Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W Shield review

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • harley66
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 893

    S&W Shield review

    OK,,,, got my Non Ca complaint Shield (40 cal NO safety and of course NO Loaded round indicator AND it can fire without the Mag)

    I am a 1911 fan and I also have a Glock 27 - I use both for CCW. I wanted to try the Shield because it is single stack and therefore must thinner - better CCW

    But will it function as well as my old trusted 1996 Glock 27 - That gun will eat anything - including my hard lead re-loads - Yes, I have a second barrel for the hard Lead.

    After taking the Shield apart for a good pre-shoot service and look over - Looks pretty close to a Glock inside. and LOVE that S&W finally made the shield without that dreaded thumb safety.

    counted out 100 of my Hard Lead re-loads and headed to the range. cool and a little windy but only really interested to see how may FTF or FTE or what ever - did some internet reading and found several shooters that loved the shield and some that said - problems??

    Glad MY shield did not read those posts, lol

    100 rounds (100%) BANG - Not one problem or issue - It ate everyone and ejected everyone just fine.

    Recoil - Non Issue

    Noise - Non Issue

    Brass throw - as expected - non issue.

    So, I guess its a keeper.

    I did the SSE on this gun to be able to buy a REAL gun and not some neutered CA version... Now, I am just poking fun here - CA Shields are just fine, I just prefer my striker system trigger to be like the Glock - no safety needed
    Enjoy today for tomorrow may never come.. Harley

    History is a myth that men agree to believe.
    Napoleon
  • #2
    skilletboy
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 2673

    Wondering if you felt a noticeable difference between the felt recoil of the .40 vs the 9mm?

    I love the .40 S&W as a round, but went with the 9mm for my shield. Im regretting it. I got it bc its what my wife wanted to learn on.

    Thinking about selling and going with a .40.
    "If the American people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the law then they will conclude that neither are they." - Michael Cannon, Cato Inst. 2014
    _________________________________________

    Comment

    • #3
      echoThreeOneSix
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2013
      • 1332

      Originally posted by skilletboy
      Wondering if you felt a noticeable difference between the felt recoil of the .40 vs the 9mm?
      I was wondering the same exact thing
      Originally posted by m---------------1
      Bump... also interested in 1911 for trade
      ...as a trade for a glock 43. wtf guys, wtf.

      Comment

      • #4
        static2126
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2013
        • 5619

        Originally posted by skilletboy
        Wondering if you felt a noticeable difference between the felt recoil of the .40 vs the 9mm?

        I love the .40 S&W as a round, but went with the 9mm for my shield. Im regretting it. I got it bc its what my wife wanted to learn on.

        Thinking about selling and going with a .40.

        Noticeable difference for me. .40 is much less pleasant to shoot. I shoot my 9mm one all the time

        Comment

        • #5
          harley66
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2003
          • 893

          I have shot both and really no difference for me - both feel fine -

          IF you want to get the SSE - better make it this week - even with that, Alquist my be done - SSE is DONE for CA on the 31st - meaning the 10 would be the 21st IF they will do it and they have it in stock...

          I am also aware that the gun / Grip is thinner on the Shield compared to the Glock so the recoil is spread out more on the Glock - still after 100 rounds today in about 45 min, NO issue..


          Now re-loading those damn mags on the Shiled in the cool air,, What a SOB - hard little buggers to load up - and I thought the Glock mag was tough, LOL

          WA>WA>WA . LOL
          Last edited by harley66; 12-10-2014, 4:49 PM.
          Enjoy today for tomorrow may never come.. Harley

          History is a myth that men agree to believe.
          Napoleon

          Comment

          • #6
            echoThreeOneSix
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2013
            • 1332

            Originally posted by static2126
            Noticeable difference for me. .40 is much less pleasant to shoot. I shoot my 9mm one all the time
            any accuracy difference or is it just less pleasant?
            Originally posted by m---------------1
            Bump... also interested in 1911 for trade
            ...as a trade for a glock 43. wtf guys, wtf.

            Comment

            • #7
              harley66
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2003
              • 893

              Originally posted by echoThreeOneSix
              any accuracy difference or is it just less pleasant?
              Accuracy is really up to the shooter - Hickock45 or me shooting, LOL
              Enjoy today for tomorrow may never come.. Harley

              History is a myth that men agree to believe.
              Napoleon

              Comment

              • #8
                Capybara
                CGSSA Coordinator
                CGN Contributor
                • Feb 2012
                • 15647

                You're lucky your IA will let you CCW with an SSE pistol. Mine won't.
                NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  tonyxcom
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 6397

                  Originally posted by harley66
                  IF you want to get the SSE - better make it this week - even with that, Alquist my be done - SSE is DONE for CA on the 31st - meaning the 10 would be the 21st IF they will do it and they have it in stock...
                  There are plenty of shops doing SSE until 12/31. Trap and Elite for example.

                  DOJ has confirmed they can be picked up in January.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    nickel plate
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 2134

                    I own a FWVOTS9 (free world version of the Shield-9mm.) and got a chance to shoot my hunting bud's Cal model .40mm Shield.
                    There is a BIG difference in recoil/snap between the two.
                    Very glad that bought the 9mm.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      harley66
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • 893

                      Prices very from city to city
                      Last edited by harley66; 01-13-2015, 9:52 AM.
                      Enjoy today for tomorrow may never come.. Harley

                      History is a myth that men agree to believe.
                      Napoleon

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        echoThreeOneSix
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2013
                        • 1332

                        Originally posted by harley66
                        Accuracy is really up to the shooter - Hickock45 or me shooting, LOL
                        oh yeah, i understand that. i was just wondering about his personal experience.
                        Originally posted by m---------------1
                        Bump... also interested in 1911 for trade
                        ...as a trade for a glock 43. wtf guys, wtf.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Nrai2020
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2013
                          • 2343

                          Originally posted by harley66
                          I have shot both and really no difference for me - both feel fine -

                          IF you want to get the SSE - better make it this week - even with that, Alquist my be done - SSE is DONE for CA on the 31st - meaning the 10 would be the 21st IF they will do it and they have it in stock...

                          I am also aware that the gun / Grip is thinner on the Shield compared to the Glock so the recoil is spread out more on the Glock - still after 100 rounds today in about 45 min, NO issue..


                          Now re-loading those damn mags on the Shiled in the cool air,, What a SOB - hard little buggers to load up - and I thought the Glock mag was tough, LOL

                          WA>WA>WA . LOL
                          No as long as you start your DROS before December 31 alquist will do it.. I just picked up my lc9s and will DROS my VP9 in 1.5 weeks.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            harley66
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • 893

                            Originally posted by Nrai2020
                            No as long as you start your DROS before December 31 alquist will do it.. I just picked up my lc9s and will DROS my VP9 in 1.5 weeks.
                            good to know - when I bought mine, someone asked that question and the info I posted was told - however, lol - things change. Money to be made - all business - Alquist is the got to place but be prepared for a WAIT - Pull number, get a book and just rest, lol
                            Enjoy today for tomorrow may never come.. Harley

                            History is a myth that men agree to believe.
                            Napoleon

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CMBrowning
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2014
                              • 918

                              nice review. loving my shield here. I have it in 9. I have shot the 40 and there is a noticeable difference
                              Ephesians 6:10

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1