Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Choosing handgun, tactile response

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 10shootter
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2014
    • 29

    Choosing handgun, tactile response

    Hello Calgunners:
    I'm a noobie choosing a 9mm polymer (probably) for combination of range and SD/HD; not contemplating CCW but can not rule that out. In (mostly) handling and (some) shooting the past month, I had strong responses to the complete ergononic and tactile set of a handgun (i.e. ultra positive to Walther PPQ, positive in various ways to Beretta PX4, XD and Sig 2022; negative to Glock and S&W). This includes fit in hand, trigger, how it feels and sounds when racked, change clip, etc. Questions:

    1) All of these brands have good to great reliability and accuracy, should this tactile response still be my primary mechanism for making my choice?

    2) I desire a single gun for the next few years, what parameters would a maturing shooter come to appreciate more over time compared to the others; i.e. given experience, how does one change as a shooter, and how would that affect their original purchase choice?

    Thanking you all in advance.
  • #2
    crob
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 515

    Ergonomics are a pretty important factor, although some will compromise and learn to shoot what does not fit their hand well. Trigger pull is also important, but again others either replace or adapt to what they have. As far as the sound a gun makes when racking the slide, I don't see how that would influence your decision. If you are a tinkerer, the Glock is your gun as they have the most after market parts followed by the Springfield and M&P. If you are the type of person to buy and leave it as is, then it really boils down to what you shoot best.

    ETA- If you are going to shoot the gun regularly and compete or train with it, you will quickly learn whether the gun is right for you or what changes you will want/need to make. If you will take it to the range every once in a while and just become familiar with it, then by all means go with what you like best.
    Last edited by crob; 07-24-2014, 9:58 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      dub9onthagrind
      Banned
      • Jun 2014
      • 54

      Take it from me, get what you want even if it means spending a little more. Don't have buyer's remorse. I have only shot the XD, Glock, and S&W so I can't contribute to those other ones, but I am sure they are just as reliable. Best advice anyone is going to give you is to go try them and see what you decide yourself. Also they will tell you to get some proper training first as well. Good luck!

      Comment

      • #4
        9mmepiphany
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2008
        • 8075

        Originally posted by 10shootter
        1) All of these brands have good to great reliability and accuracy, should this tactile response still be my primary mechanism for making my choice?
        I've found that without prior training that how a gun feels in your hand is overrated as a factor in choice.

        In my experience, guns which have felt blocky in my hand have turned out to be great shooters and very comfortable guns have turned out to be almost unshootable

        2) I desire a single gun for the next few years, what parameters would a maturing shooter come to appreciate more over time compared to the others; i.e. given experience, how does one change as a shooter, and how would that affect their original purchase choice?
        Everything about shooting a handgun is a progression as opposed to a set goal.

        1. As your skill level increases, it is not uncommon to prefer a more simple sight picture.
        2. The feel of a trigger becomes more important, in it's control, than the distance it travels from takeup to let off
        3. You discover that you don't have to pay conscious attention to things fixated on when you started; like lateral sight alignment or breathing
        4. You'll find that much of handgun shooting is counter intuitive
        5. You discover that to shoot well, the results are less important than the process

        If you are already looking at a SSE (Walther), you might take a look at the H&K VP and the SIG 320
        Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 07-24-2014, 10:24 AM.
        ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

        Comment

        • #5
          71MUSTY
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2014
          • 7029

          Get a S&W M&P Shield. Not overly expensive, dependable, accurate, easy to shoot, good ergonomics, and fairly easy to resale later.
          Only slaves don't need guns

          Originally posted by epilepticninja
          Americans vs. Democrats
          We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


          We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


          What doesn't kill me, better run

          Comment

          • #6
            Trenchfoot
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2012
            • 7293

            To me, comfort is close to the top of the list. If a gun isn't comfortable to you, you won't take it to the range as much.

            Comment

            • #7
              gumby
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2007
              • 2331

              Try and shoot as many pistols as you can, then decide. I went with the px4, fwiw.

              Comment

              • #8
                Malaprop14
                Member
                • Jun 2014
                • 488

                Originally posted by 71MUSTY
                Get a S&W M&P Shield. Not overly expensive, dependable, accurate, easy to shoot, good ergonomics, and fairly easy to resale later.
                For eventual carry I agree, but seems to be looking at full size currently so I don't think that's what the OP is considering currently. To the OP, that is a consideration though, because carrying a full size pistol is very different than carrying a small concealable one and they are chosen for different situations usually.

                OP, do you have shooting experience with a variety of firearms already? Feel is very important, but that is sort of the first step in narrowing down which ones to shoot. I also didn't like the feel of the Glocks, but I enjoy shooting them. I was set on an XD full size and after shooting all three (XD, Glock and M&P), I chose the M&P. I shot the M&P equally well and felt the ergonomics were better for me than the others. That doesn't mean I don't like the others.
                Last edited by Malaprop14; 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM.
                Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but do it first.

