Delete
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Delete
Collapse
X
-
N frame is a good bit bigger. Not to jam you up but .357 really loses a lot of its punch out of a short barrel. Is this for carry or just for the heck of it? Good luck, I'm at least glad someone is still buying wheel guns besides me.Buying a safe and sane firework is like paying a hooker for a hug. I do not see the appeal in it. -
The wow factor with .357 out of a snubby is pretty high. I have a 686 2.5 inch and I had never bothered with .357 before. It's a great shooter with .38. Just for curiosities sake the other day I put 6 rounds of .357 through it. Full sunlight and the fireball was impressive. Good timesComment
-
Yes, the 627 is an N frame revolver while the 686 is an L frame revolver. The N frame is a heavier frame and is the same frame as the much heavier 44 magnum. The L frame is no slouch though in that it was built as a go between the K frame and N frame and can easily hold it's own comparatively to the N frame in 357.
If it's for CCW, you would probably wanna go with the L frame as it is smaller/lighter, but not really too much smaller/lighter as it also has the underlug barrel, which adds weight to the gun. They come in either 6 or 7 rounds too.
You cannot go wrong with either gun, it's a matter of what you want, the purpose and how it feels to you in hand. (Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder....)
A 2.5" barrel can shoot every bit as well as a 4" depending on the shooters capability by the way.Comment
-
I wouldn't let the 1 extra round influence your decision. Speedloaders are more available in 6 and 7 rounds compared to 8. Also, if your intention is to use moonclips, I find that it's much easier to quickly load a 6 or 7 round moonclip compared to the 8 as they just seem to hold a little tighter. That being said, I own both and If one had to go it would be the 686.Comment
-
Come and Take It!
I'm the only hell my momma ever raised ...Comment
-
I agree. I have the 686+ 4inch. I always shoot 38 out of it. Great gun.The wow factor with .357 out of a snubby is pretty high. I have a 686 2.5 inch and I had never bothered with .357 before. It's a great shooter with .38. Just for curiosities sake the other day I put 6 rounds of .357 through it. Full sunlight and the fireball was impressive. Good timesComment
-
Hey rogervzv, How are those 5 Star 8 rounders? Do they fit pretty tight?Comment
-
If you're really going to CCW it then look at the 327, it's a lot lighter weight. For HD use why not get the 4-5" barrel?
Just being real, not many people can CCW a 627. It's a pretty substantial gun, but it's also one of my favorite guns to shoot. I've had a 4" 627 for years, it's as reliable as a hammer and spits out big magnum rounds like nothing.Comment
-
686 ss is a great format...but, too large for everyday ccw ...great jeep gun
gbsigpicComment
-
No it isn't.Originally posted by remus996Thank you for the replies. The 686 fit so well in my hand. Photos of the 627 seem to show it has a shorter grip. Is this correct?
The 627 has a longer grip frame. It is also further from the top of the backstrap to the face of the trigger...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's TaleComment
-
Does the barrel say ".357 - 8 TIMES" or do my eyes deceive me?
Selling lots of Pistol brass, lots of 38 and 44 mag!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post15935994Comment
-
Honestly, I would look for one without the lock. An early model 686 would be my first choice.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,543
Posts: 25,148,838
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,901
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 17658 users online. 28 members and 17630 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.



But only on the PC version. The standard 627 just says S&W .357 Magnum
Comment