Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

EMP spitting brass in face

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cHaOs ReX
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 217

    EMP spitting brass in face

    So I took a couple shooting over the weekend with their brand new guns. My female friend was shooting her Springfield EMP in 9mm.

    The majority of the time the brass was ejecting either into her right shoulder or thereabouts. More than a few times it was ejecting right into her face.

    Is this common with the EMP?
  • #2
    Joe Register
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 1309

    From a sample set of one, no.

    Comment

    • #3
      ElDub1950
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2012
      • 5688

      wondering what happens when other people shoot it ...

      Comment

      • #4
        Old4eyes
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 1757

        I have 2 EMP, both 9mm. Neither is popping brass to my head, but I wear a small hat size if that is part of the equation.
        Send Lawyers, Guns and Money - On second thought, hold the Lawyers.

        Comment

        • #5
          JTROKS
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2007
          • 13093

          Is she limp wristing it?
          The wise man said just find your place
          In the eye of the storm
          Seek the roses along the way
          Just beware of the thorns...
          K. Meine

          Comment

          • #6
            Sam Z
            Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 366

            I am left handed and it didn't do that
            No Limit
            No Compromise
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              5ZS
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2014
              • 1047

              No one else was allowed to shoot it?

              Comment

              • #8
                cHaOs ReX
                Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 217

                I fired a few rounds from it. The brass didn't hit me in the face. Her husband fired a mag. I wasn't really paying close attention while I was shooting or while he was shooting.

                I saw it hit her a few times but I wasn't really watching for it. She mentioned it after we were done shooting.

                She probably was limp writing it. I took her shooting with my G26 a while back and she stove piped about twice a mag at least. I didn't think a 1911 style gun would be affected by limp writing.

                Comment

                • #9
                  JTROKS
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 13093

                  Coach her in holding guns firmly and locking her wrist. Maybe show her some grip techniques. Do some dry firing with her. Check on her hold to see if its loose or lack of wrist tension.
                  The wise man said just find your place
                  In the eye of the storm
                  Seek the roses along the way
                  Just beware of the thorns...
                  K. Meine

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tacticalcity
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 10929

                    Originally posted by ElDub1950
                    wondering what happens when other people shoot it ...
                    This is the answer, getting hit with brass more often than not is a symptom of limp wristing. Women in particular are prone to limp wristing. Not insluting them, you just see it a lot with new women shooters. Men do it too. Not as often. Men started strengthening their wrists right about the time they entered puberty, so there is a reason the experience it less often...kidding!

                    Limp wristing happens a lot on smaller guns, and the EMP is a smallish gun. Those guns are harder to hold/control and have less weight to absorb the felt recoil so fatigue sets in faster than it would on a full size gun in the same caliber. The shooters mind is telling the body what to do, but the body is tired and not listening. Next thing you know you're getting popped in the forehead with brass. Soon after you experience a failure to feed or two. All a result of fatigue/limp wristing. Seen it again and again.

                    Only after eliminating user error then start looking at the gun itself.
                    Last edited by tacticalcity; 05-23-2014, 2:15 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kel-tec-innovations
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 3931

                      Check the ejector. Its known to break in the EMP's their Metal injected molding ejectors.

                      I shot a brand new EMP 9, after 50 rounds the ejector snapped and the shells would fly up and land on my hand instead.

                      In some cases the Ejector breaks loose because its is GLUED on not pinned on.

                      Its a high dollar gun cutting corners.
                      WTS: Mossberg RARE Bullpup
                      WTS: Glock 27 Nickel Boron coated 2 tone
                      American Defense 20 MOA mount, AK47 AK74 Bullpup kit, Midwest AK rails Krink
                      WTS: 7n6 5.45x39 spam cans / Crates IE area Riverside San Bernardino

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jyo
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 5320

                        In recent years, I've shot three different EMPs (all 9mm) with factory bulk type ammo---none of them tossed brass back at me---neat little pistol...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kf6tac
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 1779

                          When I first got my EMP, my extractor didn't have quite enough tension on it and needed some tuning before it got up and running. And right about the time the extractor tension was fixed, I had the issue kel-tec-innovations mentioned with the glued-in ejector coming loose, so it had to go back to Springfield to get pinned. Since then, haven't had any problems with weak extraction or brass to the face.


                          Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kel-tec-innovations
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 3931

                            Originally posted by kf6tac
                            When I first got my EMP, my extractor didn't have quite enough tension on it and needed some tuning before it got up and running. And right about the time the extractor tension was fixed, I had the issue kel-tec-innovations mentioned with the glued-in ejector coming loose, so it had to go back to Springfield to get pinned. Since then, haven't had any problems with weak extraction or brass to the face.
                            Yup Springfield will pin it for free

                            If you need it pinned or anything fixed:

                            sales@springfield-armory.com (2 weeks to reply)
                            megan@springfield-armory.com (took 1 day to reply)

                            More emails and contacts http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-x...fax-email.html
                            WTS: Mossberg RARE Bullpup
                            WTS: Glock 27 Nickel Boron coated 2 tone
                            American Defense 20 MOA mount, AK47 AK74 Bullpup kit, Midwest AK rails Krink
                            WTS: 7n6 5.45x39 spam cans / Crates IE area Riverside San Bernardino

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1