Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 Shooting Low

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    nahpungnome
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 2159

    Originally posted by Snoopy47
    So all other pistols you have you're able to dill the 9 ring at 25 yards, and erase the X ring at 10?

    Army Marksmanship Unit's Pistol Training Guide:
    Small business web hosting offering additional business services such as: domain name registrations, email accounts, web services, FrontPage help, online community resources and various small business solutions.


    All pistols are going to group if the sights aren't moving around. i.e. the barrel and sight relationship is constant with each shot.

    My money is on flinching.

    Oh yea.................why is it no one ever complains about shooing high?
    I certainly hope that nobody would admit shooting high :P

    Comment

    • #17
      Sergius
      Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 150

      Thanks all for the advice, I'll try shooting off a sandbag or letting a proficient shooter use the pistol and report back.

      Comment

      • #18
        Elchief
        Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 121

        make sure you aim according to the type of sights you have as in combat sights vs target sights. how are you aiming your gun, covering it with the front sight dot as you would with combat sights or cutting the target in half with the top of the front sight?

        Comment

        • #19
          Sergius
          Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 150

          I'm using a 6 o'clock hold. So underneath the target.

          Comment

          • #20
            XDJYo
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2012
            • 7093

            A few things to consider.

            1-How far is the target? 7 yards? 10? 15 or 25?
            2-How far underneath the target do you hold? (In my limited experience, I find that if I put the "x" of the bullseye right on top of the top of the front sight, I can hit the X no problem. If I put the bottom of the black circle of the target, I will hit the bottom of the black circle of the target.

            Just those few things will help us understand a little bit better what is happening when you shoot.

            Hope this helps bud!
            Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
            Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
            Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
            M&P 15 (Mine)

            Comment

            • #21
              Sergius
              Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 150

              Originally posted by XDJYo
              A few things to consider.

              1-How far is the target? 7 yards? 10? 15 or 25?
              2-How far underneath the target do you hold? (In my limited experience, I find that if I put the "x" of the bullseye right on top of the top of the front sight, I can hit the X no problem. If I put the bottom of the black circle of the target, I will hit the bottom of the black circle of the target.

              Just those few things will help us understand a little bit better what is happening when you shoot.

              Hope this helps bud!
              At 15, 6 o'clock hold, I hit underneath the black circle. At 10 yards, same hold, hitting underneath the bottom of the black circle. Guess that's part of the problem. I'll remember to hold it under the X. Mind you I'm a rifle shooter and use a 6 o'clock hold and hit the 10 or 9 ring no problem.

              Comment

              • #22
                XDJYo
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2012
                • 7093

                Originally posted by Sergius
                At 15, 6 o'clock hold, I hit underneath the black circle. At 10 yards, same hold, hitting underneath the bottom of the black circle. Guess that's part of the problem. I'll remember to hold it under the X. Mind you I'm a rifle shooter and use a 6 o'clock hold and hit the 10 or 9 ring no problem.
                Try the 2nd sight picture on your next range visit and see if that doesn't solve most of the problem.

                Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                M&P 15 (Mine)

                Comment

                • #23
                  akdmx
                  Member
                  • May 2011
                  • 171

                  Are you shooting 230gr bullets? You probably have your gun calibrated for 180gr. Those heavy 45s really do drop like a sack of potatoes. (jk)

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    ruchik
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 1189

                    Originally posted by Sergius
                    I'm using a 6 o'clock hold. So underneath the target.
                    Well there's your problem. Take a look at the following three pictures.



                    I'm assuming you're using the sight picture on the left. Try the middle and right ones and that should take care of your problem. There's nothing wrong with your sights; your gun is sending your bullets below the black because that's where your gun is aiming.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Speedpower
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 2238

                      Originally posted by Sergius
                      Unfortunately, my range doesn't have sandbags available, nor do I have any. I'd like to get some try, I'm not taking myself out of the equation.

                      My front sight height is whatever came stock on a Colt O1991. It looks pretty tall to me. Definitely not GI style. If I had to guess, I'd say the front sight is about 5mm's in height.

                      EDIT: Just measured the height and it is in fact 5mm's in height.
                      5mm front sight is about .197 so it's either a .195 or a .200 front sight which is too tall, all Colts I've got had .180 and it shoots POA/POI, no wonder it shoots low, you definitely need a lower front sight

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Elchief
                        Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 121

                        can you post pics of your front and rear sights

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Elchief
                          Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • 121

                          Originally posted by ruchik
                          Well there's your problem. Take a look at the following three pictures.



                          I'm assuming you're using the sight picture on the left. Try the middle and right ones and that should take care of your problem. There's nothing wrong with your sights; your gun is sending your bullets below the black because that's where your gun is aiming.
                          yea shooting at 6 o clock is prob the problem like it was mentioned try the the middle one which is target sights and if its still shooting low try pic 3 which are combat sights.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Spaceghost
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2006
                            • 5772

                            I was expecting a RIA tactical to be the culprit. It seems a lot of people have them shoot low.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              bulletblood
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2013
                              • 753

                              just get this, can be used with a wide range of calibers, and you will save a ton of ammo on testing and second guessing.
                              Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                sid.nachman
                                Junior Member
                                • Apr 2014
                                • 3

                                Thanks for answer on shooting low. I've been shooting off-hand about 10 yards with my sig P938, getting 2" groups right under bull about a foot low. Haven't tried bench shooting as yet. My 22A1 with a red tight sight shoots 1" bulls eyes shooting off-hand at same distance. Any more suggestions!


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1