Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Does the impulse to buy ever leave?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • timbo399
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 1765

    Does the impulse to buy ever leave?

    I'm happy with myriad of semis and few revolvers have bought over the years. Certainly have enough to last me rest of 4 lifetimes. But that impulse to get something new (or used) never leaves! Especially when people show off their new purchases in this section! I try to keep it in 9mm and .45 because that is what 90% of my handguns are, but there's always something that catches my eye and I end up not being able to resist. Whether its a new 1911, polymer, compact (if CCW ever happens in my lifetime), I just can't stop. I guess the plus side is handguns hold their resale value pretty well so can always sell a few if was in money crunch. As opposed to AR's, SCARs etc which the prices I see on FS section here are SO much lower than not just last year during the "bubble" , but last few years.

    Just so many options racing through my head on next purchase- Sig 1911 stainless, Sprinfield Operator 1911, Beretta 92 Inox (already have in black), Glock 19 (even though owned a Glock 17 years ago and sold it cause couldn't shoot worth a damn, everyone should have a glock 19 it seems just to round out the collection), etc, etc. and I haven't even gotten to the CZ's yet.

    Thing is I like to be proficient with my handguns and that being said I shoot my SW1911 and Beretta 92 the best (even though have higher end 9mm's such as HK etc I am most accurate w my Beretta 92). There is just always something to buy and that I want. As far as HD, I stick w my SW1911 as that was first handgun ever bought and has never had one ftf and have taken classes w it so that is my go to for bedside- but I' m talking range toys mostly, I really don't think it will ever stop.
    On the long gun side it has stopped, I have plenty and the cost (such as for my SCAR 17 and higher end ARs I have) is so much more I'm not into spending thousands of dollars so that is easy enough- But w handguns it's like- all I have to do is not buy my girlfriend a birthday present next month and I can have that 1911 I've been eye balling!!
    Last edited by timbo399; 05-01-2014, 12:11 AM.
  • #2
    nothinghere2c
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 2259

    it wore off for me when i got distracted with a different hobby

    Comment

    • #3
      Intimid8tor
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2007
      • 6607

      No.
      Starve the beast, move to a free state.

      Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."

      Comment

      • #4
        Marquand
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 1482

        Not for me. Like any other passion it just grows and grows, fed by both the discovery of older designs no longer produced and new designs that spark the imagination. Each new acquisition sates the hunger for a while but it always comes back.

        On a practical note, with all of the pending litigation and anti-gun sentiment here in sunny CA, this is probably not the time to stop buying. Get what you want while you still can.
        "A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

        Comment

        • #5
          timbo399
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 1765

          Originally posted by Marquand
          Not for me. Like any other passion it just grows and grows, fed by both the discovery of older designs no longer produced and new designs that spark the imagination. Each new acquisition sates the hunger for a while but it always comes back.

          On a practical note, with all of the pending litigation and anti-gun sentiment here in sunny CA, this is probably not the time to stop buying. Get what you want while you still can.
          yes i certainly will continue, it's inevitable. I always feel guilty after a pricier purchase but the guilt wears off in a week. And have a number of them not on roster anymore so if decide not for me anymore can sell them without losing a dime.

          Comment

          • #6
            Yugo
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2011
            • 8400

            Only when your man card gets taken by your women!


            NO ONE likes a quitter!
            sigpic

            Originally posted by WAMO556
            Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

            Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

            Umm yeah!!!!!

            Comment

            • #7
              timbo399
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2010
              • 1765

              Originally posted by nothinghere2c
              it wore off for me when i got distracted with a different hobby
              Yeah I was thinking of that. I'm overseas now and limited internet websites I am able to access but back in a week and was thinking of getting into archery, just crossed my mind the other day cause there is an archery club 5 min from where i live.

              Then again, my girlfriend , although not a shooter, does not frown upon my gun buying habits, heck it's my money, but at same time would be nice to get a hobby we both can do. Yes she has loved couple times i have taken her to the range but just not in her blood. But then what does that leave me with? Still may look into archery but if did it right sounds like would be expensive, so circled right back around to fact I could be using that money to buy more guns!!
              In my 20's all extra cash was considered beer money, now that I'm 40 it's considered gun money. And being single (well, not married) and same job for 15 years, it makes it way too easy to buy every time I see something I like!
              There are a lot of great people on this forum, but it has hit my bank account huge as there is always a deal in front of you since it's not like i stop by my local LGS every month.
              Last edited by timbo399; 05-01-2014, 1:16 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                Zartan
                In Memoriam
                • Nov 2010
                • 6269

                Not yet!
                "If he won't walk, walk him...be nice"
                -Dalton



                WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

                http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg

                Comment

                • #9
                  controlled_burst
                  Member
                  • May 2012
                  • 464

                  The first firearm I purchased for myself at 18 was a Maadi MISR AK clone and I haven't stopped yet. The addiction just evolves. In my 20's I was all about my semi auto rifles, early 30's shotguns, now in my mid 30's the pistol has taken over.

                  The addiction evolves as long as you feed it.

                  CB

                  Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
                  "Not the past, not the future, life is now."
                  Rickson Gracie
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                  ------------------

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Soldier415
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 9537

                    Nope. I've purchased 8 guns this year so far, 15k rounds of ammo, and yesterday two each of the sig SB15/SB47 pistol braces before they switch to the new longer model
                    Originally posted by harmoniums
                    Absolutely, I've refused sale before.
                    My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
                    Originally posted by bwiese
                    Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sojournertruth
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2014
                      • 270

                      depends how unrealistic you are about firearms..and whether or not you actually have a use for them or just have fantasies

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jwc
                        Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 453

                        Originally posted by Sojournertruth
                        depends how unrealistic you are about firearms..and whether or not you actually have a use for them or just have fantasies
                        Agreed. I learned a lot by trying and owning many different handguns, but once I understood there is no such thing as the perfect gun I picked the platform best suited to my needs and stuck with that. Focusing in on one manufacturer and once caliber really allowed me to improve my skills.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Soldier415
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 9537

                          Originally posted by Sojournertruth
                          depends how unrealistic you are about firearms..and whether or not you actually have a use for them or just have fantasies
                          Do tell...
                          Originally posted by harmoniums
                          Absolutely, I've refused sale before.
                          My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
                          Originally posted by bwiese
                          Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            afteractionreport
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2013
                            • 2867

                            No but not having the funds lets me put it to the back of my mind till i do....until then i just buy ammo here and there ...
                            Kyle "Kenosha Kid" Rittenhouse did nothing wrong

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              geoint
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2014
                              • 4385

                              This reminds me of the old 'Ill sleep when Im dead' except Id change it to 'Ill stop buying and playing with guns when Im dead'
                              Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

                              I Hate California.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1