Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Good handgun for a beginner?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sikvenum93
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2014
    • 2181

    Good handgun for a beginner?

    So my friend just turned 21 and he is ready to make his first handgun purchase. Since I'm still a novice, I thought I'd come here for some advice on his behalf. I have gone to the range with him twice and he's shot my Glock, a couple 1911s, an XD, a Ruger LCR and a 6 inch .357 S&W revolver. I'm trying to get him into autoloaders but he is just infatuated with revolvers which I have no experience with. He's a short guy(only 5"6) and it seemed to me he could barely handle the recoil of both the revolvers he tried. I know some people swear by them, but are revolvers really a good first handgun? I've tried them and I just don't see the appeal of a gun that takes longer to reload, has more recoil(compared to a Glock) and has a smaller magazine size. I guess I just don't want my buddy to buy a gun he can't handle and then he quits shooting altogether. Any recommendations on whether or not a revolver would be fine and what models would be extremely helpful thanks!
    Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus
  • #2
    ElDub1950
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2012
    • 5688

    Whatever he likes and will practice with is what he should get.

    Rental ranges are the places to go. He might have to visit 2 or 3 to find the variety he want to try out.

    Just because you're not big on revolvers doesn't mean it not the best for your friend. His decision to make.

    Comment

    • #3
      Alexander831
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 958

      Smith & Wesson 686+ or Ruger gp100 in 357. Cant go wrong with either very accurate and reliable. Problem solved.

      Comment

      • #4
        Lead Waster
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2010
        • 16650

        Originally posted by Alexander831
        Smith & Wesson 686+ or Ruger gp100 in 357. Cant go wrong with either very accurate and reliable. Problem solved.
        I agree here if it's a revolver he wants. Or a 627, 8 rounds of 357!

        If he agrees to auto loaders ... I would have said a glock 17 or 19, but now that I have one, I'd say a walther ppq.
        ==================

        sigpic


        Remember to dial 1 before 911.

        Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

        There. Are. Four. Lights!

        Comment

        • #5
          Sikvenum93
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2014
          • 2181

          Originally posted by Alexander831
          Smith & Wesson 686+ or Ruger gp100 in 357. Cant go wrong with either very accurate and reliable. Problem solved.
          TY for the suggestion. I'll find a range that stocks those guns.
          Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus

          Comment

          • #6
            Novak77
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 632

            Originally posted by Alexander831
            Smith & Wesson 686+ or Ruger gp100 in 357. Cant go wrong with either very accurate and reliable. Problem solved.
            This ^^^^^^^.

            Can't go wrong with a revolver. He can shoot .38 out of it and it will help with the recoil.

            Comment

            • #7
              Nguyen
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2013
              • 3000

              A glock 19


              "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
              - Dianne Feinstein

              Comment

              • #8
                philobeddoe
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2007
                • 2022

                I agree on the S&W 686+

                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                NRA MEMBERSHIP


                GOA MEMBERSHIP

                Comment

                • #9
                  kjv146
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 898

                  He loves revolvers. Has he shot a semi auto handgun yet? I'd definitely have him go rent some. Glocks and XDs are a good start, and can be found for rent at most ranges.
                  He who keepeth his mouth, keepeth his life. But he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction. Proverbs 13:3

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TacticalThug
                    Member
                    • Aug 2014
                    • 230

                    What does he think about your lcrs? I love mine
                    WTB Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Stainless Steel and Black bought a Kimber Stainless instead baby.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      003
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 3436

                      Hard to go wrong with a quality Ruger .22 pistol. Perhpas one of the .22/45's. While it may not be the macho gun, it is the best way to learn, and an excellent first gun.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mr.Cip
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2013
                        • 784

                        Originally posted by Lead Waster
                        I agree here if it's a revolver he wants. Or a 627, 8 rounds of 357!



                        If he agrees to auto loaders ... I would have said a glock 17 or 19, but now that I have one, I'd say a walther ppq.

                        I have a GP100 stainless four inch and I really like it. It's just a perfect fit and balance in my hands. I can shoot .38 special for range practice and .357 mag for defense.
                        I also have a Glock 19 which I enjoy shooting. Not really a range gun but fun to own and shoot. Not a great grip, but the gun is simple and efficient. 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper than .38/.357.
                        I currently have PPQ in jail. I'm looking forward to it. The grip feels really good. It may become my favorite over the GP100.


                        Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mikeyr
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2011
                          • 1554

                          we are all different, you don't see his preference for a revolver but I don't see yours for a autoloader. Don't get me wrong, I own a couple but they are more or less safe queens that come out to play maybe once a year, my revolvers come out of the safe and play almost every weekend.

                          Can't go wrong with a Ruger .357, it can shoot 38 and 357 so it doubles your chances of finding ammo to go shooting with (until he starts reloading anyway). My favorite pistol is my Beretta 92FS but i still prefer revolvers.

                          Go to a range that rents a variety of toys and let him decide what he wans.
                          sigpic
                          NRA Benefactor Member
                          . CRPA Member

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            RedFord150
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 5665

                            Originally posted by Sikvenum93
                            ...he is just infatuated with revolvers ...it seemed to me he could barely handle the recoil of both the revolvers he tried. ...
                            What type of ammo was he shooting?
                            A Ruger GP100 and a Smith & Wesson 686 are both fairly heavy .357 magnum revolvers. If your friend is a novice, he should start with .38 Special wadcutters in the lightest possible loads. Yes, a .357 mag will safely shoot .38 special.
                            As your friend improves, he can move up to heavier .38 special loads and eventually transition to .357 mag.
                            A heavy revolver shooting light loads should be very easy to manage.
                            Before your friend buys anything, he should complete a beginner handgun course at a local indoor range. After receiving some good instruction, the decision might be much easier to make.
                            God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              krpduner
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 199

                              The first handgun I fired was a 1911, My first handgun I bought was a 9 shot 22 revolver cause thats what I could afford, my next handgun was a Colt 1911 series 80. I have fired 99% and now carry a 1911 as I like it best. I have numerous others but like the 1911 style the best. Dont shy away from 1911's because many are unfamiliar or nervous about them. Shoot many if you can and get what you like best be it Glock,S&W,revolver, SA etc. JMHO.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1