Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Refinishing a P228?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jaybird
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 1145

    Refinishing a P228?

    Just recently picked up a used German P228 from a fellow Calgunner and was thinking of getting the finish redone on both slide and frame. Both show some wear from previous owners and I thought a new finish of some type would help make her look pretty again. Any suggestions as to where I might find someone in SoCal that can do this? Or ideas from Sig owners that have done this type of work to their pistols? Please share and thanks in advance. Y'all take care now.
    Last edited by Jaybird; 07-01-2014, 10:50 PM.
  • #2
    TrojanX4
    Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 341

    Ok, most purest Sig owners would try to talk you out of refinishing a P228 and would prefer the natural patina of a well used West German Sig.

    Having said that, although I have one foot in that camp, I'm not totally opposed to restoring the finish. If it were me, I'd decide if you want a black finish or a two tone finish or a full nickel finish.

    But before you restore it be sure to take lots of photos and document the condition before the restoration. That way you can prove to a new owner that the gun was in good overall condition and the restoration was not done to hide or mask any issues with the gun.

    If you want a black finish you have a couple of options that are popular amongst Sig collectors:

    (1) Robar Roguard finish: http://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/roguard/

    (2) CCR - Cera-hide House Black finish

    CCR Firearm Refinishing services, quality craftsmanship at an affordable price. Refinishing of handguns,rifles,shotguns using Cera-Hide a teflon/moly based ceramic coating.


    If you want a harder finish rather than a coating I like Black Chrome:

    (3) APW Cogan. - Black Chrome - Not as used by Sig owners but I love this finish



    Anything other than all black then you should have the plating done by:

    (1) Robar - NP3 finish nickel-Teflon

    (2) CCR - Cera-Plate Nickel-boran. Has a more goldish tint to it which some Sig collections feel is closer to the older sig original factory sub contracted plating.

    If you decide on a two tone or full nickel finish be sure to do your research and have it done to the factory specs for your vintage P228. That will help with resale.

    If you plan to ever resale your P228 don't go,cheap and pay a little extra to do the job right. The P228 is a classic Sig, one of the best models ever produced, take great care of it.
    Last edited by TrojanX4; 07-01-2014, 10:08 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      ShooterStymie
      Member
      • Dec 2012
      • 498

      If there is something like rust or pitting then it might be worth getting refinished. If it's just normal wear, I'd suggest leaving it.

      I do know that Sig has some factory refinishing options and stuff like bead blasting to make a nitron finished gun stainless. Never considered it myself.

      Comment

      • #4
        TrojanX4
        Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 341

        Originally posted by ShooterStymie
        If there is something like rust or pitting then it might be worth getting refinished. If it's just normal wear, I'd suggest leaving it.

        I do know that Sig has some factory refinishing options and stuff like bead blasting to make a nitron finished gun stainless. Never considered it myself.
        I personally would not have Sig Nitron coat any of my Sigs, not a big fan of the finish, plus the P228s were coated with Ifalon Also you can't bead blast a P228 because the frame is anodized aluminum and the slide is not stainless steel. I did try to have Sig bead blast my p229 though and I was shocked how badly it was butchered , my slide was destroyed to the point that Sig agreed to replace it for me. Credit to them for making it right though
        Last edited by TrojanX4; 07-01-2014, 10:38 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          Jaybird
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 1145

          Thanks guys. Kinda like the idea of a two tone finish. Have a P245 with a nickel slide and black frame and love that look. I hear ya too about keeping it in original condition. Got bored the other day and took the breech block apart so now the slide is bare bones. That's what got me thinking about a new finish. Still undecided but great ideas from Trojanx4. Thanks again.

          Comment

          • #6
            Gary13
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 1523

            Had my P6 redone by CCR, believe I had them use House Black on frame and slide. While apart they changed out to new springs and replaced my sights with parts I supplied. I am very happy with the end result. They do good work and were great to work with.

            Comment

            • #7
              bsg
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2009
              • 25954

              if the finish is original, i suggest you leave it alone.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1