Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W 686 Models which do we like?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    huntndog
    Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 306

    Originally posted by mievil

    If you watched your own repost of a link of a video, he didn't videotape it while it happened either. The camera went on after the fact.
    ^^ Here is the actual video clearly showing the Internal Lock 'locking up' the gun and rendering it unusable.
    A gunsmith verified (also on video at that link) that the Internal Lock malfunctioned. It was the reason that the gun 'locked up'.

    If you feel comfortable with the IL on your HD gun, more power to you. But to say it's LAME to feel otherwise is a bit much.


    Last edited by huntndog; 12-30-2014, 4:16 PM.

    Comment

    • #62
      Revoman
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 2395

      calif 15-22:

      Thanks! Still working on finding a 2.5"....tough project in CA!

      Comment

      • #63
        rb765
        Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 466

        I bought a midnight black 686-3 4" as part of an estate lot and ended up keeping it. I took it to the gun smith to replace the springs with competition springs and he ended up doing a free trigger job also. After adding pachmar grips, this thing is a beast. If I could pry it out of my wife's hands, it is fantastic to shoot making a one hole group the size of a silver dollar at 10 yards offhand. This is the most accurate shooting pistol I have ever owned. the 50 round target that I turned in for inclusion on my permit was a one hole group also.
        "You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."

        Robert A. Heinlein


        NRA Life Member

        Comment

        • #64
          jimsguns
          Member
          • Oct 2014
          • 169

          I personally prefer the 6" .357's (586, 686, 715, Python, etc.) but the 4" is a close second. 6-rounds nice for nostalgic reasons but 7-rounds is nice additional capacity for only $20 difference in MSRP IMO.

          Comment

          • #65
            RudyN
            Senior Member
            • May 2007
            • 2288

            I don't have any double action revolvers right now, but I think a 686 6" is in the near future .357 for sure.

            Sent from the Telegraph Office
            Rudy N
            NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
            CRPA MEMBER

            Comment

            • #66
              Che762x39
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 4538

              Originally posted by nikki#2
              As always, it depends... Range or HD gun? If HD....

              I'd recommend a 4" 6-shot, pre-lock. Why pre-lock? Because there are documented cases where the IL locked and froze the gun.
              Why 6-shot? Because a great way to improve your revo skills is to try IDPA at your local club, and the best place to start is Stock Service Revolver (SSR) division,
              which has a 4" max barrel length rule. And while you can use a Plus in SSR, you can only load 6 rounds at a time, which is a total PITA...


              Very good points and a nice revolver too. I got a 686 30 years ago as a duty gun. $330 MSRP then. I recommend them highly but I do not own one now.

              Comment

              • #67
                orangeusa
                • Jul 2009
                • 9055

                I have pre-lock 686 and 586 models in 6". Very nice but I end up shooting my Ruger Security Six more. It is old, but very solid and cost 1/2 the price of either. The trigger is fine AND has a trigger bar so is safer.. I don't plan on testing this out.

                It is hard to rip on wheelguns. Something very solid, accurate and reassuring about them.
                I love checking out older 38's. They have so much character and csn be purchased very inexpensively.

                .

                Comment

                • #68
                  mnichols
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • 2625

                  Originally posted by Miltiades

                  ^ this is the goal, and I am half way there...

                  20140502_085152.jpg
                  https://www.activejunky.com/invite/132380
                  Mr.Rebates sign-up referral link: http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1034188

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    BigPimping
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 21487

                    Cannot go wrong with any of those babies. I would take any and all!!!
                    sigpic

                    PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                    When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                    Don't let your history be a mystery

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 883

                      Originally posted by deadsled65
                      My 686 no dash, no M, no lock has always been one of the best guns I've ever owned.

                      Ditto this. My wife has one and it's her favorite gun period.


                      I've fallen, and I can't reach my GLOCK !

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        TacoTodd
                        CGSSA Leader
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 552

                        I just got the 686 8" barrel (1985) and I really love it. It is a beautiful gun. Yes it is heavy due to the 8" barrel but very accurate with very little recoil. I also like the grips design but more importantly how they fit in my hands.
                        NRA Member


                        Insight Shooting Range Monthly Shoot Dec 17th

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          BigPimping
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 21487

                          I cannot think of any 686 models that I do not like.
                          sigpic

                          PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                          When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                          Don't let your history be a mystery

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            Jeepergeo
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 3507

                            Originally posted by nikki#2
                            'Extremely rare'... While I'm sure that's true, I don't take chances with my HD guns.... YMMV.

                            http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-686-locks-up/
                            No doubt there has been a defect or malfunction in a few guns in just about every mass made line of firearms ever produced. It's the nature of the beast. The locks on the modern S&W revolvers may have caused some problems, but not likely any more problems than standard features on other mass produced firearms. At least with S&W you have a time tested and reliable company to evaluate and resolve any issue found and stand behind their product, not to mention the pre-release testing.
                            Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
                            Life Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              colossians323
                              Crusader for the truth!
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 21637

                              Originally posted by deadsled65
                              My 686 no dash, no M, no lock has always been one of the best guns I've ever owned.

                              Do you realize the M is to fix the short comings in that pistol?

                              This one has the "M" stamp


                              This one was used by the treasury department
                              LIVE FREE OR DIE!

                              M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

                              Originally posted by M. Sage
                              I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                BigPimping
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Feb 2010
                                • 21487

                                Originally posted by mnichols
                                ^ this is the goal, and I am half way there...

                                [ATTACH]379102[/ATTACH]


                                All I can say is wow!!!!! I am envious!!!
                                sigpic

                                PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                                When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                                Don't let your history be a mystery

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1