                Comment

                • #9
                  hermosabeach
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 19807

                  +100

                  Originally posted by Trenchfoot
                  To me, comfort is close to the top of the list. If a gun isn't comfortable to you, you won't take it to the range as much.
                  Find a buddy who has a variety of firearms to shoot...
                  Or go to an Indoor range that rents guns and will let you shoot a ton of makes and models...


                  If it is not for concealment, then a bigger gun is usually nicer to shoot...
                  The full size Glock 17 is easier to shoot than the small Glock 26.


                  A 6" smith & Wesson revolver is nicer to shoot than the 1.75" J frame...


                  Many small guns are harder to run the slide... especially for female shooters...





                  At the end of the day, the model of firearm does not matter.... Any modern made firearm in a decent caliber will work just fine.....


                  Is it the soccer ball that gets your team to the World Cup?

                  Is it the jersey that gets your team to the Super Bowl?

                  Is it the clubs that wins the PGA?

                  Why do the top players have personal coaches?
                  Why do top players practice what the coaches teach?

                  Why does a CEO have an MBA and executive education class certificates??



                  It is about formal instruction to make one better.


                  focus on becoming proficient with what ever you purchase...
                  Last edited by hermosabeach; 07-24-2014, 11:28 AM.
                  Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

                  Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

                  Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

                  Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                  (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Thermapen
                    Junior Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • 88

                    Tactile response is one variable for me, an important one among others. My search began after trying a friend's Sig P229 .40 with standard grips. Some folks prefer thinner grips, but it was a nice shooting experience for me. I also looked at what caliber would be suitable (affordable, felt recoil for SO, accomplishing my intent of use). Tried a variety of handguns in .40 and 9mm. When it came time to purchase, I was happy to find a P229 9mm; once I brought it home, I felt that the E2 grip was not thick enough for me. But as another poster mentioned, one can also adapt and the grips are fine by me as I train more.

                    I wanted to like the Glock platform and rented several times. Consistently, the experience was more distracting (indent on trigger guard rubs my middle finger) on G19 & G26 compared to their good points.

                    I like learning the options of a DA/SA trigger and also wanted to be adept with a polymer striker. PPQ was a fair option to the Glock, even though I haven't shot one before SSE.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      floogy
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 2741

                      If you really like the feel of a PPQ, go with that. I don't have one but it's certainly a quality gun and I doubt you would have buyer's remorse. My first handgun was a Tec 9 so if you get a PPQ you'll be light years ahead in quality for your first one.

                      Plus, the PPQ will not be available for the peasantry starting Jan 1 2015. If you don't like it, you will be able to trade up because it can no longer be SSE.

                      Careful though. You can't own just one.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        PandaBear
                        Member
                        • Apr 2013
                        • 485

                        PPQ.
                        Fantastic ergonomics.
                        Fantastic trigger.
                        Mags drop free like butter.
                        M1 is fully ambidextrous.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SoGetThis
                          Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • 304

                          Tactile response over what other parameters?

                          Let's say you get a gun that feels like a 2x4 in your hands. The trigger safety digs into your index finger and the trigger guard and finger grooves contribute to an uncomfortable grip. Maybe the low bore axis and lack of pronounced beaver tail causes slide bite. But for whatever reason you are most accurate shooting that gun. Is that the gun for you?

                          Or perhaps a gun fits your hand well and you like various tactile features of it but when you shoot it you can barely hit paper at 10 yards. Do you buy that learn to shoot properly?

                          Either one could potentially put you off to shoot.

                          For a novice shooter I find the most important aspect is finding a gun that encourages the person to shoot. That will be based on various parameters and will differ for everyone. Find the gun you like to shoot and that will be a good starting platform.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ersatz
                            Member
                            • Oct 2008
                            • 329

                            Your tactile response to a gun is likely to change over time due to various reasons. As such it might not be the best metric to base a decision upon. As your technique develops, age settles upon you, or injuries creep in you might find that 'tactile' features you liked now become annoyances.

                            You could look for a gun that has a high degree of customization so it can change as your preferences develop.
                            **WTB: FNS-9, P07 or P09, Steyr M9A1, Canik Shark FC or Stingray. PM me w/offers**

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              nikki#2
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 2164

                              Originally posted by floogy
                              If you really like the feel of a PPQ, go with that. I don't have one but it's certainly a quality gun and I doubt you would have buyer's remorse. My first handgun was a Tec 9 so if you get a PPQ you'll be light years ahead in quality for your first one.

                              Plus, the PPQ will not be available for the peasantry starting Jan 1 2015. If you don't like it, you will be able to trade up because it can no longer be SSE.

                              Careful though. You can't own just one.
                              +1. The PPQ is 'singing' to you... Go with it!

                              Having said that... similar to a beautiful woman that fits so well and you're so enamored with, your tastes & interests will change, so expect that.
                              The awesome thing with guns is, there's no pressure to stick with one, and if you decide to part ways, you will lose very little monetarily.
                              So... ummm... I guess my point is... that PPQ is a much smarter investment than a beautiful woman!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1