Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

?? pocket pistol , derringer ??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • palmtree
    Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 289

    ?? pocket pistol , derringer ??

    I'm curious of what caliber to be the best for a short barreled mini pistol. I have an understanding about what caliber does what, but now were talking an extremely short barrel. I figured you guys would have a better understanding than I would on how fast different loads or calibers burn. What I mean is, a .357 may have more gusto than a .38, but out of a 1.5" barrel, it may not make much difference. I'd like to avoid any excess recoil that's not helping the drive of the slug. A 22 mag sounded good, so did a 9mm. Also wondering if any of you owned any of these, or had any experience, or advice on which ones to avoid or buy. There are cobras that are around 125.00, which sounds scarringly cheap to me, but, I don't know. Also mini revolvers by north american arms look tempting, but are in 22 mag only. The purpose for the gun would be for having in a pocket for self defense. So size and weight is a factor. The 22 mag in cobra is 9.5 oz, and the 9mm is 14 oz. They offer the .25 cal, and the .32 cal, which I always thought of as worthless calibers, but now, again, what fires best considering the barrel length and recoil?? thanks
  • #2
    slayer61
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2014
    • 1402

    Years ago I had a Buffalo Arms model 1 in .357 mag.


    Kicked like a mule and wasn't accurate across a card table never mind, across a room
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Paul

    Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member


    Bobby Sands

    Comment

    • #3
      1CavScout
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2013
      • 3234

      I have a derringer in .38 special, and it is also not accurate at all. Cool conversation piece, but I would not carry it.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        I have "a few" mouse guns. Even .22lr can be a handful. I do enjoy shooting .22short in my "Lord" copy and in my Sharps pepperbox copy.
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #5
          Sunday
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2010
          • 5574

          J frame of your choice. $$2 or 642 would be a good choice. No magnums.
          California's politicians and unionized government employees are a crime gang that makes the Mexican drug cartels look like a Girl Scout Troop in comparison.

          Comment

          • #6
            TMB 1
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2012
            • 7153

            Colt Agent 38 special & 38 special derringer make a good pair.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Malaprop14
              Member
              • Jun 2014
              • 488

              I think you already answered your own question - "Best" caliber is sort of irrelevant because you are looking for something that is truly last resort as opposed to an empty hand. You aren't going to get ideal velocity or accuracy out of a very short barrel and that isn't the point of something like that, because you aren't going to go target shooting with it. Something that is unpleasant to shoot is still not a great idea, but then you don't have to wonder if it is "enough" or not.
              Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but do it first.

              Comment

              • #8
                palmtree
                Member
                • Dec 2013
                • 289

                thanks for the replies. I know it's a tough question. But I'm thinking someone whos really into the science of how fast these powders or calibers burn might be able to help some

                Comment

                • #9
                  DannyInSoCal
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 8271

                  I have a 6 shot Sterling Arms semi-auto in 22LR -

                  1 foot groups at 7 yards.

                  Thats why they call them belly guns....
                  .
                  $500 Donation to any Veterans Charity - Plus $500 Gift Card to any gun store: Visit 2nd Amendment Mortgage / www.2AMortgage.com

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SkyHawk
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 23531

                    Speer makes a specific Gold Dot ammo line for short barrels. http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

                    They also have a new 22WMR short barrel defense round, 1050FPS from a 1.9" barrel http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/954.htm

                    I carry the 135 grain GDHP-SB .357 Mag in my 2.25" SP101
                    Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sealocan
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 9956

                      I agree with what sunday set the best solution for pockets is a 38 Smith and Wesson revolver Model 642 or 442.
                      but it sounds like you've got your head set on a Derringer so my recommendation for that ( and I've had a Davis 32 ACP... the exact same designs that Cobra does now.)
                      the smaller Cobra derringer are in the 32 acp,25 acp,and 22lr and 22 Magnum.

                      if you want to buy it 38 or 9 mm that the frame is actually much bigger... not that I would choose either one of them for defense or daily carry. they are cheap and even the safety was designed going the wrong direction.

                      I think the only derringer I would carry is the older high standard design made when things were better quality in the USA.
                      I believe they come in 22 long rifle and 22 Magnum and I like those because the trigger is long double action instead of a really stiff single action as in most derringers.

                      the high standard design has no cocking of the hammer! you just pull a long trigger it fires,
                      and you have an instant second shot as well..no hammer just the trigger.

                      most folks go for something between these two solutions which is the North American Arms micro revolvers all are single action, so you have the cock the hammer but at least if you leave it on the safety notches ,it is somewhat safe in your pocket.but if you get one with a extra conversion cylender,
                      that'll give you the 22 rimfire for cheap ammunition and the 22 Magnum for defense.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        palmtree
                        Member
                        • Dec 2013
                        • 289

                        well , thanks for all the responses. Sky Hawk, good find on that ammo. I din't realize these things were quite that inaccurate. But for the size and convenience, that must be what we get. Well as far as narrowing down what brand or model, I'm still undecided. Those Davis's sealocan mentioned, got my attention. I'm wondering about what years those were made here in CA. I wonder if a used one would be better than a cobra? I think I'd be afraid of any double action, or the high standard your talking about, to have in my pocket. Funny you brought up the north american revolvers. I saw those. I'm wondering how much thicker those are than the standard cobra derringer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are single action. That's pretty nice those north americans fit 5 bullets in there. I'm lost on how or what the safety notches are though. heres a link to something that weighs 7.5 oz. Weight is an issue also. I know this isn't something desireable to holde while shooting, but 99.999 percent of the time, it would be in my pocket. You guys have any thoughts on this thing http://www.amderringer.com/m7.html

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Donkeypunch0420
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 1460

                          I have a couple derringers, but would never carry them for protection. They're cute and interesting, but there are so many more viable choices that are not that much larger. Still I will always own at least one derringer, just for novelty purposes.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mrblah
                            Member
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 221

                            i have a 38 special derringer made by cobra that I bought for 100 bucks, and even then I think I over paid.

                            Its a POS, but man does it get alot of attention when I bring it out. I dunno if its because its a shiny pimp gun, or its because I can't even hit paper with it at 10 yards...who knows.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1