Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First Cowboy gun? Help me out!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pterrell
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Aug 2013
    • 3576

    First Cowboy gun? Help me out!

    Thinking about getting my first cowboy gun. Obviously Colt and Ruger are the two big ones, but what to choose? I don't want to spend a TON of money on it. Give me some good suggestions and, of course, pictures
    Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


    Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
  • #2
    Mr.Caketown
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2011
    • 7362

    Good suggestion ?

    Change your seahawks photo
    WTB:
    1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
    2)S&W 686 6in barrel ...686 No dash through 686-4
    3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

    Comment

    • #3
      G-Man WC
      In Memoriam
      • Oct 2005
      • 10991

      Pistol or rifle?
      If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
      -Samuel Adams

      Comment

      • #4
        pterrell
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Aug 2013
        • 3576

        Originally posted by G-Man WC
        Pistol or rifle?
        Pistol. Sorry I didn't think to clarify.

        I have absolutely no interest in the crazy trick shooting or speed shooting stuff that you see some guys doing. I just want a cool cowboy style revolver
        Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


        Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

        Comment

        • #5
          scotchblade
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2012
          • 795

          Nice thing about single actions is they are roster exempt. So you can shop for a used one through Gun Broker. Not saying you should, but you can. That's where I got my 1974 three screw Blackhawk. Sweet shooter!

          Comment

          • #6
            pterrell
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Aug 2013
            • 3576

            Originally posted by scotchblade
            Nice thing about single actions is they are roster exempt. So you can shop for a used one through Gun Broker. Not saying you should, but you can. That's where I got my 1974 three screw Blackhawk. Sweet shooter!
            I didn't know that! So maybe I should use my last DROS of the year for something else? Still though, it would be pretty wicked to get one so lets hear it
            Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


            Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

            Comment

            • #7
              Sputnik
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 2244

              I presume you're talking Colt SAA or Ruger New Vaquero?
              The Colts are Expensive (capital E), the Ruger is sturdy, modernized internally and quite popular. If you want a closer to original copy look at the Cimarron Model P. A solid piece for a bit under $500.

              ETA: prices have gone up it seems...over 500 now.

              Comment

              • #8
                pterrell
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • Aug 2013
                • 3576

                Originally posted by Sputnik
                I presume you're talking Colt SAA or Ruger New Vaquero?
                The Colts are Expensive (capital E), the Ruger is sturdy, modernized internally and quite popular. If you want a closer to original copy look at the Cimarron Model P. A solid piece for a bit under $500.
                http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/car...revolvers.html
                I noticed that they had a pretty hefty price tag attached to them as I was looking. I'll check out Cimarron. It doesn't have to be an exact copy of a SAA or anything like that. Just a cool .45 Colt revolver (or whatever other calibers that style come in, I'm a noob here )
                Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


                Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

                Comment

                • #9
                  rromeo
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 6981

                  If you're not stuck on strict period looks, the Ruger Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are great shooters, and you should find one used under $500. The Blackhawk is .357 Magnum, .44 Special, or .45 Colt, while the Super Blackhawk is .44 Magnum.
                  They're single action, but a bit bigger frames and have adjustable sights.
                  Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

                  - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
                  (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    G-Man WC
                    In Memoriam
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 10991

                    What about something like this?

                    or a blackhawk. 45LC is fun or 357/44 Mag
                    If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
                    -Samuel Adams

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sputnik
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2011
                      • 2244

                      Compared to the price of an actual Colt they're a bargain
                      Also consider that there's no plastic or MIM parts in these things; its steel and wood so there is a bit of material expense in an SAA, even the clones.
                      There are a few companies building them. Uberti is one of the big replica makers and the guns from Cimarron and some from Taylor's are Uberti. I think Pietta is another Italian builder whose guns get rebranded here.

                      The Ruger is more modern inside and with a transfer bar instead of the old style exposed firing pin. I don't know the pricing but Ruger makes a good gun. Cowboy style with modern workings.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TMB 1
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 7153

                        One of these in 45 http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html you'll be able to shoot two cartridges & with the 45 Colt you can get loads that are up with the 44mag in power.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sffred
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2010
                          • 2421

                          Originally posted by BrianDavis
                          Good suggestion ?

                          Change your seahawks photo
                          Lol, smhl. Good game tho SD Chargers for beating the Seahawks.

                          But anyways I recommend a S&W 686 Plus.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            orangeusa
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 9055

                            Uberti has been my goto gun for 45Colt. I also have two 45C Blackhawks and a 44Remmag SuperBlackhawk.

                            But man, the Uberti (Branded and owned by Beretta) is SO COOL...
                            Cimarron buys their guns from Uberti.

                            Nothing wrong with Vaquero, it is sweet, looks the part like the Uberti's.

                            If you want to go cheap (sort of) and end up with a Cowboy pistola, go with a Ruger Single Six (22LR). DANG they are fun.

                            (Remember the price of 45C and 44RM boolits - $1 to $1.50 a round).

                            Evem in this weird market, 22LR is like worst case 11 cents a round..

                            So I suggest Single Six... then whatever you like.

                            .

                            Comment

                            • #15
                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1