Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 in 40s&w?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • someoneeasy
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 2372

    1911 in 40s&w?

    So I've been thinking about getting a 1911 chambered in 40s&w, does anybody have any experience with it? I pretty much made up my mind already and I'm not looking for anybody to make up my mind, just want to get an idea of what to expect when I get mine.

    I already have a 1911 in 9mm and plan on getting a 1911 in 45 next year, but I think I will be buying one in 40s&w for my last SSE spot.

    Specifically looking at the ROCK ISLAND ARMORY M1911-A1 FS 40SW 8RD TACTICAL II VZ GRIP



    Not really looking for suggestions to buy a kimber or springfield or any other brand you might think is better. Ammo Paradise has it for $592.81 which will put me at $665.34 otd after tax and dros.
  • #2
    slainla
    Member
    • Jun 2014
    • 282

    I dont have an opinion on the 40sw but don't forget ria has a $50 1911 rebate that ends 10/15.

    Comment

    • #3
      Euphoria526
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 3812

      I know a ton of people shoot STI 1911's in .40 S&W in competitions.... Not sure about the RIA's in .40 thougj
      Originally posted by Jimi Jah
      I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
      Originally posted by elpaisa1
      I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

      Originally posted by Euphoria526
      I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself

      Comment

      • #4
        e90bmw
        Senior Member
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2013
        • 1268

        I can't speak to the RIA because I don't have and have never shot one.
        As to .40 S&W in general; I like it better than 9mm even though the ammo is more expensive.
        I have an EMP and like the .40 in the 1911-ish platform.

        Also a 165gr .40 S&W is no worst than 115gr 9mm in recoil and specs.
        The RIA should be a nice pistol, Spingfield doesn't make a .40 in a lagre/standard frame.

        Comment

        • #5
          BEE
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 2901

          How about finding in one 10mm and then have a 40s&w barrel fitted?

          Comment

          • #6
            evlblkrfl
            Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 476

            Yes. 10mm. Without the .40 barrel though.

            Comment

            • #7
              someoneeasy
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2011
              • 2372

              Originally posted by slainla
              I dont have an opinion on the 40sw but don't forget ria has a $50 1911 rebate that ends 10/15.
              Unfortunately, I'm going to miss out on the rebate. .. I decided too late on it and already bought my other handgun for this month.

              Comment

              • #8
                gorillafingaz
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 1289

                I just bought a STI sentry in .40 s&w and get it out of jail in another 5 days....cannot WAIT!! I know that isn't at all close to the same price point, but I would suggest at least checking out the STI line and maybe going with a spartan or trojan.

                Comment

                • #9
                  someoneeasy
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 2372

                  Originally posted by Euphoria526
                  I know a ton of people shoot STI 1911's in .40 S&W in competitions.... Not sure about the RIA's in .40 thougj
                  How do they like it? I am more interested in the performance than the brand

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    someoneeasy
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 2372

                    Originally posted by e90bmw
                    I can't speak to the RIA because I don't have and have never shot one.
                    As to .40 S&W in general; I like it better than 9mm even though the ammo is more expensive.
                    I have an EMP and like the .40 in the 1911-ish platform.

                    Also a 165gr .40 S&W is no worst than 115gr 9mm in recoil and specs.
                    The RIA should be a nice pistol, Spingfield doesn't make a .40 in a lagre/standard frame.
                    Same here, I do like the 40 more than the 9. Not too concerned about recoil. I think I'm leaning towards the 40 because I have a ton of brass for it and don't feel like shooting my glock 22 all that much anymore

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      someoneeasy
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 2372

                      Originally posted by BEE
                      How about finding in one 10mm and then have a 40s&w barrel fitted?
                      I already have a 10mm witness slotted for November, but in curious, can I have a 10mm barrel fitted for the 40 S&W version?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        someoneeasy
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 2372

                        Originally posted by gorillafingaz
                        I just bought a STI sentry in .40 s&w and get it out of jail in another 5 days....cannot WAIT!! I know that isn't at all close to the same price point, but I would suggest at least checking out the STI line and maybe going with a spartan or trojan.
                        Thanks, I thought about it, but I've been pretty happy with ria in the past and it fits my budget
                        Thanks for the suggestion though, let us know how it shoots when you get it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          RugerNo1
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 1644

                          .40 S&W 1911s are very popular in USPSA competition. I have a stripped STI 1911 frame that will be built into a .40 some day.

                          They truly shine when you hand load for them with 180 and 200 grain bullets at a COL of about 1.180-1.200".
                          Dane

                          For the Learned Rifleman

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dk94044
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 915

                            STI Legend with .40 bull barrel is a nice SSE but in the $2500 range and 10rd .40 mags are rare and expensive

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              RugerNo1
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 1644

                              .40 S&W mags rare and expensive? Price may be relative, but rare they are not.

                              Best of the litter right here.
                              Dane

                              For the Learned Rifleman

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1