Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W 3rd Gen Refinishing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • C&Rcollector
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 834

    S&W 3rd Gen Refinishing?

    Does any here have experience with refinishing S&W 3rd gen pistols at home?

    I've heard wet/dry sandpaper, then Scotch-Brite pads, then finish with Mother's. Can anyone provide me their method? Specific details please. I'm trying to get them as close to the original finish as possible.

    Please note, none of the 3rd Gens I'll be working on have scratches or dents just holster glazing/wear.


    Notice: please don't recommend sending them to S&W. I'm not going to pay $200+ for a refinish job on a $400 - $500 gun.
  • #2
    Click Boom
    Calguns Addict
    • Nov 2013
    • 6955

    Sandblasting?

    Comment

    • #3
      RobG
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2006
      • 4887

      Disassemble and bead blast. If stainless or white alloy, that is.

      Comment

      • #4
        bwhited
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 1947

        While no experience with the 3rd generation S&W, I have worked with stainless steel guys (bar and food equipment). They use scotch-brite pads. You just need the right grit to match the finish that you want.

        Comment

        • #5
          QXSOUP
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 989

          The original finish was bead blast with very small beads. I have used the scotchbrite trick in the past on my 4006 and while it works, it is VERY easy to leave behind a "grain" in the stainless.
          WTB: Sig P245 or P220 Compact

          STOP THE TUNNELS

          Comment

          • #6
            C&Rcollector
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 834

            Scotch-Brite Method...

            What color do you start with and finish with?

            Comment

            • #7
              stevie
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3856

              I have used 000 steel wool and oil. Rub lightly to take out small scratches.

              Comment

              • #8
                bwhited
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2009
                • 1947

                I have no idea.


                Originally posted by C&Rcollector
                Scotch-Brite Method...

                What color do you start with and finish with?

                Comment

                • #9
                  QXSOUP
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 989

                  start with the green and move to the gray then the white if you can find them. You gotta take your time and really pay attention. The white pad is their finest and will give it a polished look... if that is your intention.

                  Honestly, i'd just bead blast the thing.
                  WTB: Sig P245 or P220 Compact

                  STOP THE TUNNELS

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    C&Rcollector
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 834

                    Anyone know a bead blaster in San Diego?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      steelholder
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 3328

                      Whenever I get a ding on any of my third gens I use a green scoth bright pad if it's a few scratches(nothing deep) I'll add some oil and GENTLY go back and forth, works every time.
                      WTB 3rd Gen SW also looking for a 22 pistol with 6" bbl or longer

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        C&Rcollector
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 834

                        Thanks Steelholder.

                        I've give it the Scotch-Brite treatment a try. If all fails, I'll bead blast them.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JTROKS
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 13093

                          If your gun model ends with a 6 and you can completely disassemble it why don't you ask your local auto or welding shop if they have a bead blaster. You'll need fine grit beads to get original finish. You don't want sand blast for its not the original finish.
                          The wise man said just find your place
                          In the eye of the storm
                          Seek the roses along the way
                          Just beware of the thorns...
                          K. Meine

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Write Winger
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 6136

                            Thanks for this thread. I'm getting a 6906 today that has a little holster wear.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              C&Rcollector
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 834

                              I've been talking with a guy on the S&W Forum. He used the Scotch-Brite Method with successful results.

                              Wet/Dry sandpaper for scratches, then bending with Scotch-Brite pads, then finish with light Mothers.

                              His 4566 is at the bottom of the page. Looks good enough for me.

                              Hey guys, I just purchased a 4566 from my LGS. :D The gun is in great shape but I was thinking of having it refinished to the original finish so it looks like new. What do you guys think and who do you recommend to do it. I am in SOCAL but am willing to ship anywhere. Thanks in advance for...


                              I'm going to try this method sometime soon, I'll post my before and after results when completed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1