Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thoughts on boresnake for cleaning?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Baerkeeper
    Member
    • Mar 2014
    • 111

    Thoughts on boresnake for cleaning?

    I'm a newbie and wanted to know if boresnakes does an efficient job in cleaning the barrel or if using a cleaning rod is better. I already have one for my .45 1911 and recently got a .9mm. Wasn't sure if I should get another boresnake for my ..9 mm.

    Only shot 400 rds thru my 1911 and the boresnake came out clean when I used it so not sure how well it works.
  • #2
    Capybara
    CGSSA Coordinator
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2012
    • 15648

    IMHO, Boresnakes are fine for casual cleaning after a few rounds but are not the way to really clean your guns effectively. You should have both Boresnakes and cleaning rods, brushes, jags, etc. I bring Boresnakes to the range in my bag and if I have only put a few rounds down the pipe, Boresnakes are fine. But when I need to do a real cleaning, remove heavy fouling or lead/copper from the barrel, Boresnakes are the wrong tool. BTW, excess cleaning causes more issues than it solves. I have a lot of C&R guns and excess cleaning is why we have to have counterbored Mosins. Just use common sense. If you put 1,000 rounds down a barrel, the gun needs to be cleaned properly, but if you bring five guns to the range and shoot 10-20 rounds from each, go easy on the cleaning, probably not needed.
    Last edited by Capybara; 04-20-2014, 9:24 PM.
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Shenaniguns
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2006
      • 6158

      For typical modern guns like Glock or the M&P a boresnake is all you need with a great Lube and cleaner like Weaponshield. I cleaned a buddies gun which had over 6,000 rounds since its last cleaning that was disgusting and after a few minutes of WS Solvent on the barrel I made 1 pass with the boresnake and it was already spotless inside. I was even shocked!
      My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

      Comment

      • #4
        GMG
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2008
        • 7974

        I use bore snakes on my hand guns as well as rifles. After about two bore snake cleanings I go to my Otis kit and do a through cleaning.
        sigpic

        A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

        Comment

        • #5
          trigger945
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2012
          • 5795

          I don't think it's enough.

          I use bore snakes as a final touch to my cleaning but I always clean with a brush first.

          This is just how I use bore snakes. Other people's method may be very different than mine.
          One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

          AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

          Comment

          • #6
            NastyNate
            Senior Member
            • May 2012
            • 1697

            I use a boresnake for field cleaning. After running a gun, I'll wet the boresnake with some solvent and run it through a couple times. This starts the cleaning process of breaking down the fouling while I am en route home to begin a final clean. In the event that I cannot clean my weapon immediately, the solvent continues to work to break down the fouling, allowing for a quicker cleaning once I get around to it.

            Some people will testify that a boresnake will do a complete clean but after running a boresnake through and thiking it's clean, run a squegee or a patch through. If it's dirty, your bore is not clean.
            -NN

            Comment

            • #7
              Shenaniguns
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2006
              • 6158

              Originally posted by NastyNate
              I use a boresnake for field cleaning. After running a gun, I'll wet the boresnake with some solvent and run it through a couple times. This starts the cleaning process of breaking down the fouling while I am en route home to begin a final clean. In the event that I cannot clean my weapon immediately, the solvent continues to work to break down the fouling, allowing for a quicker cleaning once I get around to it.

              Some people will testify that a boresnake will do a complete clean but after running a boresnake through and thiking it's clean, run a squegee or a patch through. If it's dirty, your bore is not clean.


              I have, and its clean.
              My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

              Comment

              • #8
                Arson
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2011
                • 1818

                I use them for a quick clean before I pack my firearms up after a day at the range. I clean them up further once I get home.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  cosmos7
                  Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 332

                  I use my boresnakes simply to make the job of cleaning easier. By running the boresnake through while the barrel's still warm at the range it helps break stuff up and remove a good chunk of the fouling, making for less cleaning time later.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    John Joseph
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2014
                    • 789

                    Bore snakes are fine for field cleaning when the barrel is still warm---they'll save a lot of time and patches when you get around to doing a thorough job with a cleaning rod. I wouldn't rely on one for removing much copper fouling if you're shooting a steady diet of metal jacketed ammo.

