        If it doesn't then the issue is likely that your bore/chamber is undersized.
                        Aloha snackbar!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          epwegmann
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 1248

                          Mind sharing who the manufacturer is? If it is Springfield, should be no worries about shipping if it is a warranty issue.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Jon Road King
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2012
                            • 926

                            Sticky disconnecter. Lock the slide back and press down on the disconnecter with a punch. It should be smooth as butter. If it feels gritty or there is resistance, thats probably the issue.

                            If not, I second the barrel lock up theory...
                            "Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake."

                            --- Napoleon

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              six seven tango
                              CGSSA Associate
                              • Jan 2012
                              • 1725

                              Originally posted by Sky.Hawk
                              Fedex requires handguns to be shipped overnight - get ready for some serious sticker shock.
                              Also, when you look at their online (fedex) locator, make sure you pick a ground pickup location. You cannot ship a handgun from an express pickup only location.
                              sigpic

                              When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1