Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock Bulge on a Glock 42?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Seaweed02
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 1650

    Glock Bulge on a Glock 42?

    Hello, I just wanted to know if the Glock 42 produces the famous glock smile in the cases. Or produces any kind of case bulge that makes reloading difficult. Does anyone know?

    Does any company out there make a drop in barrel for the G42?
  • #2
    Bill Steele
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2010
    • 5028

    I don't own one, but I would be pretty surprised if you are loading them within book spec you are going to see any bulges. It is a pretty low pressure round, much like .45 ACP. Even with the really generous chamber of the G21, you never see bulges, and definitely no smiles. I would guess the same for the G42.

    Worst case, if you happen to decide to push the envelope pressure wise and you start seeing bulges, you can always use a LEE Factory Crimp Die with the crimper removed as a pass through resizer. With the Lee bulge buster kit, you can make seriously bulged cases ready for normal sizing in a single pass, like $35 for everything.
    When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

    Comment

    • #3
      IntoForever
      CGSSA Associate
      • Sep 2010
      • 3891

      From what I've been told, you can tell by looking at the feed ramp on the bottom of the barrel. Also, been informed, the newer ones are supported and don't cause bulging cases.
      Disclaimer: I don't have a Glock 42 nor do I know what Gen you are inquiring about.
      With all this "gun control" talk, I've not heard one politician say how they plan on taking guns from criminals, just law abiding Citizens.

      Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
      5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
      Originally posted by pyromensch
      damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll

      Comment

      • #4
        ElDub1950
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2012
        • 5688

        I can tell you after tomorrow's range trip where I get to 'help' break in a brand new one

        Comment

        • #5
          Seaweed02
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2012
          • 1650

          Cool.

          Originally posted by ElDub1950
          I can tell you after tomorrow's range trip where I get to 'help' break in a brand new one
          Cool. I am really interested in hearing what you think of the pistol, and how it shoots. I bought one already but it is waiting it's turn in the gun shop for SSE. I can't start the dros/SSE until the 10th of October. So I won't be able to shoot it until ten days after that. Please give us a range report on your friend's G42.

          Comment

          • #6
            pizzaman77
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2014
            • 55

            I do not have bulges in my G42 like I've seen in my G27. Obviously different pressures utilized. The G42 has been a great gun so far. 500+ through it and only one FTE and that was with my 10 year old daughter trying it out. It is a very soft shooting gun. The only downside is its size in comparison to my shield. I've found I carry the shield much more often because of the 9mm caliber vs. the .380

            Comment

            • #7
              Seaweed02
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2012
              • 1650

              Good deal.

              Originally posted by pizzaman77
              I do not have bulges in my G42 like I've seen in my G27. Obviously different pressures utilized. The G42 has been a great gun so far. 500+ through it and only one FTE and that was with my 10 year old daughter trying it out. It is a very soft shooting gun. The only downside is its size in comparison to my shield. I've found I carry the shield much more often because of the 9mm caliber vs. the .380
              Good deal, that is good to hear. I have been reloading for my Sig P238 and just didn't want to have the case bulge. I guess I could have just separated the cases fired out of the G42 from the ones fired out of the P238, but what a hassle that would have been. It is good to know that I should be able to just reload and use the rounds in either of the two .380 pistols. Thanks.

              Comment

              • #8
                ElDub1950
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2012
                • 5688

                Originally posted by Seaweed02
                Cool. I am really interested in hearing what you think of the pistol, and how it shoots. I bought one already but it is waiting it's turn in the gun shop for SSE. I can't start the dros/SSE until the 10th of October. So I won't be able to shoot it until ten days after that. Please give us a range report on your friend's G42.
                Just got back from the range. We put ~150 rnds of Fed American Eagle through it. I shot 5 mags. Definitely no 'smile' or 'bulge' on the cases.

                It's a nice soft shooting little gun. I have fairly big hands but it fit surprisingly well, obviously with a 2 finger grip .. I like the 2 finger grip on my Glock 26 & 27 so this was easy to get used too. I expected some adjustment for the thin grip but it was really nothing.