                    I'd rely more on Bore snakes for .22 target pistols because more .22s seem to be damaged from cleaning than anything else, HOWEVER .22 ammo can leave gritty buildup in a .22's innards so the action still needs to be field stripped
                    and cleaned. I also like using Bore snakes on revolvers which cannot be cleaned from the proper (breech) end although some revolvers & ammo combinations will leave copper or massive lead fouling, especially in the forcing cone area which will still require a silicon bronze brush and solvent for a good cleaning.
                    Bore snakes are also good for shotguns except for removing the plastic fouling from wads so don't let that plastic build up and goose the pressure.
                    A good aluminum cleaning rod, bronze brush and patch loop or jag is pretty cheap insurance considering.
                    I hope this helps!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Baerkeeper
                      Member
                      • Mar 2014
                      • 111

                      Thanks everyone.

                      I think I would like to to do both but I'm not sure what to buy. Those Hoppes cleaning kit is cheap on Amazon but it seems they break easily. So I would liketo buy them individually.

                      I think I need a cleaning rod, cleaning picks, patch holder, patches, and a brush.

                      I saw some jags but no idea what it's used for. Can someone please offer some insight on what else I may need?

                      If possible I would like to be a responsible owner and provide the best care to my new guns.

                      Edit: btw is CLP all I need to thoroughly clean? Or do I need something else to use as a solvent?
                      Edit2: thanks John Joseph. You answered some of my questions while I was posting.
                      Last edited by Baerkeeper; 04-20-2014, 9:55 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        John Joseph
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2014
                        • 789

                        I don't care for cleaning picks---IMHO, ordinary round wooden tooth picks suffice and won't scratch the finish. A jag is essentially another design for a patch holder---impale the center of your patch on the point and there you go. While a patch holder (loop style) will hold the patch going in both directions, a jag takes it on a one-way trip (you might get it going backwards, but you might also loose it in the bore)
                        What I also find handy---
                        An old tooth brush.
                        A laundered cloth cotton diaper for wiping down (no lint!)
                        Last edited by John Joseph; 04-20-2014, 10:02 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Powder_Keg
                          Senior Member
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 2203

                          Hey OP, I use both.

                          I still use a rod, bronze brush and Hoppe's 9 to clean my barrels. I use an odorless mineral spirit in a spray bottle to rinse it off. I use the bore snakes with a good amount of oil to finish the barrel off instead of running multiple patches.

                          I also spray/rinse the bronze brushes with mineral spirit when I'm done, a lot of fouling gets caught in between the bristles. After 3-4 sprays of mineral spirit, the drips turn from gray to clear and your done.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Baerkeeper
                            Member
                            • Mar 2014
                            • 111

                            Originally posted by John Joseph
                            I don't care for cleaning picks---IMHO, ordinary round wooden tooth picks suffice and won't scratch the finish. A jag is essentially another design for a patch holder---impale the center of your patch on the point and there you go. While a patch holder (loop style) will hold the patch going in both directions, a jag takes it on a one-way trip (you might get it going backwards, but you might also loose it in the bore)
                            What I also find handy---
                            An old tooth brush.
                            A laundered cloth cotton diaper for wiping down (no lint!)
                            I have a polymer pick in my cart thinking polymer won't scratch. Still no good?

                            Originally posted by Powder_Keg
                            Hey OP, I use both.

                            I still use a rod, bronze brush and Hoppe's 9 to clean my barrels. I use an odorless mineral spirit in a spray bottle to rinse it off. I use the bore snakes with a good amount of oil to finish the barrel off instead of running multiple patches.

                            I also spray/rinse the bronze brushes with mineral spirit when I'm done, a lot of fouling gets caught in between the bristles. After 3-4 sprays of mineral spirit, the drips turn from gray to clear and your done.
                            Is bronze brush safe to use? I feel like it'll scratch the barrel.

                            lol I know I'm a noob. that's why I'm here asking.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Shenaniguns
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 6158

                              Originally posted by Baerkeeper
                              Thanks everyone.

                              I think I would like to to do both but I'm not sure what to buy. Those Hoppes cleaning kit is cheap on Amazon but it seems they break easily. So I would liketo buy them individually.

                              I think I need a cleaning rod, cleaning picks, patch holder, patches, and a brush.

                              I saw some jags but no idea what it's used for. Can someone please offer some insight on what else I may need?

                              If possible I would like to be a responsible owner and provide the best care to my new guns.

                              Edit: btw is CLP all I need to thoroughly clean? Or do I need something else to use as a solvent?
                              Edit2: thanks John Joseph. You answered some of my questions while I was posting.


                              Not all CLP's are created equally, I've used WS CLP and grease for years and they did come out with a solvent that does work extremely well.
                              My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1