Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Trigger Comparison: VP9 / PPQ vs M&P (w/DCAEK) / Other ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Omnomagon
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2014
    • 689

    Trigger Comparison: VP9 / PPQ vs M&P (w/DCAEK) / Other ?

    We've heard plenty about the VP9 and PPQ triggers, which almost always come with the "out of the box" caveat.

    How do they compare with an M&P with an Apex DCAEK trigger?
  • #2
    bulletblood
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 753

    Trigger Comparison: VP9 / PPQ vs M&P (w/DCAEK) / Other ?

    The mp with updated trigger and apex kit is better than both IMHO. Shorter reset , crisper break, and shorter take up. Also the apex can be set to a nice ~5lb pull for carry and duty. IMHO a ppqs trigger is too light and idistinct for carry.
    Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

    Comment

    • #3
      Whatisthis?
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 1820

      M&P with the DCAEK is pretty similar to a stock PPQ. The PPQ trigger, IMO, feels better based on feel of the physical trigger and not the trigger pull. VP9 comes behind both of them due to the reset being further out. Just my opinion though.

      Comment

      • #4
        deephouse
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2012
        • 3858

        Originally posted by bulletblood
        The mp with updated trigger and apex kit is better than both IMHO. Shorter reset , crisper break, and shorter take up. Also the apex can be set to a nice ~5lb pull for carry and duty. IMHO a ppqs trigger is too light and idistinct for carry.
        That's a good point about the PPQ trigger. I have had 2 unintentional double taps (in about 400 rounds) from riding the reset a lil too light after the initial pull.

        Just takes some getting used to I suppose...
        Last edited by deephouse; 09-08-2017, 5:58 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          phase1
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2013
          • 1753

          tagged
          Originally posted by Intimid8tor
          I don't need one but I might need one.

          Comment

          • #6
            Ronin2
            Banned
            • Jan 2011
            • 5563

            Originally posted by deephouse
            That's a good point about the PPQ trigger. I have had 2 unintentional double taps negligent discharges(in about 400 rounds) from riding the reset a lil too light after the initial pull.

            Just takes some getting used to I suppose...
            FIFY

            Comment

            • #7
              saudadeii
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Dec 2012
              • 3468

              I'm in for the ride.

              I have 2 PPQ's (well, I will as of tomorrow). I also have an M&P9, M&P9C. Both M&Ps have "improved" S&W parts (H stamp trigger bar, new slide stop, 9C has performance center sear), but these are all S&W parts.

              My biggest complaint is the amount of flex I feel in the hinged trigger. I may put the APEX poly trigger in them.
              My Marketplace Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k#post54003245

              Comment

              • #8
                penguinofsleep
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2012
                • 2070

                The ppq trigger is not actually as light as it may seem in the hands. If you measure a ppq with a trigger pull gauge, it's actually about the same as an out of the box glock. I think the main difference is they did a better job working within and executing the 5-6lb parameter.

                With that being said, I double tapped once as well within he first 50 rounds of shooting a ppq. The double tap wasn't such a surprise that I missed the 8.5x8.5 sheet of paper the target was on, but I definitely didn't hit within the 10 or x on that one.
                Last edited by penguinofsleep; 09-13-2014, 11:21 AM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Justintoxicated
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 3836

                  I think you will be fine with any of these triggers

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bulletblood
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 753

                    Originally posted by penguinofsleep
                    The ppq trigger is not actually as light as it may seem in the hands. If you measure a ppq with a trigger pull gauge, it's actually about the same as an out of the box glock. I think the main difference is they did a better job working within and executing the 5-6lb parameter.
                    .
                    It's the lack of a good tactile break. Most of the weight comes from the spring resistance, I believe, and not the break between the sear and striker mechanism.
                    Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bulletblood
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2013
                      • 753

                      Originally posted by saudadeii
                      I'm in for the ride.

                      I have 2 PPQ's (well, I will as of tomorrow). I also have an M&P9, M&P9C. Both M&Ps have "improved" S&W parts (H stamp trigger bar, new slide stop, 9C has performance center sear), but these are all S&W parts.

                      My biggest complaint is the amount of flex I feel in the hinged trigger. I may put the APEX poly trigger in them.
                      You won't regret going with the poly trigger kit. It really will transform the gun into something outstanding. I recommend installing the duty trigger spring vs the lighter competition spring on your compact model.
                      Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        stormvet
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 12681

                        Originally posted by deephouse
                        That's a good point about the PPQ trigger. I have had 2 unintentional double taps (in about 400 rounds) from riding the reset a lil too light after the initial pull.

                        Just takes some getting used to I suppose...
                        I agree, I do not carry mine for this reason.
                        Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Click Boom
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Nov 2013
                          • 6955

                          I just keep coming back to stock glocks...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mrfat
                            Member
                            • Feb 2014
                            • 208

                            Originally posted by Omnomagon
                            We've heard plenty about the VP9 and PPQ triggers, which almost always come with the "out of the box" caveat.

                            How do they compare with an M&P with an Apex DCAEK trigger?
                            They are all very good but different. I like triggers that break early and don't have a lot of travel. Ones that break to the rear of the trigger guard usually cause my finger to slip a bit and thus it's not optimal for accuracy.

                            I take it you have an M&P so when was it made? The older ones have a pretty mushy trigger so the APEX kit will help a lot. I like the ergos of the VP9 and am biased towards it though. Even when I pulled my shots I still knew where they were gonna hit. But if I have to "settle" for a PPQ then I'll be perfectly happy with it as it's a very good gun as well. Even a stock m&p is good though I probably would install an Apex kit.

                            If you're debating between APEX kit for the m&p or getting a VP9 or PPQ then I'd opt for the latter if you can afford it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              sholling
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 10360

                              I can't speak for the others but the Apex DCAEK is what the M&P's factory trigger should have been. Although it has almost as much take-up as the factory trigger it makes up for it with a crisp 5-1/2lb break, quick reset, and reduced grit. And, with a wee bit of polishing and deburring you can get just about all of the grit out. To me, when installed correctly and set to 5-1/2lbs, it's the ideal trigger for a pistol that does not have a manual safety.

                              Apex's forward set sear (FSS) kit is a whole different critter and will get you darn close to the feel of a 1911. It's not quite as perfect as a well tuned 1911, but it's as close as you'll find in a striker fired pistol. It has almost no over-travel and depending on the return spring it can be set for ~4lb or ~5-1/2lbs. This one is almost too light and quick for a no-safety manual pistol.

                              What I have compared them to are a few XD pistols. The XDs that I've examined had long but smooth trigger pulls with a nice crisp break. Unfortunately, they suffered from lots of over-travel and a very-very long and very indistinct reset. There may be a fix for that but I don't know what it would be.
                              Last edited by sholling; 09-13-2014, 11:25 PM.
                              "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                              Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1