                Being new, the recoil spring felt a little stiff, racking the slide but not bad at all and we could tell it loosened up a little by the end. The trigger spec is the typical Glock 5.5 lb, but it felt a little heavy compared to my well used 23 that I had with me. I expect it will be better after a couple hundred more rounds. The trigger was VERY smooth. No grit, no slop, crisp break, great reset. Maybe better than my other Glocks were when fresh off the shelf. If they're all like this one, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with it. If my SSE wish list wasn't already full, I'd seriously consider getting one.

                Bonnie had 1 FTE in the 2nd mag .. no other FTEs or FTF all day. That one might have been an issue with getting used to the grip, for her.

                The only negative I could come up with is that I got a little bit of the finger-bite, exactly the same as I get with my G27, where the bottom of the trigger rubs the bottom of my chubby finger a little bit during recoil, if I have a weak grip on it. If I were going to shoot 500 rnds through it I'd wrap a bandaid or piece of tape on my trigger finger, same as I do with my 27.

                Overall, I'd say it's a winner.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Seaweed02
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 1650

                  Thank you so much.

                  Originally posted by ElDub1950
                  Just got back from the range. We put ~150 rnds of Fed American Eagle through it. I shot 5 mags. Definitely no 'smile' or 'bulge' on the cases.

                  It's a nice soft shooting little gun. I have fairly big hands but it fit surprisingly well, obviously with a 2 finger grip .. I like the 2 finger grip on my Glock 26 & 27 so this was easy to get used too. I expected some adjustment for the thin grip but it was really nothing.

                  Being new, the recoil spring felt a little stiff, racking the slide but not bad at all and we could tell it loosened up a little by the end. The trigger spec is the typical Glock 5.5 lb, but it felt a little heavy compared to my well used 23 that I had with me. I expect it will be better after a couple hundred more rounds. The trigger was VERY smooth. No grit, no slop, crisp break, great reset. Maybe better than my other Glocks were when fresh off the shelf. If they're all like this one, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with it. If my SSE wish list wasn't already full, I'd seriously consider getting one.

                  Bonnie had 1 FTE in the 2nd mag .. no other FTEs or FTF all day. That one might have been an issue with getting used to the grip, for her.

                  The only negative I could come up with is that I got a little bit of the finger-bite, exactly the same as I get with my G27, where the bottom of the trigger rubs the bottom of my chubby finger a little bit during recoil, if I have a weak grip on it. If I were going to shoot 500 rnds through it I'd wrap a bandaid or piece of tape on my trigger finger, same as I do with my 27.

                  Overall, I'd say it's a winner.
                  Thank you so much for that report from your range trip today. I really appreciate it, especially the details you gave. It sounds like I will enjoy it very much, and maybe my wife will really like it also. She likes my little Sig P238 but isn't very accurate with it, so I hope the bigger Glock 42 will be better for her. So how did you find it accuracy wise?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ElDub1950
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 5688

                    Originally posted by Seaweed02
                    Thank you so much for that report from your range trip today. I really appreciate it, especially the details you gave. It sounds like I will enjoy it very much, and maybe my wife will really like it also. She likes my little Sig P238 but isn't very accurate with it, so I hope the bigger Glock 42 will be better for her. So how did you find it accuracy wise?
                    Wasn't paying much attention to accuracy, but putting everything in a 6" target at 7&10 yards without trying. Certainly any inaccuracy was just me

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      IntoForever
                      CGSSA Associate
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 3891

                      Originally posted by pizzaman77
                      I do not have bulges in my G42 like I've seen in my G27. Obviously different pressures utilized. ...
                      Here's an explanation I found online as to why the Glock's damaged brass.
                      An unsupported chamber means that there is a small area of the casing's side exposed.

                      Supported means that the entire casing is covered/supported by the chamber.

                      With all this "gun control" talk, I've not heard one politician say how they plan on taking guns from criminals, just law abiding Citizens.

                      Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
                      5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
                      Originally posted by pyromensch
                      damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        pizzaman77
                        Junior Member
                        • Feb 2014
                        • 55



                        This topic has been beaten to death on several forums. The majority of semi automatic handguns have some degree of unsupported barrel. It promotes reliable feeding. Every 1911 I own has a feed ramp that lends itself to to being an "unsupported barrel". It's a nonissue. Go shoot the Glock and have fun!!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Shenaniguns
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 6158

                          The chambers of Glocks have improved/tightened over the last decade and even more since the Gen 4's came out. It's a non-problem unlike the original 40 caliber Glocks.
                          My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1